Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tenaglia review..

here is my review of last night/this morning. keep in mind it's 11 a.m. and i jus got in after 6 bombs.

after waiting on line for over an hour and waiting on coat check for half hour finally got in to hear Danny. he was rippin it up as usual.

i liked the new set-up for spirit with the new dancefloors upstairs. created more room so it wasn't as packed as it usually is.

danny's hot beats for the night was the 'american beauty remix' and the rest to tell you the truth, i cant really remember because i happened to be completely out of my mind but he did get kinda dark around 9 in the morning.

Also got to meet the man once again...

Basically a pretty sick nite, good costumes (shout out to the ipod kid), chill crowd...if you didnt go you missed a damn good nite!!!

ehhh i walked in around 12:30 the line was starting to get a lil long but went in there was a couple people when i walked in i was dressed with my girl as a doctor and she was a Hot ass Nurse..! lol *shout out to Mario and luiggi haha* i liked some of the costumes i saw people got very creative i saw a lot of played out stuff also but whateva.. the music was kindda hard i dont know i wasnt feeling it much llike after 4:00 the only song that stuck out was dbiza wich dt has changed in a number of times lol this mix from last night was pretty good but not better than the one he dropped last time at spirit.all in all it was aight one thing tho there werent that many people dressed up for some reason lol like last year at exit but whateva. pretty good night i guess. till the next one...

anyone who was there friday night must still be in pieces as I am right now at 7 pm saturday.

i made it til 8:45 and i can only imagine how fatigued those who stayed til 12 or 2 whatev must be. how late did it go? 12? 1? 2?

ok im going to give my subjective notes on last night, this will not be cogent like most of my reviews, it will be stream of consciousness, i am a mess. youre going to read a lot of 100% positive reviews so Im going to try to give the 60% positive, 40% less positive review.

first some background. ive loved dt since twilo & the tunnel. his sets at vinyl circa 99-2001 are among the best ive ever heard in 30 years of going out in nyc.

dt's miami sets in jan & march 2001 are as great as any sets i have ever heard in hearing every famous dj you can name.

last night was a very good to excellent party. there were lots of cool people, many good costumes, [and the dancing was going on in the new mezzanine area & the upstairs too, both cool refuges from main floor] and as DT said "halloween adds an extra festive vibe" - and as we know dt's parties are already among the best youll experience in nyc in 2005 so i go almost every time he plays.

this set, while hard, was better than his previous spirit set, which had been too much of a techy beatdown; {imo the arc reunion party remains dt's best spirit set of 2005, MUSICALLY, altho last night had a vibe almost as great as the arc reunuion. IMO]

the problem imo with dt's music in 2005 is that he seems to have abandoned many of the soulful, melodic, strict housey elements in his sound.

last nights set from 2:30 til 8:45 featured very few famous dt songs, except for be yourself, dibiza and a tease of finally. and that 'one time for the underground' song is great too. and armand's "witchdoktor" was great pick, brings back tunnel 96-96 memories...there were some intense hard house and tech-house tunes, the kind he's been dropping at crobar in 2005, but the kind of melodic soulful dt bomb that we loved at vinyl & through say 2002-03 is absent from his sets based on what hes playing in 2005 in nyc.

now i want to say that the first 2 crobar sets were amazing.

his birthday set at crobar in march, while in a tech-house and progg house sound, was just out of this world, experimental, just total mastery of technique and programming and musical pallette.

the 2nd crobar set was awesome too, but more percussive, and a little colder.

dt came on about 2:30 last night. manny did a good job opening playing some dt classics like dm i feel loved, music is the answer. it was a little disappointing that dt came on at 2:30 without telling us on the msg board that he wasnt going to play all night. {maybe something came up unexpedtedly? the staff seemed a little uncertain of what was happening too. }

also the door didnt seem to get moving til almost 12:? {it was slow & also cold out ide but im not going to complain about that too much cos halloween means crowds in nyc} I find that spirit is simply less organized than crobar and the regular spirit bouncers are sometimes rude or cold. the crobar staff is always polite to me and i feel runs more smoothly. [and crobar 's dt sets drew way more people than spirit has, although the arc reunion night was pretty rammed}

the made/arc staff however, which is present at every made spirit event, is superb- they are family & they are wonderful & more.

once dt came on at 2:30 he started playing great tunes almost immediately. from 2:30 to about 5:30 i thought he was just great. some tribal, the type of percussive tech-house we heard at crobar, and some new tracks that i would just call hard house.

now crobar was too crowded when dt is there, but the energy is huge, dt & morillo create the most energy ive seen at crobar & ive seen every big dj that plays there.

by about 6 last night, the energy started to slack on the main floor. [dt at crobar was kicking at least til 8 am and actually even later}

and dts tunes got more hard edged, less interesting, almost progressive hard house. But there was that cool synth track at about 7 am that was huge, its like an experimetal electronic house track? howells played it too, in april, for about 25 mins!! oh its called TIME STOPPAGE & DT mashed it with 'dont make me wait' peech boys sample.

so, i heard dt for 6+ hours last night. [at 8:45 the music wasnt great enough to keep me around? did you have to wait til 10 or 11 for more funky, melodic bombs?]

i thought the first 3 hours were superb, very future tribal and percussive tech house

i thought he lost the plot despite a couple great tracks from about 6 am to 8:45.

dt used to play more melodic & had much bigger bombs that made people happy at arc/vinyl & esopecially circa 1999-2002.

last night was a great halloween party but dts set left me SLIGHTLY disappointed. hes definitely playing colder & more tech-house/tech-tribal in 2005....

he wasnt on a magic cloud like he was at crobar the first 2 times, but still it was a very hard & often interesting tech house/hard house set.

i thought the energy in the room flagged by 6-7 am and [altho there were still 75-100 people into it on the floor] and what was the deal with that costume contest? made no sense

great halloween event but dts set was not as masterful or as uplifting or melodic housey bombs as I might wish IMO. its just my opinion/preference dt has changed his sound in 04-05.

most other djs pala more satisfying tracks in the first 6 hours of a set. dt is such a marathon man I think hes keeping us hanging on for the sweet melodic house bombs he used to drop & hopefully will return to his sets. his dj skills & technique are still the top of any class.

party overall: **** halloween party of 5 possible stars.

dts set: ***3/4 of 5 stars

[just for comparison: how i rated a few other 2005 events:

junior bedtime story at roxy sept ****1/2

derrick carter sept at spirit ****1/2

dt crobar august ***3/4

dt spirit july ***1/2

steve lawler june spirit ****3/4

dt spirit april arc reunion ****

dt crobar march birthday ****1/2

I'm a mess my self i got there 11pm and left around 7am, and went to work till 4pm and i wokred even before i got to spirit till 5 with no sleep. and still no sleep till now my eyes are finally closing..(you do the math). The atmoshpere was great everyone was up and dancing no fights (at least i didnt see 1) and a variation of people .. Old/young/asian/black/hispanic which was interesting and i got to meet a few people which is that i like bout DTs parties.... The music was just great, it got better for me after 5am. Can't wait to see him again on December 23rd at spirit. Definatly worth the $$!!!

P.S. Pics/Videos/Tracklist any1?? :-]

anyone who was there friday night must still be in pieces as I am right now at 7 pm saturday.

i made it til 8:45 and i can only imagine how fatigued those who stayed til 12 or 2 whatev must be. how late did it go? 12? 1? 2?

Clinton, I'm sure you are as excited as I am that Behrouz and Danny will be playing at Crobar together on Nov. 25... I actually wanted an opinion as to whether it's better to hear Danny at Crobar or Spirit and your post sounds like his Crobar sets tend to be better...

I think this is going to be one of those magical nights because when these two djs play together, it's pure bliss :)

all the way, Dt at crobar is his showcase venue for his best nyc 2005 sets IMO.

behrouz is a strong opener, thanksgiving weekend- it will be HOT!!

other ideas would be DT facing off against some of his best friends from past magic nights: dt vs coxy, dt vs diggers, dt vs vibe;

and even dt vs lawler & dt vs howells deserve another shot.

crobar can afford all this $$$ talent; and /or Made can book these with their connex- they have in the past!!

DT was amazing on Friday and the vibe was fun. I especially liked the fact that he did not play the trancey wind down music from 10 to closing. Instead the beats got harder and more energetic as the night turned to day...I really think that Spirit is the best venue for him because it is more intimate but I can't wait to see him at Crobar on the 25th.

danny = :bowdown:

Just an amazing night of music and props to Manny for opening it up nicely .. Manny i want you to know thaty our were on point and had me moving from the moment i walked in ...

Danny of course was just majestic and broke down a set that i hacent been bale to stop talking about ... and would pay sick money to have on CD .. if anyone has that set available for sale, PM me i got money for you cause i need to hear that hard, tech, bass, house set one more time!

danny = :bowdown:

Just an amazing night of music and props to Manny for opening it up nicely .. Manny i want you to know thaty our were on point and had me moving from the moment i walked in ...

Danny of course was just majestic and broke down a set that i hacent been bale to stop talking about ... and would pay sick money to have on CD .. if anyone has that set available for sale, PM me i got money for you cause i need to hear that hard, tech, bass, house set one more time!

Not going to happen...

Danny never allows his sets to be recorded...

ok im going to give my subjective notes on last night, this will not be cogent like most of my reviews, it will be stream of consciousness, i am a mess. youre going to read a lot of 100% positive reviews so Im going to try to give the 60% positive, 40% less positive review.

first some background. ive loved dt since twilo & the tunnel. his sets at vinyl circa 99-2001 are among the best ive ever heard in 30 years of going out in nyc.

dt's miami sets in jan & march 2001 are as great as any sets i have ever heard in hearing every famous dj you can name.

last night was a very good to excellent party. there were lots of cool people, many good costumes, [and the dancing was going on in the new mezzanine area & the upstairs too, both cool refuges from main floor] and as DT said "halloween adds an extra festive vibe" - and as we know dt's parties are already among the best youll experience in nyc in 2005 so i go almost every time he plays.

this set, while hard, was better than his previous spirit set, which had been too much of a techy beatdown; {imo the arc reunion party remains dt's best spirit set of 2005, MUSICALLY, altho last night had a vibe almost as great as the arc reunuion. IMO]

the problem imo with dt's music in 2005 is that he seems to have abandoned many of the soulful, melodic, strict housey elements in his sound.

last nights set from 2:30 til 8:45 featured very few famous dt songs, except for be yourself, dibiza and a tease of finally. and that 'one time for the underground' song is great too. and armand's "witchdoktor" was great pick, brings back tunnel 96-96 memories...there were some intense hard house and tech-house tunes, the kind he's been dropping at crobar in 2005, but the kind of melodic soulful dt bomb that we loved at vinyl & through say 2002-03 is absent from his sets based on what hes playing in 2005 in nyc.

now i want to say that the first 2 crobar sets were amazing.

his birthday set at crobar in march, while in a tech-house and progg house sound, was just out of this world, experimental, just total mastery of technique and programming and musical pallette.

the 2nd crobar set was awesome too, but more percussive, and a little colder.

dt came on about 2:30 last night. manny did a good job opening playing some dt classics like dm i feel loved, music is the answer. it was a little disappointing that dt came on at 2:30 without telling us on the msg board that he wasnt going to play all night. {maybe something came up unexpedtedly? the staff seemed a little uncertain of what was happening too. }

also the door didnt seem to get moving til almost 12:? {it was slow & also cold out ide but im not going to complain about that too much cos halloween means crowds in nyc} I find that spirit is simply less organized than crobar and the regular spirit bouncers are sometimes rude or cold. the crobar staff is always polite to me and i feel runs more smoothly. [and crobar 's dt sets drew way more people than spirit has, although the arc reunion night was pretty rammed}

the made/arc staff however, which is present at every made spirit event, is superb- they are family & they are wonderful & more.

once dt came on at 2:30 he started playing great tunes almost immediately. from 2:30 to about 5:30 i thought he was just great. some tribal, the type of percussive tech-house we heard at crobar, and some new tracks that i would just call hard house.

now crobar was too crowded when dt is there, but the energy is huge, dt & morillo create the most energy ive seen at crobar & ive seen every big dj that plays there.

by about 6 last night, the energy started to slack on the main floor. [dt at crobar was kicking at least til 8 am and actually even later}

and dts tunes got more hard edged, less interesting, almost progressive hard house. But there was that cool synth track at about 7 am that was huge, its like an experimetal electronic house track? howells played it too, in april, for about 25 mins!! oh its called TIME STOPPAGE & DT mashed it with 'dont make me wait' peech boys sample.

so, i heard dt for 6+ hours last night. [at 8:45 the music wasnt great enough to keep me around? did you have to wait til 10 or 11 for more funky, melodic bombs?]

i thought the first 3 hours were superb, very future tribal and percussive tech house

i thought he lost the plot despite a couple great tracks from about 6 am to 8:45.

dt used to play more melodic & had much bigger bombs that made people happy at arc/vinyl & esopecially circa 1999-2002.

last night was a great halloween party but dts set left me SLIGHTLY disappointed. hes definitely playing colder & more tech-house/tech-tribal in 2005....

he wasnt on a magic cloud like he was at crobar the first 2 times, but still it was a very hard & often interesting tech house/hard house set.

i thought the energy in the room flagged by 6-7 am and [altho there were still 75-100 people into it on the floor] and what was the deal with that costume contest? made no sense

great halloween event but dts set was not as masterful or as uplifting or melodic housey bombs as I might wish IMO. its just my opinion/preference dt has changed his sound in 04-05.

most other djs pala more satisfying tracks in the first 6 hours of a set. dt is such a marathon man I think hes keeping us hanging on for the sweet melodic house bombs he used to drop & hopefully will return to his sets. his dj skills & technique are still the top of any class.

party overall: **** halloween party of 5 possible stars.

dts set: ***3/4 of 5 stars

[just for comparison: how i rated a few other 2005 events:

junior bedtime story at roxy sept ****1/2

derrick carter sept at spirit ****1/2

dt crobar august ***3/4

dt spirit july ***1/2

steve lawler june spirit ****3/4

dt spirit april arc reunion ****

dt crobar march birthday ****1/2

bro seriously lay off the drugs :blown:

ehhh i walked in around 12:30 the line was starting to get a lil long but went in there was a couple people when i walked in i was dressed with my girl as a doctor and she was a Hot ass Nurse..! lol *shout out to Mario and luiggi haha* i liked some of the costumes i saw people got very creative i saw a lot of played out stuff also but whateva.. the music was kindda hard i dont know i wasnt feeling it much llike after 4:00 the only song that stuck out was dbiza wich dt has changed in a number of times lol this mix from last night was pretty good but not better than the one he dropped last time at spirit.all in all it was aight one thing tho there werent that many people dressed up for some reason lol like last year at exit but whateva. pretty good night i guess. till the next one...

Hey i saw mario and Luiggi earlyer in the evening @ 6's& 8's...great costumes.Happy that atleast one Halloween party turned out to be good.DT always knows how to give good party!!

I had one of the best times I had probably since Vinyl closed, simply because I saw people there that I hadn't seen since the closing party! That made the night for me alone, I was screaming all night. I loved the costumes, funny I saw Mario, Luigi and the Princess, talked to them for a WHILE, and when I saw her especially, I kept picturing a video game but didn't make the connection! :laugh:

Shouts to Ali G as well! Took a few pics, danced and laughed my ass off all night and morning long - got there around 4, left around 11.

I love Danny and I love y'all cause we really made it an incredible place to be! That is all. :)

PS Great review Clinton! Your passion for the music and the scene really shows, can't have anything but mad respect for that.

1st I would like to thank DT for asking me to open for him at this years Boo Yourself.:bowdown: Some of you may remember I had the honor of doing the same thing last year @ Ikon/Exit

I had a great time playing that room.

Thanks again to all of you that came out to here my set. Thanks for the hand shakes, the high fives, the hugs and the love. :spin2:

Peace

Manny Freytes

:biggrin:

PS Great review Clinton! Your passion for the music and the scene really shows, can't have anything but mad respect for that.

thanks, Im a giant fan of DT & some of his sets in miami & at vinyl are poss the greatest Ive ever heard in several decades of clubbing.

it was a **** halloween party, and now hearing that dt played until 2: pm and that many of his best tracks were betw 9 am - 2:pm, I totally believe his set was **** or better. I LOVED what he did betw about 2:30 am and approx 7 am, the joint was jumping on the floor, the mezzanine & the upstairs too! great crowd!!

thanks to all the great halloween revellers & Thanks To DT!!!!!!!!

ps manny good opening set as i said in my review....