Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Mets licked balls this year

calebdead

Making a point to say that the Mets finished with a winning record would be OK if you were the fucking Detroit Tigers but the Mets had the second highest payroll in baseball. They should be making the playoffs, not having their balls tingle just 'cuz they finished over .500 Bottom line, they went out and bought Glavine, Matsui, Beltran, Pedro, Cameron, Floyd, etc.,(and they were ready to throw even more money at Delgado) and they still can't even make the damn playoffs.

Getting Manny, a 'real' closer (BJ Ryan?) and shoring up that bullpen is going to take money. Pretty soon you'll have a payroll equal to that of the Yankees. The only difference is the Yankees make the playoffs and win the division every year.

btw, I wouldn't count on too much more from DULL-TRAN next year. He was pretty much at his career batting average. He's simply a .260 hitter. No better. I'd be more worried about his power numbers, and the fact that he barely a 15-15 guy this year, nevermind 40-40.

It's funny I read something somewhere yesterday saying how the Mets had a better chance to go deep in the playoffs next year. He was saying 'what are the Yanks gonna do if Shawn Chacon wakes up and becomes Shawn Chacon again.'? To which I asked to myself: What the fuck are the Mets gonna do if Jae Seo wakes up and becomes Jae fucking Seo again? He went on to say the Yankees' bullpen is gonna be a year older next year...Interesting, I didn't realize the Mets' had some sort of anti-aging pill that reverses the aging process. How old is Roberto Hernandez again? I really have to find that article, it was fucking great.

You better hope BJ Ryan chooses the Mets over the Yankees (nobody usually does) and not come to the Bronx to be River's set-up man...

Let's face it the Mets have this inferiority complex when it comes to the Yanks. I mean how could they not? They play in FLUSHING. Which is usually what is happening to their season in September. Right down the toilet bowl.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Making a point to say that the Mets finished with a winning record would be OK if you were the fucking Detroit Tigers but the Mets had the second highest payroll in baseball. They should be making the playoffs, not having their balls tingle just 'cuz they finished over .500 Bottom line, they went out and bought Glavine, Matsui, Beltran, Pedro, Cameron, Floyd, etc.,(and they were ready to throw even more money at Delgado) and they still can't even make the damn playoffs.

Getting Manny, a 'real' closer (BJ Ryan?) and shoring up that bullpen is going to take money. Pretty soon you'll have a payroll equal to that of the Yankees. The only difference is the Yankees make the playoffs and win the division every year.

btw, I wouldn't count on too much more from DULL-TRAN next year. He was pretty much at his career batting average. He's simply a .260 hitter. No better. I'd be more worried about his power numbers, and the fact that he barely a 15-15 guy this year, nevermind 40-40.

It's funny I read something somewhere yesterday saying how the Mets had a better chance to go deep in the playoffs next year. He was saying 'what are the Yanks gonna do if Shawn Chacon wakes up and becomes Shawn Chacon again.'? To which I asked to myself: What the fuck are the Mets gonna do if Jae Seo wakes up and becomes Jae fucking Seo again? He went on to say the Yankees' bullpen is gonna be a year older next year...Interesting, I didn't realize the Mets' had some sort of anti-aging pill that reverses the aging process. How old is Roberto Hernandez again? I really have to find that article, it was fucking great.

You better hope BJ Ryan chooses the Mets over the Yankees (nobody usually does) and not come to the Bronx to be River's set-up man...

Let's face it the Mets have this inferiority complex when it comes to the Yanks. I mean how could they not? They play in FLUSHING. Which is usually what is happening to their season in September. Right down the toilet bowl.

I agree with alot of what you say but fact of the matter is we have not spent wisely the last few years and alot of players have been complete bust. We have new management now and hopefully they will be a little smarter. You're a baseball fan and I know you enjoy arguing but fact of the matter is we had to go out and get Beltran last year even though he didn't perform.

I am not usually one to throw money in the Yankees face just for the fact that we spend so much also and like you said don't even make the playoffs. But I honestly do feel that we have a good group of young guys to build around for the future.

And as for Mets fans being excited about finishing over .500 I think it's more about what i talked about above. The last few years have been miserable considering how much we have spent and where we have finished. I don't think you or anyone expected us to go from 20 games under to making the playoffs so it is a step in the right direction.

Feel free to tear this post apart and come at me but I'm sure somewhere inside that yankee head of yours you agree with alot of what i'm saying

I agree with alot of what you say but fact of the matter is we have not spent wisely the last few years and alot of players have been complete bust. We have new management now and hopefully they will be a little smarter. You're a baseball fan and I know you enjoy arguing but fact of the matter is we had to go out and get Beltran last year even though he didn't perform.

I am not usually one to throw money in the Yankees face just for the fact that we spend so much also and like you said don't even make the playoffs. But I honestly do feel that we have a good group of young guys to build around for the future.

And as for Mets fans being excited about finishing over .500 I think it's more about what i talked about above. The last few years have been miserable considering how much we have spent and where we have finished. I don't think you or anyone expected us to go from 20 games under to making the playoffs so it is a step in the right direction.

Feel free to tear this post apart and come at me but I'm sure somewhere inside that yankee head of yours you agree with alot of what i'm saying

nah i wouldnt tear the post apart because i agree. you see, this was sensical argument. and i agree about the mets having some young, exciting players. i even made a post about earlier this year before the season started about how much i liked guys like Wright and Milledge. even though i hated the bladergroen trade for mienkiwitcz. i even hear Milledge is tearing it up in winter ball. but where is he going to play. not CF, we know that.

sorry, but I just dont buy into this whole "new management" and "fresh new look" thing with the Mets

yes they have a few young players like wright and reyes (havnt really seen milledge) but they signed some detereorating veterens last year and overspent on other players. seems to me like the more things change, the more things stay the same.

we'll see what happens this winter.

ps. if they resign al leiter my point will be proven and the mets will finish in last again

sorry, but I just dont buy into this whole "new management" and "fresh new look" thing with the Mets

yes they have a few young players like wright and reyes (havnt really seen milledge) but they signed some detereorating veterens last year and overspent on other players. seems to me like the more things change, the more things stay the same.

ps. if they resign al leiter my point will be proven and the mets will finish in last again

I'll put a hit on Leiter if the Mets resign his ass!

who are these "detereorating veterans" you talk about besides maybe Pedro (and look at the year the guy had)?

ding ding ding

"fresh new look"

braden looper doesnt help the cause either

come on bro...

you're saying because the Mets held on to an old relief pitcher (who came up big for us) that they don't have a "new look"...most teams carry a couple of older veterans either just for there presence or their experience...

Roberto Hernandez...you're reaching now

reaching what? its true

Takatso, Heredia, Ishii, Trachsel......not to mention they picked up Jose Offerman and Gerald Williams. Without looking them up I guarantee not a single one of those guys isnt hanging his career by a thread and none are under 30

I'm not saying my team doesnt pull the same shit (ie. Mike Stanton, Graffanino, etc.) but I am saying that I do not buy into all that bullshit the Mets management is spitting about new look and fresh new style of play.

reaching what? its true

Takatso, Heredia, Ishii, Trachsel......not to mention they picked up Jose Offerman and Gerald Williams. Without looking them up I guarantee not a single one of those guys isnt hanging his career by a thread and none are under 30

I'm not saying my team doesnt pull the same shit (ie. Mike Stanton, Graffanino, etc.) but I am saying that I do not buy into all that bullshit the Mets management is spitting about new look and fresh new style of play.

Other than Trachsel - the rest are role players...unlike the majority of those fossils in the Bronx.

you're not making any sense here...

two of those guys barely played for us...Ishii was a huge bust, I'll give you that...Trachsel has been with the Mets for how long now and when has he had a bad season

so where has this new management been bringing in "deteriorating veterans" besides role players?

well, pedro, believe it or not is deteriorating. thats why nobody was willing to go 3 years with him(untill boston stepped up with a 3 year offer at the last minute) nevermind 4 years...benson is also on the decline...matter of fact, i dont remember him being on the incline. the reason mets management overpaid for him was so that they would at least have something to show for that wiggington trade. glavine, trachsel, seriously, wheres the youthful pitching? even heilman is getting up there and he's the youngest 'starter'. there really is absolutely nothing fresh or new with regards to pitching. and thats exactly what you need

the entire bullpen is on the decline too...heredia, koo, looper, graves, ishii....maybe padilla is one guy that can bring youth but who knows what will happen once he plays a full season?

the hitting is whats exciting about this team. reyes, wright, floyd, beltran(not this season though), jacobs(great swing), and maybe even diaz. its too bad you couldnt sign delgado though. and once they bring up the kid milledge, things get get really going offensively...