Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Best sound system in vegas right now?

louped

going to be visiting in early Feb.

just wanted to know the sound systems that I should def. try to check out....

biggest locals night out?

are there any nice rotaries installed in LV clubs? ie Urei, Bozak, A&H, E&S, Phazon

and how to get lin/VIP passes? I will be there during the week, so off night passes should do it for me....

Thansk a bunch!

louped

The Funktion One at Ice is good, but not as good as their install at Vanguard in LA, which is probably their flagship install. It's awesome.

I heard Rain installed a Dynacord, which is the best system I have ever heard. Dynacord has their Alpha One installed at Space, and it is phenomenal, better than Phazon IMO.

Jet has an EAW/Avalon system installed, called the Jet Series. It's excellent, especially in their house room.

Empire Ballroom claims to have the best system in America, but it's themselves saying that, so that's not exactly an objective opinion. I don't even know what hardware they have installed over there.

Yes ICE has by far been the best in my opinion..

Jet, in both the house room and main room are TOO Freaking loud with the Highs.

I gave Chris Garcia a relief at jet in the house room and the mixer was just dumb... nothing to adjust .. no high knob. no mids knob.. no lows knob.. just a gain and bring in volume knob( on rotary at that).. not even a crossfader

phonos came in way stronger then CDs.. no level light to tell anything... not very impressed..

but Empire did improve their sound from the first week they opened.. before it was flat sounding.. only coming from the stage area.. now its pretty nice..but cant say its the best..

with ICE though.. certain music brings out the full beauty of its sound system. Hearing Faarsheed play at ICE and EMpire.. totally night and day..

I gave Chris Garcia a relief at jet in the house room and the mixer was just dumb... nothing to adjust .. no high knob. no mids knob.. no lows knob.. just a gain and bring in volume knob( on rotary at that).. not even a crossfader phonos came in way stronger then CDs.. no level light to tell anything... not very impressed..

Interesting. I stood just off to the side of Josh Wink for the bulk of his set at Jet on opening weekend, and they had a much, much, much better board set up (and the sound in the house room was excellent). I can't imagine that Wink traveled with this gear, but perhaps Jet only rented the equipment for the weekend. Unfortunate that Garcia was given such crap to work with.

Good to know that the sound at Empire has improved. Opening weekend there it was good, but nothing that amazed... I thought perhaps it was more in my mind since I had gone there directly from ICE.

yeah.. well they did have an ALLEN & HEATH Mixer there up until last week.. dont know why they would go with anything less than a pioneer 600.. even a RANE would be perfect for brand new club... but oh well..

Yeah I did hear Josh Wink on opening night.. I play Electro myself.. but some of the stuff he was playing was just way too cracked out for me. .and the highs were very distorted in my opinion.. and i was standing by the bar.

yes.. coming from ice will definetely have your ears begging for more of the same.. anything else would be uncivilized.

hope you have a good time when you come out here...

yes the rain system is dynacord, as installed by Lord Toussant, Miami -- Toussant's latest install is Pacha nyc..... mixed reviews so far... but hard to say if it is just the normal nyc drama...

Yes ICE has by far been the best in my opinion..

Jet, in both the house room and main room are TOO Freaking loud with the Highs.

I gave Chris Garcia a relief at jet in the house room and the mixer was just dumb... nothing to adjust .. no high knob. no mids knob.. no lows knob.. just a gain and bring in volume knob( on rotary at that).. not even a crossfader phonos came in way stronger then CDs.. no level light to tell anything... not very impressed..

with ICE though.. certain music brings out the full beauty of its sound system. Hearing Faarsheed play at ICE and EMpire.. totally night and day..

very interesting, i like a minimal mixer sometimes.... do you know what board was being used? old audioarts or power rotaries don't have all the circuitry, I have heard that the audioarts mixers sound real good too....

yeah.. well they did have an ALLEN & HEATH Mixer there up until last week.. dont know why they would go with anything less than a pioneer 600.. even a RANE would be perfect for brand new club... but oh well..

yes.. coming from ice will definetely have your ears begging for more of the same.. anything else would be uncivilized.

hope you have a good time when you come out here...

so do they swap mixers out all the time? which is standard for the club?

&, most importantly; how do I get VIP passes for Ice & Jet... line shouldn't be too big a deal during the week, right? or should i work on getting both line and vip passes?

also, what is the bigger weekday locals night? where is the local hot-spot?

thanks a bunch for the info....

heres a pic of my mixer/x-over, I have since cleaned up the X-over a bit and changed the knobs... look ma, no crossfader :D

ewwww.. that mixer to the left is the one they put in the house room at Jet. Its very clean as far and the bring in level.. but i still need to have to be able to manipulate highs mids and lows...

as far as the line passes and stuff.. the only way those really work, is if you are there at around 10:30-11:00.. after that .. its a madhouse.. and thats where popularity seems to play its role.

i think the rotaries feel more natural than the linear faders.... also the high end rotaries tend to be higher fidelity than "mainstream" mixers..

i had a coupla ranes b4 MP44, MP/XP2016, and one other but i forget the model -- also had a few other big name mixers, but honestly nothing sounds as good as the UREI

All about the sound quality.

to get past the lack of EQs some instalations will have outboard isolators for each channel of the UREI, but that gets expensive real quick. that's how its done at Stereo in Montreal from what the installer says...

was it the older one like mine or the new one here:

http://www.ureidj.com/product_1620LE.aspx

FYI

if you ever have to fill in again on the UREI, to compensate for the low level line (CDs) have the units assigned to one of the alpha characters on the input matrix and bring in two channels of the same source, it works pretty well to take care of the difference in output....

you can get on of the new ones for about $1100 if you look around, price on old ones varies depending on condition

you can add outboard effects or mix three copies each hitting within a 1/4 beat to add some excitement.... and i have heard that an outboard x-fader really isn't to difficult to design/order either, if it is a necessity...

• 2 weeks later...

After this morning's party at Empire Ballroom, I would like to update this thread. The best sound system in Vegas is the new Funktion One at Empire. It is clear as day, and with pulverizing bass. For those who were there last night, the system was not even displaying 50% of its power.

After this morning's party at Empire Ballroom, I would like to update this thread. The best sound system in Vegas is the new Funktion One at Empire. It is clear as day, and with pulverizing bass. For those who were there last night, the system was not even displaying 50% of its power.

I agree 100% - that system has some serious kick to it - especially on the main floor. The bass on some of the tracks Morillo played that morning was harder than anything I've ever heard out here. At first I was under the impression they only brought that in for Friday's party - but if that is here to stay and was only at about 50% - WOW

Technically, that was a temporary install. Empire Ballroom will be getting a permanent Funktion One system as soon as it is finished being built at the company's headquarters. As awesome as that one in there on Saturday morning was, the permanent one will be even better.

Technically, that was a temporary install. Empire Ballroom will be getting a permanent Funktion One system as soon as it is finished being built at the company's headquarters. As awesome as that one in there on Saturday morning was, the permanent one will be even better.

to elaborate a little further, the main room at empire will be outfitted with the Funktion-One Resolution Five series. Thats the same one used at Vangaurd in LA. The back room and patio will have the same system system that was used at Cielo in NYC. basically empire will have the best sound system in the west and arguably in the US.

• 10 months later...

Never been to Empire as I did not know about it when I was there (how it escaped me I don't know, as I poured over this forum before I left) But I thought ICE's Funktion One was awesome for Lawler. I may be a little buyest though as after going to Space in Ibiza I can't wait to hear Funktion One's, that in my opinion is by far the best sound system in the world.

Never been to Empire as I did not know about it when I was there (how it escaped me I don't know, as I poured over this forum before I left) But I thought ICE's Funktion One was awesome for Lawler. I may be a little buyest though as after going to Space in Ibiza I can't wait to hear Funktion One's, that in my opinion is by far the best sound system in the world.

it definitely is.

basically empire will have the best sound system in the west and arguably in the US.

Well the bar was just raised here in the USA

There is this new club in Honolulu Hawaii, that recently opened called Lotusoundbar with a Hiend Analog custom made 1 of a kind SBS sound system & is still not even completed yet, many hiend upgrades are still on the way.

I will have pics of Lotusoundbar up shortly on my newly designed website www.systemsbyshorty.com its under construction at the moment, the old site is still up, but Lotus is not up yet on my site, but for now you can see the club at this link.

http://www.nightclubcity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117316&highlight=lotusoundbar

here is a review of the SBS sound system @ Lotus

Site link : http://deephousepage.com/cgi-bin/ult...;f=33;t=022451 :

Vman :

Member Member # 388 :

posted December 01, 2006 02:17 PM :

I visited the Lotus a few weeks ago and got to listen to the Shorty's work and let me tell you it is tight!!! I met the wonderful folks of the establishment.....Paul and the crew big shouts from San Francisco!!!

Now back to the system, I got to hear the system at a low level and it is very crisp, clear and tight! It reminded me of a bedroom with klipsh la scala's, old school cerwin vega v1000 earthquakes.....crisp highs, clear midrange, bass that goes through your body and spaciousness (close your eyes in the middle of the floor and you can 'see' where the performers are at in the recording).....now bring that sound quality along with lots of custom gear to a club scale dayyymmm! The leds on the amps blipped on the first dot only and I can imagine what the system would sound like! I cant wait to visit Honolulu again and listen to the system at full stretch....wine, women, and a whole lot of songs!! Wonderful work Shorty!! Good wishes to your vision Paul! V:

Here are links with pics to another space that was just recently completed with a HIFI Analog custom built SBS sound system in Shanghai China called Gspotclub

http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbs-gspot/

http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbs-gspot2/

http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbs-gspot3/

http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbs-gspot4/

Reviews of Gspotclub Hiend Analog SBS sound system:

site link : http://www.smartshanghai.com/index.php :

Go in, Go up... Ohhh!! You found it! Club G-Spot : Review and pictures by Plui, Oct 31st 06, 21:13 | permalink :

A low-pitch rumble becomes a heavier thud as the lift ascends to the 4th Floor of No. 1 Huai Hai Zhong Lu. The elevator doors open to a chorus line of "Huan yin guang ling" girls flanked on either side by some well-suited heavy-hitters. Behind them a wall glows with coloured strips of LED much like the "Scratch 'n Sniff"/tasting wall at the entry to Willy Wonka's top-secret candyland in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" but with a darker twist - The real difference is that this factory is all about eye and ear candy, and it's no longer a secret: It's Club G-Spot. :

And that's just the foyer! Enter the main room and head toward the dance floor - that low-pitched thud becomes a downright thump thump thump. There's table seating, as well as booths overlooking the dance floor, all lined with a plush purple carpeted wall with circular light rings cut into the design. Form meets function here as the carpeted wall effectively reduces the reverberation in the massive main room. Left of the bar is more raised table-seating and access to another room that acts as both a VIP room or a second dance area with its own bar and DJ booth and retractable wall on bigger nights. :

It's opening night and John Digweed is flown in to flex the beats on the new "Systems By Shorty" (SBS) creation - a 4-tower gargantuan arranged to saturate sound in the club's sweet-spot: G-Spot's G-Spot is in the middle of all 4 towers right under the large mirror ball... Head there for some bassbin bliss - it's flooded with bass. The speaker enclosures themselves throw the beats directly onto the dance floor so it's actually possible to stand near any of the towers and still carry out a conversation on just about anything. :

The conversation/controversy in the SmartShanghai forum leading up to the opening night was not entirely unfounded - the SBS system rocks it hard, it's very powerful without being loud on the ears. As for the eyes, the combination of multi-colored wall cutouts and ceiling effects along with the massive LED wall behind the DJ booth drench G-Spot with an 80s "Blade Runner" hazy glow. :

The "Blade Runner" effect is carried out through the long, black-marbled corridors that lead to the KTV section of the club that effectively occupies about one-third of G-Spot's 2,000 sq/m of space. The halls are bathed in a red glow of lights and mirrors leading to any one of the 8 pimped out KTV rooms. These rooms hold up to 50 and have audio/video feeds from the main dance floor that can be over-ridden with KTV audio. A closer inspection of the club's floor plan reveals a suspicious 9th private room separate from the rest, and one can only imagine what goes on in there... :

SBS Review 2 Gspot sound system

:

Site link: http://forum.smartchina.com/thread/1...h_John_Digweed :

pchubu a clubber, comments on the SBS Gspot system :

Went out to catch the much-vaunted system by Shorty and left duly impressed. I'd venture to say that the system at GSpot is definitely on par with the Phazon soundsystems used at Twilo (NY) Womb (Tokyo). You have to be on the dancefloor to get a proper feel for the system, and if on the dancefloor you get transparent sound across the whole frequency spectrum. If the DJs technique is crap and the CUE/PRG tracks aren't in lockstep - there's no place to hide with the sound so clear. No muddiness and you definitely don't get the tinniness that you sometimes hear from digital systems. Warm, full, voluminous bass that fills the floor and kicks squarely with real punch. Spent a good amount of time just standing in front of the stacks feeling the sound and the system. Awesome. It's been a while since I last experienced a system that pushed sound like this one can. It's inarguably Shanghai's best system. I hope they keep a tight music-program that covers a wide range of Dance/Electronica and DJs/musicians both local/abroad. :

I'm no fan of minimal electro, but the system makes music from that genre sound good and even compelled me to dance to it. I'm convinced you could play John Tesh or Yanni and the system would manage to make even them sound goood. :

I was told that Shorty'll be back at GSpot on a regular basis to tune the system. Impressive. Glad that nearly all sofas/tables are on the side and out of view (for the most part). As it gives the diceplayers and scenesters who aren't there to contribute to the party/vibe a place on the fringes and the serious punters a place to soak in the sound. :

I give Digweed a B. Some phenomenal and blinding tunes here and there, but the sum didn't exceed the individual parts. Choppy and disjointed flow at times as the programming wasn't as tight as Ive heard him capable of in times past. Functional, straightforward mixing that got the job done. :

A good mix of local and foreign clientele with most of the locals sat on the sidelines and the foreigners situated around the bar/dancefloor or on the dancefloor. :

www.gspotclub.net

2004, Worlds Best Sound System, SBS SytemsByShorty - Club Stereo MTL, Nominee

2005, Night Stalker Award, SBS SystemsByShorty -Club Stereo MTL, Nominee

2006, Worlds Best Sound System, SBS SystemsByShorty - Club Stereo MTL, Nominee

www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty