Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Home Gyms

djaparz

ok i used to have a gym membership, but since have gotten married have a 1 year old and another baby on the way in January.. I work almost 7 days and/or nights a week.. So going back to the gym is out. Is there any good home gyms that anyone could recommend.

I am not into getting big and cut up. I would like to just be toned and stay in shape.

Any help would be appreciated.

ok i used to have a gym membership, but since have gotten married have a 1 year old and another baby on the way in January.. I work almost 7 days and/or nights a week.. So going back to the gym is out. Is there any good home gyms that anyone could recommend.

I am not into getting big and cut up. I would like to just be toned and stay in shape.

Any help would be appreciated.

....dude, save your cash, home gyms are a fucking joke..... everyone i know has a home gym that is collecting dust and taking up space in the garage.... people get suckered in by the fitness gurus in the informercials and waste their hard earned cash to look like them...... i can bet a months salary that those same paid advertisers dont own those contraptions......for one, having a gym at home makes you complacent.....go back to the gym....find the time...make the time.....its the only place that can remind you that you need to work harder....home gyms give you the reverse in my opinion......

• 3 weeks later...

We have a home gym that's used daily if not twice a day.

If you're motivated to stay fit then you don't need a gym membership.

If you're a lazyass who cant self-motivate and will allow your homegym to rot in the corner then I don't think a gym membership will do you any good either.

I'd say get ur home gym but research it first. At minimum i'd say get a mat, an adjustable bench, and maybe a bar w/ some heavy plates and dumbells or the adjustable dumbells suggested above. Don't be suckered by namebrands, look for quality.

As for your time constraints, pick a workout that you can easily fit in your day 20-30 minutes, lift heavy and you'll reap the rewards.

Congrats on #2 on the way.

• 3 weeks later...
We have a home gym that's used daily if not twice a day.

If you're motivated to stay fit then you don't need a gym membership.

If you're a lazyass who cant self-motivate and will allow your homegym to rot in the corner then I don't think a gym membership will do you any good either.

I'd say get ur home gym but research it first. At minimum i'd say get a mat, an adjustable bench, and maybe a bar w/ some heavy plates and dumbells or the adjustable dumbells suggested above. Don't be suckered by namebrands, look for quality.

As for your time constraints, pick a workout that you can easily fit in your day 20-30 minutes, lift heavy and you'll reap the rewards.

Congrats on #2 on the way.

...thats just greeeeeeaaat !!..... now all he has to do is decide between his pregnant girl or his dog as to who will spot him on the bench.....

thank you - I was thinking of getting the bowflex dumbbells...

and thank you for the congrats

I never used a bowflex so I am unsure of how well it works. I have heard that things that use a pully system are not there true weight. IE you think you benched 100 but in reality it is less how much I dont know. From what i have seen on tv it seems like a nice little workout since you can do every part of your body.

IMO I suggest a bench and a bar with some weights and of course a few dumbells. That will probably cost you around $500 depending on how many weights you get. I have seen benches at garage sales btw.

All in all good luck...2 kids are not easy

I actually have a Bowflex. I'd say it's a great machine, but it has one fatal flaw: in order for it to work, you need to use it! :)

I also wasn't into getting big muscles, I actually wanted to lose a few inches around my waist and tone up. It definitely worked: 3 months on an Atkins diet in combination with workouts 3 times a week got me from waist 34 to waist 31.

Some exercises are very hard to do and others I found completely useless. For example, they recommend a bend for low abs and a lying pull for your back - those are very uncomfortable to do. Other exercises that they don't recommend but have in the book worked better for me.

After 3 years, though, it seriously starts to fall apart - screws are coming out, the bench is worn and the foam pads for leg exercises are also worn pretty bad. The rods are in good shape, though.

When it comes to exercise, note that you're working against resistance which is variable and not against the force of gravity that is constant. Therefore lifting the weight of the same strength is more difficult that bending a rod with the same resistance.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend the Weider Platinum Plus Crossbar over the Bowflex.

I has digital control resistance as opposed to Bowflex's Power rods.

It is also cheaper than the Bowflex and unless you get the top of the line Bowflex, you have to purchase leg attachments and preacher curl as separate attachments. The Crossbar also has a greater range of motion allowing for full extension.

The only downside to the Crossbar is that it is difficult to build. It took me two days. Take your time and build it right and you won't be disappointed.

Here is the website, but you can get it from Sears for $899, and is on sale there this week for $799: link

Here is a good review of The Weider Platinum Crossbar, the newer model is called the Platinum Plus, which I have and love!