Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the Story on Cosmic Gate

antifm

It was 1997, at the offive of X-It Records, when CLAUS TERHOEVEN aka NIC CHAGALL and STEFAN BOSSEMS aka DJ BOSSI met each other for the first time, not knowing what will grow out of that coincidence.

Today - seven years later - NIC and BOSSI - better known as COSMIC GATE - belong to the most succesful German DJs and producers in the international dance scene. The sound of COSMIC GATE covers from trance to hardtrance over techno and is simply unmistakable.

Their hits THE DRUMS, MENTAL ATMOSPHERE, EXPLORATION OF SPACE, FIRE WIRE or RAGING - just to mention a few - reached the top of the worldwide hitlists and they are still floorkillers all over the planet from America to Australia and from England to South Africa.

Meanwhile COSMIC GATE belong to the most requested DJs of the world. NIC and BOSSI play their overwhelming sets in the hottest clubs like the Velfarre in Tokyo, the Glow in Washington, the Matrix in Nimwegen or the Passion in Coalville and at the biggest events on earth like Nature One, Mysteryland or Trance Energy in Holland. No wonder that they finally entered the popular DJ TOP 100 of the best DJs of the world in 2003 and 2004, published by the British dance magazine „DJ Magâ€.

In 2004 COSMIC GATE delivered the vinyl-eps DIFFERENT CONCEPT PART 1 and PART 2 including the four very expressive and varied tracks: ULTRA CURVE, BILINGUAL, TOMORROW and MONOTUNE. These tracks showed how versatile COSMIC GATE are and brought them a lot of credits from the wellknown djs and producers of the international scene.

The latest single I FEEL WONDERFUL - featured by the fabulous singer JAN JOHNSTON - is a topic of conversation. End of 2004 a mysterious bootleg named COSMIC - FREEFALL suddenly appeared in the UK. The whitelabel contained the instrumental COSMIC GATE track BILINGUAL remixed with the vocals of the classic-trance-tune SKYDIVE - FREEFALL. Like many others NIC and BOSSI were excited about this idea and contacted directly JAN JOHNSTON, in order to let this become an official release. In January 2005 JAN JOHNSTON flight to Germany and re-recorded with COSMIC GATE the vocals in a studio close to cologne. Created was the new single COSMIC GATE FEAT. JAN JOHNSTON - I FEEL WONDERFUL.

It began as a bootleg end of 2004 and now in 2005 COSMIC GATE rev up with two brandnew mixes. The 12 INCH MIX - based on the original version of BILINGUAL - with tough beats and a piano break. Plus the slower and much deeper AM TO PM MIX with a breath-taking atmosphere.

The record can be find in the cases of all wellknown djs like f.e. TIËSTO, PAUL VAN DYK, ARMIN VAN BUUREN, FERRY CORSTEN, MARCO V etc.. After the summer it will be released in UK on the label Mealstrom Records and of course it will be the theme of the forthcoming mix album COSMIC GATE - BACK 2 BACK VOL. 2.

The fact that the sound of COSMIC GATE rocks, shows also their remix-discography:

TIËSTO, FERRY CORSTEN, BLANK & JONES, SVENSON & GIELEN or VANESSA MAE are only a few artists to mention, which let one of their own tracks be refined by a COSMIC GATE REMIX in the past.

At the moment NIC CHAGALL and BOSSI are working hard on their third artist-album, which will be released at the end of the year. So you can be very excited about the continuation of the COSMIC GATE-success-story.

Don't post much here, but i gotta chime in here...

BRING CG BACK TO NY!!!! I agree, their webster hall set was the best I've ever heard. Not sure where they would spin... the most common places - crobar, spirit, etc don't seem like venues that would seuit them...spirit more than crobar... but spirit is too small for them

I associate Cosmic Gate's early releases with some of my phattest clubbing experiences. The Drums would always send the entire floor into a fuckin frenzy. An epic track.

The Drums 2005 is pretty sick too

cosmic gate is what started it for me..

Exploration of Space and The Truth always got me

Cosmic Gate got me into this scene along with Scot Project. Haven't heard them live since Exit like 4 years ago. I'd check them out again just for old time's sake.

ahhhh what a party!

I was supposed to bring them back to avalon last year but avalon flaked out... Too many internatonal bookings to just come to nyc for just one night... its a problem. gotta set up a tour!

Cosmic Gate got me into this scene along with Scot Project. Haven't heard them live since Exit like 4 years ago. I'd check them out again just for old time's sake.

thats weird haha Scot Project was the 2nd DJ who got me hooked...Scot should be around in January at Avalon..his last two times at Avalon were sickkkkkkkkk

Cosmic Gate is what woke me up to trance in the late 90s.

Prior to then, I wasnt in2 trance just because I categorized trance as cheesy, commercial stuff. Once I heard 'Drums,' their remix of Green Court's 'Follow Me' and then the midnight mix of 'Mental Atmosphere,' I was blown away.

Matter of fact, Boris used to rock alot of their productions and that's how I found out about them.

Never knew trance could get hard and deep.

I wasnt feeling their latest remix of 'I Feel Wonderful,' but was def and still am, rocking to 'Ultra Curve.' Loving the tribal elements in the track.

Cosmic Gate is what woke me up to trance in the late 90s.

Prior to then, I wasnt in2 trance just because I categorized trance as cheesy, commercial stuff. Once I heard 'Drums,' their remix of Green Court's 'Follow Me' and then the midnight mix of 'Mental Atmosphere,' I was blown away.

Matter of fact, Boris used to rock alot of their productions and that's how I found out about them.

Never knew trance could get hard and deep.

I wasnt feeling their latest remix of 'I Feel Wonderful,' but was def and still am, rocking to 'Ultra Curve.' Loving the tribal elements in the track.

very true

i remember tellin ppl many times when asked "what kinda music you spin?"

one of the catagories i mentioned were HARD TRANCE.

the reply i revcieved was "There is no such thing, thats an oximoron, it doesnt exist"

And this being from a very large music community "Naughty booth"

Well i still spin it and CG is still one of my favs.