Clubplanet Nightlife Community

poor people in bergenfield...... :(

oh ok. Did you go to S4 on Sat? I did. In my opinion, it was better than Fridays. I had a great time..

Yea, I was there w/ some friends.... nice big bottle of Grey Goose and got hammer, closed it out at 3.

kutlass, Saturday night does not have a house music format... it never did.

Explosion, fire at Bergenfield apartment building

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

By SCOTT FALLON

STAFF WRITER

VIEW PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE

(Please disable pop-up blocker)

BERGENFIELD - Firefighters continued battling a blaze Tuesday afternoon while rescuers searched for an unaccounted-for resident after an explosion blasted through a three-story apartment complex hours earlier.

The 9:30 a.m. blast, touched off by construction workers who hit a gas line, injured at least five people at the 24-unit building at 30 Elm St., police said. The complex was mostly a mix of young people and senior citizens, several residents said.

Three people were taken to Hackensack University Medical Center, including one woman who had second-degree burns over 40 to 50 percent of her body and third-degree burns on her hands, authorities said. She is listed in serious condition, said Dr. Joseph Feldman, chairman of the emergency trauma department.

A second woman was admitted with serious head and body injuries. She was stabilized and admitted, Feldman said.

CONTACT THE RECORD:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eyewitnesses can contact reporter Walter Dawkins at at (201) 646 - 4334 or e-mail dawkins@northjersey.com.

A man who was walking past the building suffered head injuries and second degree burns on his hands but was listed as stable, he said.

No names or ages were given because their families had not yet been notified, Feldman said.

Two people who suffered minor injuries were taken to Englewood Hospital.

Police had received a report of a gas leak from the side of the building around 8:55 a.m., Police Chief Thomas Lucas said.

Police, firefighters and Public Service Electric and Gas workers were investigating the leak when the building exploded a little over a half-hour later.

“It’s an unstable situation right now,” Lucas said, shortly before noon. “We’re doing our best to fight the fire.”

County Sheriff Leo P. McGuire told MSNBC that authorities were trying to determine whether the one missing person was in the building at the time of the explosion. Other officials said they were trying to douse the blaze first.

“We need to stop the fire and stabilize the situation and then proceed with our search,” Lucas, the police chief, said.

Lucas said he didn’t know what caused the blast, which collapsed part of the building.

Law enforcement and utility company officials said that a pit dug by construction workers who were trying to remove an underground oil tank collapsed and pinched a gas line about three feet away just before 9 a.m.

Police, firefighters and Public Service Electric and Gas crews went to the scene after residents nearby reported the odor of gas. PSE&G workers were shutting down the gas line when it exploded a half-hour later.

Fire officials said they didn’t evacuate the building before the explosion because they didn’t smell an odor or hear any hissing.

“We get numerous reports of gas leaks everyday,” Bergenfield Fire Chief John Pampaloni said. “We don’t evacuate every single one of them. We can’t account for why there was no odor or hissing sound.”

Bergen County Police Lt. Dwane Razzetti said 300 to 400 police, fire and emergency personnel responded.

The explosion sent up plumes of smoke that could been see more than 10 miles away.

Anthony Sorrentino, who lives about a block away, thought it was an earthquake, as everything began falling off his shelves.

“When it stopped shaking, we all went outside and the fire was 50 feet high,” he said. “The flames were enormous. It was the most incredible thing. I thought I was watching a movie."

Walking from the 9 a.m. Mass at St John The Evangelist Church, 51-year-old Bill Connelly looked up saw smoke billowing about a block away.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he said.

A resident of the building, Wani Pawlak, was at work in Englewood Cliffs when a former tenant instant-messaged her: “Is it true? Is the building gone?”

Pawlak rushed to the building to see if her four cats made it out.

“They couldn’t tell me anything,” she said crying. “I couldn’t care less about anything. I just want to get to my cats.”

Firefighters, who were battling the blaze in subfreezing temperatures, evacuated several homes nearby in case it spread.

Mayor Richard Bohan said about 12 families were left homeless and that the borough would be collecting donated clothing and other items for them. The Red Cross Bergen-Hudson chapter said it will put residents up in area hotels.

“Nobody has anything left," Bohan said. "The need of the holiday is on us, and we could use anything.”

“I’m not letting them go,” said the mayor, who broke down in tears while addressing reporters. “I’ll make room in my house if I have to.”

-This article contains information from wire service reports.