Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dj For Hire, Another One

hey have you noticed that in todays society everyone is a dj, your mother, my grandfather, his sister and hers great great grandmother.

i believe the quality of dj's that play in todays clubs is quickly falling, dont get me wrong their is great local talents out there playing in thier small places and not getting noticed and THEN

there are those that have shit load of friends and can beat match for shit, just for the basics, their style mimics last night KTU play list, BUT yet they are number ONE in vanue that serves more than 800 ppl...

is bringing ppl now more important than having good djs?

is true talent and pation doesnt mean )(&(*?

YOUR THOUGHTS wise men and WOMEN

hey have you noticed that in todays society everyone is a dj, your mother, my grandfather, his sister and hers great great grandmother.

i believe the quality of dj's that play in todays clubs is quickly falling, dont get me wrong their is great local talents out there playing in thier small places and not getting noticed and THEN

there are those that have shit load of friends and can beat match for shit, just for the basics, their style mimics last night KTU play list, BUT yet they are number ONE in vanue that serves more than 800 ppl...

is bringing ppl now more important than having good djs?

is true talent and pation doesnt mean )(&(*?

YOUR THOUGHTS wise men and WOMEN

yeah, thats pretty much why dance music scene is dead now. So many articles on this on the internet. Comparing it to the disco crash of the 1970's... promoters only care about head counts and stuff..... its not like this now, always has been...after a couple of years of shit DJ's playing shit dance music in packed venues, it killed the genre.

thats why I never liked DJing for promoters, and like DJing for people who I was friends with or knew who owned clubs and bars and lounges......

I produce now...producing is better for me , you get much more respect for what you do. I do miss Djing though, its alot of fun, sadly the bullshit that goes along with it is not. Thats why dance has declined to the point where people all over say its dead.... sad

it hasn't been soley about the quality of the music for quite some time now...

promoters and djs are one in the same nowadays...sad, but true.

there was a time when some clubs would have auditions for the djs....promoting those djs was an entirely different issue and left up to the promoters of the club and such.

the producer/dj combination hasn't been all positve either...

why pay dj __________ $500 for a night at the tables when you could bring a world reknowned dj and pay alot more money for them to play but you'll make alot more money because evryone knows their name, knows their records and everyone is curious to hear how they sound like.

think about it there is no middle ground anymore... you won't find a dj making $500-$1000 for a night of djing....

they are either playing for drinks, playing for $100-$200 cash or it's their own party and they get the door proceeds.

or.... you have people making hit records and charging $1000- $10,000 to play a club

i think the days of dj's getting big money will end with the current big guys...jp, dt, boris, vc etc etc...

there are so many dj's out there, cause every tom dick and harry with a computer and cdj is a dj.....so no need to be paying big money

back in the day it was different cause vinyl cost money and was much more of a commitment to the profession then it is today where people pick it up as a hobby.

as far as the promoter issue, I mean there are so many venues now and so many dj's that the competition is so fierce, that promoters have no choice but to book people who they know can bring them people, it is a sad reality of the business.

i stick with my dj's mostly at my parties cause it is my responsibility to bring the people thru the door, thus not having them bear that burden, but I also have a great team that are so into their music they work hard to make each and every party a sucess....but I would never sacrifice the integrity of one of my parties cause some random promised me 50 people thru the door, Skills have to come first......

things change, with technology times and everything else, I think you just have to make the best of the situation we are left with ...

the past is the past but it does not mean the future is dead .

Ill be honest im personally SICK of listening to whiney bitchey DJs.

Here is the thing if you wanna get booked you have to hustle.

You need to go out every night of the week. Shake hands, exchange CD's & cards, kiss babies, whatever it takes.

Yes there are alot of shit DJs with gigs they don't deserve, but they were the ones out hustling while you were home watching re-runs of full house.

I know a 1000 Djs some internationally known, some just spin in their bedrooms, but if your gonna sit and wait for a handout keep waiting all you want the phone isn't going to ring.

You need to go out every night of the week. Shake hands, exchange CD's & cards, kiss babies, whatever it takes.

Yes there are alot of shit DJs with gigs they don't deserver but they were the ones out hustling while you were home watching re-runs of full house.

I know 1000 Djs some internationally known, some just spin in their bedrooms, but if your gonna sit and wait for a handout keep waiting all you want the phone isn't going to ring.

that's bs, and i don't even dj! the right attitude is KEY but it doesn't promise you a thing!

that's bs, and i don't even dj! the right attitude is KEY but it doesn't promise you a thing!

How is what he said bs? Who said it promises you anything? Either you hustle and have a chance. Or you stay home waiting on that phone call that'll never come. I thought he was spot on.

How is what he said bs? Who said it promises you anything? Either you hustle and have a chance. Or you stay home waiting on that phone call that'll never come. I thought he was spot on.

I thought he was spot on as well, you definately have to hustle/bust your ass promoting yourself to get out there. The industry is saturated w/wannabe dj's. I still love to spin when I get a chance but me not putting the effort out there has certainly put a halt on me getting gigs. Networking is the way to do it.

Yes there are alot of shit DJs with gigs they don't deserve, but they were the ones out hustling while you were home watching re-runs of full house.

I know a 1000 Djs some internationally known, some just spin in their bedrooms, but if your gonna sit and wait for a handout keep waiting all you want the phone isn't going to ring.

first off your statement is flawed. you can go out, hustle, and do all that, at the end of the day, they are going to get the DJ who can bring more people in. You can give out all the Cd's, kiss all the babies you want, in the end, head counts are what promoters care about, not the music, not the Dj. For all they care, you could play polka as long as they get paid, they dont give a shit. Plus. some people work day jobs and cant go out every single night to waste there time talking to promoters. They have bills to pay.

like I said, why do you think so many people say dance music is dead? bad promoters + shit DJ's + shit music = bad marketing which means bad publicity for the genre....

The most famous example of how promoters managed to kill off a genre of music happened in london. London's superclub The Ministry Of Sound marketed a range of clothing while admitting that anyone who wore those clothes was unlikely to pass the dress code in the club itself.

Thats not about the music, its about making a quick buck. the dance scene is a culture, and doing that turned alot of people off. regular people who in the late 1990's where feeling dance music, now are turned off by it, and listen to hip hop or rock instead. While people in dance say, tribal is cool, trance sucks, and fight over the sub genre's, everyone else is listening to hip hop,and when the Dj place dance music, all the girls come up and say "do you have anything besides techno?"

hey, maybe in the future it will turn around, but its got to get back to being about the party, and not about head counts, clothing lines, and just making money...

I thought he was spot on as well, you definately have to hustle/bust your ass promoting yourself to get out there. The industry is saturated w/wannabe dj's. I still love to spin when I get a chance but me not putting the effort out there has certainly put a halt on me getting gigs. Networking is the way to do it.

Take those stupid contacts out of your eyes!

Thats not about the music, its about making a quick buck. the dance scene is a culture, and doing that turned alot of people off. regular people who in the late 1990's where feeling dance music, now are turned off by it, and listen to hip hop or rock instead. While people in dance say, tribal is cool, trance sucks, and fight over the sub genre's, everyone else is listening to hip hop,and when the Dj place dance music, all the girls come up and say "do you have anything besides techno?"

So true.

yes Hustling is true and need and i agreee... but what happens when you bust your ass, pull 50 ppl and in the end of it all the promoter tells you sorry a big mess with djs tonight ... you not playing but next week def -

Next week you pull 25 ppl, and he tells you its not enough to play...

hustled or not u got Fu87987 either way!

you seriously have to be kidding me here

why the hell do you let yourself go in that dam vicious circle over and over again

you keep complaining that you have what it takes but the big roadblock for the night and making the dj feel as if his reward is granted

is the promoter and how he comes up with excuses to NOT pay.

well fuck that if thats how your going to think you need to get things done seriously.

You want to know what works?

the basics... they never fail

how did the OLD parties get going in the original day?

think about it.....were there promoters there or was it all started witj DJS??!!

you want to put a scare into some people, namely the promoters, fine,then show them you dont need them by

getting as many djs close to you who u know are QUALITY djs as well as quality people

who will put in the effort even if they know they wont spinn that particular night

do it all with the djs

Why do you keep thinking you need a middle man?

whats the promoter really doing?

Promoter:

Hey you want to spin? cause i got a club that needs a dj.

Yes?..cool..now you know you need to pull people in if you want to stay a dj at this place... so you gotta do your part.

What is really being said:

Promoter:

Hey this failing club allowed me to do promotions for them cuase they dont have what it takes in marketing and i need you cause i wont make MY people pay to get in.

I need to place a dj in there with alot of time on his hands, do you want to play?

Yes? cool..now heres the deal

im going to loose alot of money if you dont bring in ppl that will buy alot of drinks cause since i didnt get ppl before

they now make me pay a bar fee ahead of the night

Boys and girls

youre only thinking this half way through

seriously -- get ride of the dam promoter

go into a place, meet the staff , hell even do it when youre done with your set

talk to them

and end up going OVER the promoters head

whats he really going to do? tell you hes not going to work with you in this city any more?

tell you hes going to stop ppl from coming to your party?

how

he obviously doesnt know anyone

and obviously

NO ONE KNOWS HIM

Take those stupid contacts out of your eyes!

So true.

hey MoE, fuck you, the contacts stay!lol

i agree. if u really wanan dj then u gotta hustle it has to be done. So dont whine about it just do what has to be done.

no, there are no promises in most things we do in life...

but it's about bringing in a quick buck and when money is involved things always change quickly and drastically...

so if you're out there promoting your sweet lil' heart out as a dj, you are gonna have to wear a few different hats if you want to be successful.

sure you can mix your ass off, everyone knows you, your music selection is awesome, you work ass off night & day...but how many people came to the party tonight? ...not enough, you're fired.

no, there are no promises in most things we do in life...

but it's about bringing in a quick buck and when money is involved things always change quickly and drastically...

so if you're out there promoting your sweet lil' heart out as a dj, you are gonna have to wear a few different hats if you want to be successful.

sure you can mix your ass off, everyone knows you, your music selection is awesome, you work ass off night & day...but how many people came to the party tonight? ...not enough, you're fired.

the promoters job is to bring people into the club not the DJ's.

The Dj's job is the provide music and entertainment for the night. Why the hell should the Dj have to do the promoters job? yeah the Dj should help promote for the nights, in only makes sense, but it should not depend on wether or not the keep their spot.

if not enough people came there for the night, thats the prmoters fault, not the Dj's. If 1000 people came to the club, and then left because they DJ starting playing heavy metal or Polka, then yeah, thats the Dj's fault..

why do you think hip hop and reaggaton parties are killing dance music parties? Because promoters who promote on the dance music level have no clue what they are doing. sure you make your quick buck, but in the long run, your killing the genre and scene by having these shit Dj's who bring in all the people, yet play shit music and have no skills.

the promoters job is to bring people into the club not the DJ's.

The Dj's job is the provide music and entertainment for the night. Why the hell should the Dj have to do the promoters job? yeah the Dj should help promote for the nights, in only makes sense, but it should not depend on wether or not the keep their spot.

if not enough people came there for the night, thats the prmoters fault, not the Dj's. If 1000 people came to the club, and then left because they DJ starting playing heavy metal or Polka, then yeah, thats the Dj's fault..

why do you think hip hop and reaggaton parties are killing dance music parties? Because promoters who promote on the dance music level have no clue what they are doing. sure you make your quick buck, but in the long run, your killing the genre and scene by having these shit Dj's who bring in all the people, yet play shit music and have no skills.

Again why should there be a promoter at all?

also

Lest say you do have a promoter and you both are doing terrible

how do you differentiate who’s fault that is?

wouldn’t it be best to do promotions collaboratively with your promoter?

Right now it seems that in the hierarchy of setting up a night

its seems that the dj is always below the promoter.. what is this?

Sorry Edubz but this isn’t directed at you, i was just quoting you to make point of something you said.

Why should the dj feel as if he needs to report to the promoter when you both should be doing equal work?

This is a very very good topic. A topic that is actually using our heads for once. I dont have much to say because basically everything is said on my thoughts.

One last thing though.. It's like owning a company(you being the dj). If your planning on owning it yourself, you better have the money to advertise it and have lots of time on your hands to promote the company(yourself being the dj). Of course if you dont have money and not a lot of time, having a partner to split the job with is a easy way to get big fast(promotor). If you have a shit partner(promotor) than they'll do you no good. Trust is a big thing and would also help if your actual real friends with the promotor.

It's always a lot easier if your working with more people.