Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Credit Card Decision

I've used a Visa check card for years because my credit used to be so bad I wouldn't qualify for a credit card. But I've cleaned my credit up huge in the last few years and now my score is pretty good. I get a lot of credit card offers now after buying a car last year, and recently buying a condo, but I want to hear from card owners. I want to get a good credit card since I know I'll qualify for it, and using it will boost my credit further. So I'm looking for recomendations based on experience. What do you use, are you happy with it, with the rates, with customer service, with how the late fees are, ect? I don't plan to pay anything back late, but anything can happen.

go into a bank and get a secured loan

it will run as a credit card if you choose and its secured with the money you originally put down as a credit line which will boost your credit almost three times as fast as a credit card would allot....its the easiest way to boost your credit

now, if you want a true credit card, stay AWAY from capital one. the way they report their customer's daily transactions landed them a huge lawsuit (which capital one will probably win) but still leaves their customers with piss poor credit because of it

go into a bank and get a secured loan

it will run as a credit card if you choose and its secured with the money you originally put down as a credit line which will boost your credit almost three times as fast as a credit card would allot....its the easiest way to boost your credit

now, if you want a true credit card, stay AWAY from capital one. the way they report their customer's daily transactions landed them a huge lawsuit (which capital one will probably win) but still leaves their customers with piss poor credit because of it

I had a car loan with Capital One and paid it off so my standing with them is good, but I don't like them for the same reasons you posted. I didn't have any big trouble with their reporting though.

I'm going to look into the bank secured loan idea. My mortgage broker, the one who screwed me over and cost me a bundle, urged me to open more lines of credit to boost up my credit for when I resell my condo and buy a house. He lied about almost everything, but I believe him on that. And of course, what you posted about it I trust also. Thanks.

I've used a Visa check card for years because my credit used to be so bad I wouldn't qualify for a credit card. But I've cleaned my credit up huge in the last few years and now my score is pretty good. I get a lot of credit card offers now after buying a car last year, and recently buying a condo, but I want to hear from card owners. I want to get a good credit card since I know I'll qualify for it, and using it will boost my credit further. So I'm looking for recomendations based on experience. What do you use, are you happy with it, with the rates, with customer service, with how the late fees are, ect? I don't plan to pay anything back late, but anything can happen.

revolvers, and ppl with rolling debt get the most offers... just because youre getting offers doesnt mean youre the best candidate to have one... cc companies make money on lending you money, if you pay all your bills and never have debt they dont want you because they dont make money off of you...

revolvers, and ppl with rolling debt get the most offers... just because youre getting offers doesnt mean youre the best candidate to have one... cc companies make money on lending you money, if you pay all your bills and never have debt they dont want you because they dont make money off of you...

True, very true. I realize that. Yet ironically, I was turned down for credit cards years ago when my credit was so bad. Go figure.

I had a car loan with Capital One and paid it off so my standing with them is good, but I don't like them for the same reasons you posted. I didn't have any big trouble with their reporting though.

I'm going to look into the bank secured loan idea. My mortgage broker, the one who screwed me over and cost me a bundle, urged me to open more lines of credit to boost up my credit for when I resell my condo and buy a house. He lied about almost everything, but I believe him on that. And of course, what you posted about it I trust also. Thanks.

opening up more lines of credit are only good if you have a certain number...like dont take out any more then three. Also, do not carry a balance of more then 50% on any of them, ever. Whats gonna suck is this new rule with credit cards thats gonna double the minimum payments on almost all credit cards effective the first of this year....

Truth is, look to open up secured loans if you want to manage your credit. Or, if you can obtain high balance credit cards ($5000 or more) then what I would suggest is pay your utility bills, cell phone bills, etc. that dont hold much balance every month on your credit cards and immediately pay them off the very next month. It costs you $$$$$ in interest which sucks just to boost credit a little, but its a cost you were gonna spend anyway and putting a balance and wiping it clean each month does wonders for your credit.....

again, another thing that can be accomplished with secured loans

ps. sounds like your "broker" knew very little of what he was doing.

I would agree that if you can do it without credit cards or secured loans (meaning cashola for everything) then do that.

One thing about Diners Card. Within the last year (or so) Diners Club now has the Master Card logo on it and is now accepted wherever Master Card is accepted. They operate similar to AMEX in that they want you to pay off the balance every month. However they do allow 'almost' an additional month to pay off the balance. For example if I bought something today it would appear on my Feb statement which I would receive in the 1st week of Feb (approx 30 days from now). And my Feb payment would be due by the 1st week of March (approx 60 days from now). They whack me up for a small fee based off of my previous balance but its smaller in comparison to some other credit cards. For Dec I carried a bal close to $4-5g's and was assessed a $107 interest charge.

Lastly you get points for every $1 spent and their catalog aint half bad. Its worth looking into.

I recently bought a condo with less than stellar credit and my mortgage rep said the quickest way to boost your credit is by paying a mortgage. He also said never max out your credit cards. So the 50% level stated above is true.

A professional poker friend of mine has an Amex(Black) Centurion card. You cannot apply for this card. You can only be invited. You also have to have been an Amex customer for at least a year and charge at least 150k a year on it. And I think the annual fee is like $2,500.

He also told me that the card arrived at his house with a security guard. You get this big, black, velvet-lined box, with a special mini-computer and two black cards in it, one for business, one for pleasure. If you put your card in the mini-computer, it tells you how much you've spent.