Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Club Avalon

4. What would draw you to such event/party?

First of all - music. When Russian DJs *REALLY* want to come up with sets that are full of bombs - they can definitely deliver. Second - girls. Russian parties bring flocks of single Russian girls, who are gorgeous, have beautiful bodies and are better dressed. In addition, Russian girls are easier to deal with than American girls because Russian girls are looking for husbands and they need to get married *NOW*, while American girls won't give up their unrealistic laundry lists.

max, you sold this party to me, and as i former student of russian language, i can use some practice

event...dude this is a good idea nyc needs some variety's..especially in music, well good luk on your party i mean i m there every saturday, i promote there and im also may be doing some opening sets for many other dj's i hope i can open for your parties.

Edge, thanks for your wishes. We need it :) Can you send me your contact info just in case? Thanks again.

Club scene in Russia really picked up over the past few years and there are plenty of really good russian djs around, so i dont think anyone should worry about music being bad. The problem is is that not that many Russians are into clubbing, a lot of them prefer lounges over clubs and have no idea about trance/house type of music, but that might just be the kind of a party that can change this. I'll be really looking forward to it, haven't been in Avalon for a while.

Ivan, thanks for the feedback. The only thing I might not agree on is that in my opinion Russians ARE into clubbing. It's a misconception that most of the Russians go out only in Brooklyn. I know many that hang out every weekend in the city.

Also, just out of curiosity, are you Russian yourself?

russian strippers that give happy endings for 20 bucks in the back room.

Just playin but honestly, any party that has a nationality based theme def will keep people away. Maybe as a one night promotion like the "crouching tiger hidden drag queen" party that was a couple weeks ago. but especially a party that runs weekly and is based on a nationality just wont work. Avalon needs to reinvent itself and very quick, the place has been managed like shit for as long as i can remember. its to the point now where the name "avalon" keeps people away because of its notorious reputation. Note to management: change something and do it quick cause i honestly dont see how you guys are still making any money, besides jp its been dead everytime ive stepped foot in there. Its a shame to because its def a cool venue

Slicer,

Who said that these parties are going to be on Saturdays? I never stated that in the original posting. Also, why is it that Russian DJs should be playing in Brooklyn only? There's so much room for every type of a DJ anywhere in NYC.

As I stated in one of my posts, keep in mind that the clubbing scene in Russia is completely different from the usual "russian" scene in NYC.

Max, great feedback. Thank you. It was extremely helpful.

Btw, both of the DJs I have mentioned in my original post are from Piter :) Just to let you know...

You're opening a dangerous door here - us, Peterskiye, take a great pride in our heritage and our affiliation with the city, so we can go on about how great we are for a while... even though we're not as snobby as Moscowites

Now that I think of it, you DON'T want to do three things:

1. Promote this party to the Russian population exclusively

2. Promote the notion that only Russian public will be there

3. Stage this event in a large venue, unless it's a dying place that's desperate to get whatever they can so the rent is next to nothing ("Exit"? "Webster Hall"? Not sure if Avalon fits in there).

You probably want to speak with DJ Boris, he surely does the right thing because:

1. Everyone knows he's Russian (he's from Leningrad too - Yeaaaaaaa!!!)

2. American clubbers love him - he packs Crobar

3. Russian clubbers love him

4. Russian girls love him

There are Russian lounges and barely any Russian clubs because:

1. Clubbing is considered immature, Russians think that

-- everyone in Manhattan clubs is on pills

-- all people do in clubs is take drugs and fuck in bathrooms

2. Lounges are promoted as "a cool thing to go to"

3. There aren't enough Russians to fill a large club, but there are certainly enough Russians to fill a lounge

4. Most lounges sell overpriced drinks and high margin food like sushi (which Russians consider upscale food)

There are Russian lounges and barely any Russian clubs because:

1. Clubbing is considered immature, Russians think that

-- everyone in Manhattan clubs is on pills

-- all people do in clubs is take drugs and fuck in bathrooms

2. Lounges are promoted as "a cool thing to go to"

3. There aren't enough Russians to fill a large club, but there are certainly enough Russians to fill a lounge

4. Most lounges sell overpriced drinks and high margin food like sushi (which Russians consider upscale food)

We're hoping to change that stereotype. Clubbing should be just as fun as lounging.

Also, we're not planning to only have Russians at our parties, everyone who's interested is absolutely welcomed.

i would go. Why not? Try it out once maybe twice. IF it totally sucks then you leave and you dont come back.

I dont really know much about Russian nightlife nor dj's from there, but i would got just to hear something different and possibly see any kind of different crowd other than cracked out smelly asians at Avalon.