Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Rules on how to run the perfect club: PARADISE GARAGE (1977-1987)

thats the deal with these assholes on this board they just like to stir up shit for the sake of it. Chicago is the birthplace of house music thanks to frankie knuckles at the wareHOUSE and Ron hardy at the musicbox. while larry levan took it to another level in nyc at the paradise garage where he included house music in his dance music sets.

Techno creators from detroit, juan atkins, kevin saunderson, derrick may were inspired by many influences as well as were inspired by ron hardy at the music box and frankie knuckles at the warehouse:

Techno is a form of electronic music that emerged in the mid-1980s and primarily refers to a particular style developed in and around Detroit. The word techno is often misapplied to a number of offshoots of the original Detroit style, such as trance, and is sometimes inappropriately used to describe all electronic dance music styles.

Techno was primarily developed in basement studios by "The Belleville Three", a cadre of African-American men who were attending college, at the time, near Detroit, Michigan. The budding musicians – former high school friends and mixtape traders Juan Atkins, Derrick May, and Kevin Saunderson.

In the years immediately following the first techno compilation's release, techno was referenced in the dance music press as Detroit's relatively high-tech, mechanical brand of house music, because on the whole, it retained the same basic structure as the soulful, minimal, post-disco style that was emanating from Chicago and New York at the time. The music's producers, especially May and Saunderson, admit to having been fascinated by the Chicago club scene and being influenced by house in particular.

Taken from this website: http://www.jahsonic.com/Techno.html

LET IT GOOOOO....

coming from a female who attended the gayrage only 12 times in her life

(thank you for letting me in jose!) between 1984-85 i can tell you that it was the original birthplace of modern djing and djing techniques...

i am totally offended when i hear old garage heads hate on other genres because they are stuck in the past!!!

I'm sure larry would be offended to know how some of these old heads are always comparing parties, saying how no one parties like at the garage.

Larry played whatever the fuck he felt like playing. gospel, rock, house, disco, he did tell a story with his music but he LOVED MUSIC and you could tell he always kept an open mind towards it, accepting tracks for what they were...MUSIC. garage heads are tired because they don't keep the spirit of what the garage was truly about...music, humanity and trying to escape reality on a saturday night and touch on the emotions that make us LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

Sure, no one knows how much they thought they've invented if they weren't at the garage....acapellas, a dj laying down his own music, the remix, the re-edit, efx over records, the segway, a dj that joins in on the fun on the dancefloor....

larry wasn't perfect AT ALL! his mixes would fall off now and again but it's what he presented as a whole that mattered.

it was a great experience but let's not live in the past let's looks towards the future and create something better than the garage...and if you say it can't be done then i'd consider calling you a nitwit!

great post....lota truth in there.

You little hypocrit prick. Always talking down to people doing drugs and partying and now you want to post up this shit about a gay black club that opened when you were a sperm in your fathers sack and idiloze it's junkie Dj and drug infested atmosphere. Your so incredibly sickening there are no words to describe it.

Larry was a major heroin junkie. FACT. So before you go talking shit about people and their drug use, remember that your idol was often late for his gigs (and back then they had no opening DJ and crowds were left waiting for Levan to arrive) because he was busy in the back doing smack.

studio 54 in the late 70s was a pretty great club. i was there by 1979.

i also saw new order at the garage in 1983 on power, corruption & lies tour.

and Ive been clubbing since then & I will totally say Ive had just as great times from 1995-05. I am the opposite of someone whos stuck in the past. I

love the great djs of the last decade: DT, oakey, howells, diggers, max graham, cox, morales, lawler, junior, morillo, derrick carter & many many more.

the club scene i nyc has faced adversity since giuliani but ITS NOT DEAD.

house music FOREVER.

You little hypocrit prick. Always talking down to people doing drugs and partying and now you want to post up this shit about a gay black club that opened when you were a sperm in your fathers sack and idiloze it's junkie Dj and drug infested atmosphere. Your so incredibly sickening there are no words to describe it.

So fuckin true. Hate the negative comments about how 'it's about the music not the drugs' when the whole garage scene was totally infested with drugs to begin with ... from Larry to the gay crowd on the dancefloor.

i guess there is some confusion going on yes it is all about the music for me completely. I cant hide nor dispute the fact that drugs helped fuel the scene from the begining only thing i will say is i think the types of drugs have changed and why people do them. Its like b4 it was to get high and loose and to reach the heavens. Nowadays it looks like people are just numbing themselves with whatever they are taking. If my views on drug use are viewed as negative then i will watch what i say in the future.