Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How does Vicious land an Essential mix and JP doesn't

cause back in 1996 johnny vicious was actually cutting edge for that era and also had his hands on the entire catalog of i think prelude or salsoul records. And the remixes he was working on were awesome in brinign in newer music with older vocals, but then he turn away from that sound and well now you know what hes like.

ALSO IM NOT A JP FAN at all.

probably bc johnny viscious has mixed compilations for MOS and such, and Digweed was afraid that Jp was going to send in and hr long madonna remix.

Digweed doesn't have anything to do with Essential Mix -

Digweed is on KISS 100 - Pete Tong hosts Essential Mix on Radio 1 - completely different.

Everyone should really check out the broadcast of Danny Rampling's "goodbye" essential mix from Christmas. After 18 years, he is retiring from DJ. He will be missed....great house dj.

JP is not known much outside of the tri-state area. That doesnt mean he sucks or vicious is better, its just the way the industry works

The reason JP is tristate is because outside of Tristate area he doesnt have anything creditable to show for. DJ Mags rated #568 or something in that range does that tell you something? Look at DT for example the guy mostly spins in NYC but hes known around the world for the music he produces. The only reason JP is still in business is thanks to "his cult" that never grew up and did anything creditable with their lives. I mean just look at some of the crowd that follows him. Example 30 year olds that live with parents, barely hold a job, and have nothing going for them but will spend any dime to go see him.

Where was JP known before SF? Vicious has a lot more to offer and bring to the table than JP, just judging from his experience, the venues he perfomed in and the records he produced.I mean granted Vicious fell off after dropping his style, but the guy himself is a classic.

It's Experience Vs. Trend

Experience counts, and i dont think JP has the shoes to fill in like Vicious does or did in his prime.

The reason JP is tristate is because outside of Tristate area he doesnt have anything creditable to show for. DJ Mags rated #568 or something in that range does that tell you something? Look at DT for example the guy mostly spins in NYC but hes known around the world for the music he produces. The only reason JP is still in business is thanks to "his cult" that never grew up and did anything creditable with their lives. I mean just look at some of the crowd that follows him. Example 30 year olds that live with parents, barely hold a job, and have nothing going for them but will spend any dime to go see him.

Where was JP known before SF? Vicious has a lot more to offer and bring to the table than JP, just judging from his experience, the venues he perfomed in and the records he produced.I mean granted Vicious fell off after dropping his style, but the guy himself is a classic.

It's Experience Vs. Trend

Experience counts, and i dont think JP has the shoes to fill in like Vicious does or did in his prime.

I think your wrong. for one, none of the old crowd that use to go listen to JP arent even around... I would say a good 80-90% of the people who listen to JP now and go to his shows, are real young, deff not 30 year olds. I am 26 and when I walked by the limelight on halloween I looked at the crowd is was very young, as compared to the Old School Factory heads where it was much older back in the SF days..

and its also wrong to generalize a DJ's fans. If your going to say JP fans are degenerates, because thats pretty much were you went, then what are you going to say about the crowd that follows Junior Vasquez?

Pound for Pound, to be very honest with you, JP and Vicious production wise I think are neck and neck.... both have their classics, but I dont remember Vicious ever holding a residency for that long, so I am trying to figure out when Vicious prime was???

DJ wise, I can't speak, because I never heard Johnny Vicious live.

1996 was vicious esential mix, as i stated earlir during the mid 90s jv was a very good groundbreaking producer and had a fantastic name attached to him and a cool record shop on 1st ave.

How bout because JP just plain sucks big Donkey balls, His only fans are the old school factory heads, or the 17-18 year old kids who have never heard any other DJ.

1996 was vicious esential mix, as i stated earlir during the mid 90s jv was a very good groundbreaking producer and had a fantastic name attached to him and a cool record shop on 1st ave.

beyond bass the record shop name?

ohhhh, i thought people were saying he had one coming up. i was about to say....

The reason JP is tristate is because outside of Tristate area he doesnt have anything creditable to show for. DJ Mags rated #568 or something in that range does that tell you something?

DJ Mag had JP at 106 this year just for kicks, and you should never ever use DJ Mag as a justification for anything..

DJ Mag had JP at 106 this year just for kicks, and you should never ever use DJ Mag as a justification for anything..

thedjlist.com there u go that was one of my sources.

as for JP goes...i dont hate him just think hes overrated right here in nyc.....i've been around few places in europe and here in us, and i must say there is a lot more artists that deserve more creditability than JP.

it also might be the aspect that the crowd is not educated on good artists or good house music these days and no go see who is booked here in nyc