Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DEATH of VINYL, Record SHopS, Real Djing

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to add my .02 because I can Damnit!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway as a DJ for well over 15 years I have always welcomed technology. I think it's good for the industry. As far as file sharing goes I think it is highly over abused and just because you have an i-pod full of tracks that you didn't pay for does not make you a DJ. It personally makes you a Hack! I am not going to sit here and act "Holier Than Thou" and say I have never used a file sharing program to get a track here or there. I personally own just about every track that I have downloaded through file sharing. There are plenty of times there is a certin track that I want to play on a night and I don't own it, and with almost every record store that I deal with being on line there is no way I am going to get the track that day. So I download it knowing that I have bought the vinyl and waiting for it to come in or are buying the track with my next order. So in the long run no money is lost from the artist, retailer, or label.

As far as big DJ's that use only CD's or Final Scratch or whatever, they can do that because they have paid thier dues and learned how to mix using vinyl and have more vinyl than you will ever imagine. For the most part everything that they're playing during a gig is a promo or a original production that either they or another producer has sent them via IM or something. And they are also traveling the world damn near every day and anybody that has traveled with a record bag knows that it can be a pain in the ass.

I personally feel more confident spinning with vinyl but technology has cought up to me as well. I am pretty much 80% vinyl and 20% CD's now.

You said the key words: "Paid their dues." A lot of the younger generation have been spoiled by their parents most of their lives. They are used to instant gratification and a lot of the time not having to pay for it. They don't want to pay their dues. People in this industry, for the most part, are not made overnight. It takes commitment and patience. After you go through all the bullshit you can do whatever you want.

This also goes back to antifm's question. To briefly answer it: yes, kids today are lazy and that probally influences their decision on why to play CD's over records.

Feel free to come by anytime, if even to just hang out. We hang out late on Thursday nights while we broadcast our internet radioshow. It's a good pre-game to the weekend.

nice im going to have to stop by sometime as well.. probably next month after the holidays.. =)

when I djed in LA back in 2001, all they had was turntables out there....

times have changed, but you might get a gig where its all turntables one day...

good to know I have vinyl and can play on vinyl. gives me piece of mind

How true that is. I would love to see what would happen if some of these I-Pods (I mean DJ's) would do if they got booked to play a spot that only had turntables, or a broken CD decks. Their lives and reputation would be fucked. The party must go on weither or not the CD players work. Also you can't know how to use every single CD deck out there, it's not possiable. I personally only know how to use the Pioneer CDJ's. And if I get somewhere that doesn't have them I just go own about my business as usual.

I still think using vinyl adds a bit of entertainment value to a dj set. It's definately boring to watch a dj clicking his mouse to select songs. IT IS OK FOR A DJ TO BREAK A SWEAT!!! Honestly djs get paid pretty well - and everybodys bitchin that they can't make a few trips to their car to bring in their crates. What's it take 10 minutes?

Also the whole mp3 thing takes the work out of being a dj. Before only the real dedicated people would keep spinnin, cause you had to spend hours at the record shop & even more hours practicing. Now kids wanna burn a bunch of songs, pick up some cdjs and expect to get a club gig next week. Personally I didn't even wanna step in a club untill I had a good few years of practice.

One upside (maybe) is that since there is no such thing as (exclusives) any more - is that the djs will have to have some actual skill to set themselves apart. Also the new school djs don't know shit about old school - so after they play their billboard top 20 - then what?

I say a dj is at his best using both vinyl & cd - but myself - I'm still 90% vinyl and still love it - and so does my crowd - biatch!!!

I still think using vinyl adds a bit of entertainment value to a dj set. It's definately boring to watch a dj clicking his mouse to select songs. IT IS OK FOR A DJ TO BREAK A SWEAT!!! Honestly djs get paid pretty well - and everybodys bitchin that they can't make a few trips to their car to bring in their crates. What's it take 10 minutes?

Also the whole mp3 thing takes the work out of being a dj. Before only the real dedicated people would keep spinnin, cause you had to spend hours at the record shop & even more hours practicing. Now kids wanna burn a bunch of songs, pick up some cdjs and expect to get a club gig next week. Personally I didn't even wanna step in a club untill I had a good few years of practice.

One upside (maybe) is that since there is no such thing as (exclusives) any more - is that the djs will have to have some actual skill to set themselves apart. Also the new school djs don't know shit about old school - so after they play their billboard top 20 - then what?

I say a dj is at his best using both vinyl & cd - but myself - I'm still 90% vinyl and still love it - and so does my crowd - biatch!!!

You stated some logical points and i agree with you but there are a few things that you left out which really play a important part of this whole debate >>> money, cost, income

vinyl as you know costs alot these days. $10.99-$13.99 (if you are playing cutting-edge music you most likely are buying imports)

+ tax., shipping + handling (if you don't have a vinyl shop close to you.

now, reality dictates that you are most likely going to be playing one (1) of the tracks on that import and pay attention to the other crap on that import

vs.

going online and listening to & buying the exact mix that you like for

$.99- $3.99

how much does your get paid to play a gig without being part of the promotions team and spending all week going out promoting?

$50.00 - $300.00

do the math, and you forgot to eat, pay your electric bill, rent, etc.

without writing an essay it's just makes sense to go digital....

i'm not defending digital, i don't care for it personally but convinience, efficiantcy, and low cost will usually win out all other options even if we lose a few things along the way.

how many vinyl record stores have survived in nyc? it's sad!

How true that is. I would love to see what would happen if some of these I-Pods (I mean DJ's) would do if they got booked to play a spot that only had turntables, or a broken CD decks. Their lives and reputation would be fucked. The party must go on weither or not the CD players work. Also you can't know how to use every single CD deck out there, it's not possiable. I personally only know how to use the Pioneer CDJ's. And if I get somewhere that doesn't have them I just go own about my business as usual.

this is true.

Imagine playing at a set and one of the CD players just dies....

if all you have is CD's your fucked.

what are you gonna get on the mic and be like..."excuse me, the cd player broke..."

this is true.

Imagine playing at a set and one of the CD players just dies....

if all you have is CD's your fucked.

what are you gonna get on the mic and be like..."excuse me, the cd player broke..."

I said the same thing when the cd thing became popular but a proper club with any respect for the djs they are bringing will have a back-up. most of these small establishments could really care less about the equipement and buy any cheap rinky dink dual cd player and say they are open for business.

no piece of equipment is 100% fail safe. if the amps aren't heating up, the speakers blowing and cracking, the needles worn out, the rubber bands too loose or too tight on the floating TTs, the turntables not calibrated, or the cdj going on the blink there could always be somehthing that goes wrong and you are gonna have to figure it out as you go along.

the important part is that you djs out there ask what you are going to play on before you accept a gig. pioneer cdjs look they will be here fro some time and are the industry standard right now, ask for them, ask that the people you play for take their equipment seriously...if you're playing for a hundred bucks and drink tix it's the least they could do!!!!

I've said it once, i'll say it 100x if you don't yourself as a professional you will not be treated as one....by the looks of it it will be some time before the lot of you djs out there take yourselves seriously...until then you are going to be seen as a low commodity that can be replaced with a phone call and can be paid with a few drinks and a bump or two.

I said the same thing when the cd thing became popular but a proper club with any respect for the djs they are bringing will have a back-up. most of these small establishments could really care less about the equipement and buy any cheap rinky dink dual cd player and say they are open for business.

Yeah, but the majority of DJ's are playing in IMPROPER venues rather than proper ones. This is what I really get a kick out of though....

If you go to a smaller venue and see the DJ playing all CD's, she/he'll usually tell you it's because she/he would rather bring a couple of CD books than a few crates of records.

OK, I can understand that. It's easier. We do, after all, live in a lazy society. But then you'll see them bring out their own CD player(s) (the cost of these could be anywhere between $500-$2000, depending on what kind and how many) because the CD players at the venue are shitty, or they don't know how to work them. LoL.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wopuld rather bring out records than equipment any day of the week. Breaking down, setting up, breaking down, setting up. Such a pain in the ass!

Yeah, but the majority of DJ's are playing in IMPROPER venues rather than proper ones. This is what I really get a kick out of though....

If you go to a smaller venue and see the DJ playing all CD's, she/he'll usually tell you it's because she/he would rather bring a couple of CD books than a few crates of records.

OK, I can understand that. It's easier. We do, after all, live in a lazy society. But then you'll see them bring out their own CD player(s) (the cost of these could be anywhere between $500-$2000, depending on what kind and how many) because the CD players at the venue are shitty, or they don't know how to work them. LoL.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wopuld rather bring out records than equipment any day of the week. Breaking down, setting up, breaking down, setting up. Such a pain in the ass!

true, that's totally illogical if you are risking your equipment like that.

I hope vinyl stays around but you even get 10 new records for $100 anymore. wtf!!!???

a dj plays their records for an average 5min. a piece... so for $100 you're usually not even getting an hours worth of music....no wonder

the 2 hour dj set exists, lol

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how I got such crap on this board when I used my laptop to play an MP3 at the tunnel AND i mixed it in with the previous record on my own.

Funny how times change.

I can DJ off of PCDJ with a controller and still have 90% of the creative ability as with vinyl so it's kinda a no brainer. There's really not that much of a difference unless you are spinning hop-hop. Then I feel vinyl STILL rules.

Renegade

Lol. I was listening to KTU this past Saturday night during the Paul Oakenfold show. Well, he was playing and all of a sudden I hear the music going "dip-dip-dip-dip-dip-dip-dip" I started cracking up and my friend asked what was happening. I told her the CD he was playing was sticking. It went like that for at least 30 seconds (I could imagine him fumbling around w/ his CD book trying to get the next song ready). I jokingly told her that's what happens when you play w/ CD's. LOL

actually Rob

over at the MAX106 studio we were broadcasting MASI and MELLO for a bit and came across a few logs where the audio skipped on the output.

we later foung that it was the actual FILE that was sent to us, and not the CD with the "anomaly" (sp)

either way

that doesnt mean Oakies Cds didnt skip :laugh:

ANTI FM's previous post:

i see that the NEW TECH also has its major limits

for example

with tables you can do the following

play record #1

que record #2

all while playing a loop from Cd Decks #3 & #4

you cant do ANY of this with the new tech

If you know a way to do a spinn back with ALL of the new technology then please point that out because its non existant with all of the new tech

you also cant cue up TWO tracks and play a 3rd with new tech at the same time you are adding an effect to track 1 for example

REPLY: I prefer Traktor DJ over all other standalone DJ software for mixing and their latest version 3.0 has 4 decks, punch in efx, loops, editing features, etc. A free 30 day demo is available at : http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?traktor_us

Personally I prefer the sound of Vinyl, especially the imports, I see the computer software as more of a threat to CDs than Vinyl. Eventually CDs will be replaced by the DVD-A anyway, DVD-AUDIO.