Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DEATH of VINYL, Record SHopS, Real Djing

I liked the days when a dj would play a track for a good 6 months to a yr b4 it was finally release to the public. I dont see why an average person should have all the new music a SUPERSTAR DJ has right away. It makes that particular dj that more special to go and hear cause you know only he/she will play that song. And ya know when its release you will go get it eventually. I remember when david morales would make tracks in the mid 90s and no one could get their hands on them until a yr later when he finally released it. Thats why i like what danny tenaglia is doin with DIBIZA.

those days still exist... im pretty sure roger sanchez ft. lisa pure "lost" has just been pressed recently even though it was being rocked back in april (maybe earlier) by sanchez...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the days when a dj would play a track for a good 6 months to a yr b4 it was finally release to the public. I dont see why an average person should have all the new music a SUPERSTAR DJ has right away. It makes that particular dj that more special to go and hear cause you know only he/she will play that song. And ya know when its release you will go get it eventually. I remember when david morales would make tracks in the mid 90s and no one could get their hands on them until a yr later when he finally released it. Thats why i like what danny tenaglia is doin with DIBIZA.

your %100 on point.

hell yeah! I miss that too.... this is what they say when "digital killed the vinyl star" meaning, a great song nowadays, is killed quick, or rather it has a shorter "lifespan" which sucks.

IT'S A MORE LEVEL PLAYING FIELD......... JUST IMAGINE A DJ PLAYING OLDER MUSIC YET MIXS WELL, COMPARED TO A DJ THAT PLAYS NEW HOT MUSIC THAT MIXING SUCKS, MOST LIKELY THE GUY WITH NEW MUSIC WILL GET THE MOST PROPS..... I COULD BE WRONG?

Not so much the death of vinyl, but file sharing hurts the dance industry the most. For a tiny dance label is gonna cost them alot to press vinyl... if DJ's and music lovers support the industry then its a good thing. There is a good read on how digital has changed the game...

Record stores cannot afford to stay open. Electronic Dance Music events attract a frighteningly severe level of attention from authorities yet, more often than not, fail to be financially solvent, eventually being forced to give way to the Hip-Hop and Reggaeton behemoths. And finally, that age-old question: Do people really think that music should be free, or worse yet, a commodity?

this is what they say when "digital killed the vinyl star" meaning, a great song nowadays, is killed quick, or rather it has a shorter "lifespan" which sucks.

wow, how very cool to see my article being discussed. Check out the website it was published on for over 30 feature articles and interviews plus track reviews and audio mixes:

http://www.jjazproject.com

cheers!

Alex

Features Editor, JJazproJect.com

wow, how very cool to see my article being discussed. Check out the website it was published on for over 30 feature articles and interviews plus track reviews and audio mixes:

http://www.jjazproject.com

cheers!

Alex

Features Editor, JJazproJect.com

yeah, its a great article. Probably the best one out explaining the state of dance music today.its a great read.

I started another disgussion on pro world famous DJ's who are using software that automatically mixes there CD compllations, leaves even a more sour taste in your mouth these days. Maybe you should do an article on that laptop dj vs.

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?t=290553

people say thats kill dance music too

on the contrary, this is happening more than ever because everyone is making music at home and sharing trakcs their friends made.

Hello everyone........

I have to say this is one of the better more interesting threads here that I have seen in awhile - after all, isn't this is what a forum/board should be about? :-))

Alot of good points but there is not point to be looking for here, just info & thoughts on the subject......Let's not get confused there are 2 topics going on here: Sound quality CD & Vinyl and what DJ's prefer to use, CD or Vinyl.

Yes, I am off on a few examples & 70% of my collection is now CD's due to ease of transport & ease to do gigs meaning to find steady work, not all places have 2 tables anymore so you adapt.......

Silverbull: Good way to look at things, remembering when a top DJ would play atrack for a few months before anyone would have it....

As far as listening beyond or within the "Human" hearing range, the original Ultra Nate "Free" on Vinyl has sooo much more pronounced punch & vocalization to it than my store bought cd it so noticeable.....and yes it is hard to tell on the dancefloor sometimes........

Lastly, I agree you have to stay with the times, I use effectors/filters to change things up (especially for classic stuff it's nice), the CD's are great for looping & I like to listen to some stuff in the car before a gig to check stuff out and so on..........:-))

One producer once said ...Nothing can match the analog sound of the vinyl, that rich unique sound....

The Above ^^^ are previous posts I copied.

I love vinyl, prefer it, but eventually it will go away. I like the digital options and how the digital software is now enhancing digital music files to sound more analog(like vinyl)-CD's are horrible and will probably die even before vinyl and be replaced by the DVD-A. As a DJ you have to adapt and learn the new technology, but I'm sure any DJ doing a club set would have a bag of vinyl(if the club has turntables) and a bag of CD's and not just rely on and trust a laptop. Vinyl does have a warmer sound, analog is the natural way that sound flows through the air, that's why companies like Rane are coming out with Serato and adding Vinyl enhancements to it. Vinyl may eventually die, but it has lived alot longer than people predicted.

As for new releases getting to every so called "DJ" on the planet at the same time, instead of the DJ's who payed their dues and have connections getting it ahead of time- I miss those days. I miss going to a club and hearing something by a great DJ and running to the booth to find out what it is and then having to hunt it down for a few days or weeks, that's what true DJ's do to get music. No reason an 18 year old rookie DJ should be able to get the music at the same time as a veteran who has paid dues or hunted it down. But what can you do, it is what it is.

My 2 cents.

SAVE THE VINYL!!

, since CDs/laptops offer many more capabilities than a set of turntables do.

not true actually

theres a # of whats called (AWSOME NEW TECHNOLOGY) that i see a few djs using

i ask questions about it and while i do embrace new tech

i see that the NEW TECH also has its major limits

for example

with tables you can do the following

play record #1

que record #2

all while playing a loop from Cd Decks #3 & #4

you cant do ANY of this with the new tech

If you know a way to do a spinn back with ALL of the new technology then please point that out because its non existant with all of the new tech

you also cant cue up TWO tracks and play a 3rd with new tech at the same time you are adding an effect to track 1 for example

if any of that is confusing i suggest you go back to using Vinyl and Cds together

because its the ONLY way it can be done

Antifm Radio

Like most other sub-genres, Dj'ing is a lifestyle. You have to immerse yourself into the music. Its more than playing one song after another.

It's being able to establish a flow.

It's being able to establish a connection with other people through your selection of music.

It's being able to move an audience, no matter how big or small the audience may be.

It's a willingness to sacrifice other things in your life to do something you love.

It's the ability to be a part of something bigger than yourself.

It's an addiction.

It's a feeling.

It's something that's really damn hard to explain.

I aien't gunna hate on people who play CD's. Some of the better Dj's that I know use CD's. I do have a problem with people who get most of their music through free download websites + free file sharing groups because they would rather spend their money on drugs or some shit for their car. I do have a problem with people who don't involve themselves with the scene. I do have a people who are damn leeches and vultures and contribute NOTHING to the betterment of the scene.

Stop looking for damn handouts! CD's don't kill vinyl, freeloaders kill vinyl!

I do have a problem with people who are damn leeches and vultures and contribute NOTHING to the betterment of the scene.

Stop looking for damn handouts! CD's don't kill vinyl, freeloaders kill vinyl!

very true in my opinion

Just as a NOTE Robbie

how many times during your LVIE SHOWS, GIGS, or just in general online have you had someone come to you and say

"CAN YOU PASS ME THAT TRACK?"

i cant see vinyl being haulted in production for the least

yea its a bit of trouble to produce but again

so are cigarettes and many other "commodities"

but you wont see those stopped in production either

by the way

can anyone explain the differance between a

MASHUP

and

a MIX ?

Mashup USAULLY refers to two(2) or more records (songs) that usually are hits in their own right and a dj/producer takes two or more songs and makes a new recording using the existing records (songs) out of the existing ones.

mix could refer to variety of things but to set it apart from a mash-up, a mash-up is usually put out on the commrecial market via boot-legging/white labels/file sharing/p2p/what have you...

Dinosaur Djs and newbie Technology

Are the old schools being pushed out?

with all the NEW technology going on for mixing live

(actually i dont call it mixing but lests move on)

...do the old schoold djs still have a chance or are they soon to be pushed out

because their expences are too high

cost of records, more baggage to carry, and so on.

Meanwhile a newbie technology dj can walk into the club with an iPod and still play tracks all night?

Whats better for your ear? what would you rather see as a club goer?

How does this effect your time in the spotlight as if you were a dj?

and to the club heads... do you still respect a dj when you notice hes not using any vinyl?