Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Am I the only one who didn't enjoy Picotto last night?

Not bashing the guy or anything but I thought his set stayed at one level and that's it. What sort of programming is that?

It's too easy to bang it out and play 140 bpm tracks for 3 hours. There was no sense of journey to his set. Lizard and Pulsar have got to be the cheesiest tracks of the night. I thought I was back in Shadow Lounge listening to candy trance dj George Acosta.

I thought Junior played the best out of all of them last night.

Can't wait for next friday.

Different strokes for different folks. Glad everyone else enjoyed them.

I liked Picotto's set, but I didnt like the guy before him, the bald guy who threw down Hudson Street (I think thats the last track he threw down).

Also I think the crowd on the dancefloor didnt get good till around 3, before that it seemed to be a bunch of frat boy types trying to start stuff and looking to randomly hook up. Bumping into you, etc, plus everywhere I turned it seemed like high school make out session, if you're gonna hook up, at least dont stand in the middle of the dance floor to do it. also there were a few Muscleheads that seemed to be acting tough to impress girls. Like I was dancing with this girl just havin fun and this kid rushed up and gave me a dirty look and all trying to act hard and snatched her up, I just went off by the stairs, whatever, I was just there to have fun not get into an argument over some girl.

But around 3 when the music took off a friendlier group of people hit the dancefloor, nothing but smiles everywhere. Overall I had a good time, still, the early part of the night left me a little disapointed, mainly with the crowd where I was. Well, thats the impression I was left with, everyone will have a different perception of a night out, like you said, different strokes for different folks.

i just think that all dj's don't have take you on a journey. some dj's are all about high nrg from start to finish.

i honestly dont' want be taken on a journey every time i go out. what if you go out and your mad amped, and the dj busts out some 130 bpm tracks and you can't get into it

its all about diversity, and not that journey every single time. besides isn't that what the opening dj is for? start things off slow and then let the main event blow the roof off?

just my $.02

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by PFloyd40:

i just think that all dj's don't have take you on a journey. some dj's are all about high nrg from start to finish.

i honestly dont' want be taken on a journey every time i go out. what if you go out and your mad amped, and the dj busts out some 130 bpm tracks and you can't get into it

its all about diversity, and not that journey every single time. besides isn't that what the opening dj is for? start things off slow and then let the main event blow the roof off?

just my $.02

-Rob

I AGREE ROB, JUST THE WAY I LIKE THE MUSIC, 140-150 BPMS FROM THE MINUTE I ENTER THE CLUB TO THE MINUTE I LEAVE IT

------------------

TWILO'S WACK !!!! Sorry guys it is

"TO EACH HIS OWN" not sure by who but i like it

"dont be affraid to walk out on anything in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat coming from around the corner" Robert Deniro

AIM:msoprano13

Email:msoprano13@yahoo.com

chick.gif

Yo I wish I could tell what I thought about Picotto, but after about 30 minutes of his set I was sitting on the speaker doin nothing but enjoying the music and out of no where a bouncer asks me to leave.

I was so pissed I had been waiting a year tpo see Picotto. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wel I still ended up having a great night.....but Im kinda pissed that I only saw Mauro for about 30 minutes.

-Andy

------------------

And Everything Will Flow....Flow....Flow....

andy.gif

Originally posted by Nolimit:

"it's all about diversity"

Did u mean that in a set or in a night?

One thing Picotto wasn't was diverse; (variety, mulitiformity)

boing, boing, boing, all night long...

yea i kinda figured that

i just meant that you won't hear tracks that hard from DT or sasha and i wouldnt' expect to

just like i wouldn't have expected to hear piccotto take me on a journey, i woulda expected exactly what you described, uniformity

but like you said, if his tracks aren't your cup a tea then it doesn't matter. that kinda music doesn't go on a journey if ya ask me, its just about high nrg.

if i didn't like that style i wouldn't even go for him, but i do. so i leave the journeys to the the guys like digweed or lawler.

that basically what i mean about diversity, just that he won't take you on a journey, just like sasha won't play tracks that hard

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

in all fairness, i think it's hard for a dj to take you on a journey in three hours or less. i don't know mauro picotto's normal style, (although i just download his set from rosenmontags - i can't wait) - maybe he's not about the journey.

during the evening there was one scary song - about a girl and a guy coming to new york city... the vocals were just really menancing - it just seemed out of place with the vibe of the night. it was intense though, just another reason to dance that much harder. what's the name of that track?

In agrreance with Rob...if I'm going to see Jeff Mills, I'm not expecting a journey, I'm expectnig to be bashed over the head with a jackhammer for the next few hours. But to back Mr. Idon'thavealimit smile.gif Even with bashing it has to do something, there's got to be something of major excitement at some point like just some kickass mixing and playing with the tracks a little to keep it interesting.

As for Starstuff, 3 hours is enough time to take you on a little journey. think of it as 3 1 hour sets that have a beginning a middle and an end.

- Pete

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Upcoming Shows: Breffini Bar Sat Night

http://www.naked-edge.com/schwinge.html

My new web site...Version 1

DJSchwinge@naked-edge.com

WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT THE JOURNEY, WHEN I GO CLUBBING I WANNA BE STOMPING MY FEET INTO THE GROUND AND JUST HERE OFF THE WALL BASS DROPS AND HIGH SPEED BUILDUPS, IF I WANNA GO ON A JOURNEY ILL GET IN MY CAR AND DRIVE UNTL I GET LOST, HIGH BPMS AND INTENSE BASS IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT

------------------

TWILO'S WACK !!!! Sorry guys it is

"TO EACH HIS OWN" not sure by who but i like it

"dont be affraid to walk out on anything in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat coming from around the corner" Robert Deniro

AIM:msoprano13

Email:msoprano13@yahoo.com

chick.gif

Well, that's why I went to check this guy out last night. I've never heard him play live. After last night, I don't think I'll ever bother. I'm glad that Twilo takes the time to bring djs not just from the progressive ring, but from all dance genres.

The only thing I knew about Picotto before last night were his productions which IMO don't take much brains to make. What's with every track sounding like the bassline from Lizard?

I like it hard and pounding too. Give me Sven Vath, Mills, Plastikman, and Cox any day over cheddar Picotto.

well for those who were at twilo friday, you'd know that even hard ass techno djs can program fat ass sets(see carl cox) mauro was certainly monotonous but i was actually pleasently surprised. i was expecting a lot more 'trance nation' type cheeze anthemic music. he wasnt that bad. and jr transitioned pretty damn well, but after about an hour he hadda let the vocals loose and we jet. only problem i had with the night was that i didnt appreciate the fruitcups tugging at my shirt and touchin my ass like that...

------------------

chronic is the answer...

Sorry twilogoddess but Geaorge Acosta is the cheesiest dj they come. Yeah, sure he plays hard. Sure he plays trance. Sure he plays hard trance or whatever you want to call it but by no means is he a good dj.

I'll argue that one to that day I die. I can't stand GA at all...

I've heard him before he played trance when he was resident dj at KGB in south beach. Way before Shadow Lounge even opened. Remember his track 'set u free'?

Picotto and him play very similar styles.

I knew I would get slated for voicing my displeasures but hey, to each his own. What I call quality might be boring as hell to you. That's fine. To know the good, you have to have heard the bad and that's what I heard last night.

cwm36.gif

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Sorry twilogoddess but Geaorge Acosta is the cheesiest dj they come. Yeah, sure he plays hard. Sure he plays trance. Sure he plays hard trance or whatever you want to call it but by no means is he a good dj.

I'll argue that one to that day I die. I can't stand GA at all...

I've heard him before he played trance when he was resident dj at KGB in

south beach. Way before Shadow Lounge even opened. Remember his track 'set u free'?

Picotto and him play very similar styles.

I knew I would get slated for voicing my displeasures but hey, to each his own. What I call quality might be boring as hell to you. That's fine. To know the good, you have to have heard the bad and that's what I heard last night.

cwm36.gif

i wasn't coming down on you for your opinion at all. i agree that to each their own. i just happen to be one of the people who can go out and enjoy hard tracks w/ a high bpm's like picotto, and then go and listen to lil louis

but obviously your not into that which is cool cuz thats your choice. its just that i try and look at different dj's by different criteria

like if i were going to hear some chicago hard house, i wouldnt' look for the same kind of journey as i would for deep house. One's more drawn out, the other more abrupt.

bottom line is everyone should just stick to what they like most. if it were up to me i'd have a little of everything in a night. my ideal club night, on a marathon type of night would span the genre's of house, deep house, tech house, and profressive all the way to a lil jungle, chicago hard, trance and breaks

ahhh one can only dream though

------------------

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

How could u expect HARD HOUSE to take U on a journey??? Only trance can do that....

u sure about that...

------------------

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by msoprano13:

WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT THE JOURNEY, WHEN I GO CLUBBING I WANNA BE STOMPING MY FEET INTO THE GROUND AND JUST HERE OFF THE WALL BASS DROPS AND HIGH SPEED BUILDUPS, IF I WANNA GO ON A JOURNEY ILL GET IN MY CAR AND DRIVE UNTL I GET LOST, HIGH BPMS AND INTENSE BASS IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT

LMFAO

cwm2.gif

I totally agree with u.

------------------

aim: amafrk1

amafrk1@yahoo.com

Originally posted by az-tec:

Yo I wish I could tell what I thought about Picotto, but after about 30 minutes of his set I was sitting on the speaker doin nothing but enjoying the music and out of no where a bouncer asks me to leave.

I was so pissed I had been waiting a year tpo see Picotto. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wel I still ended up having a great night.....but Im kinda pissed that I only saw Mauro for about 30 minutes.

-Andy

See Andy......that's what you get for not getting your ass out on the floor and acting like a lunatic.......he he.....lol......I'm still jealous.

Mikey

------------------

"If there are two of us, I will gladly bite it in half....."

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

How could u expect HARD HOUSE to take U on a journey??? Only trance can do that....

Melodic trance is old news... only trance?? sorry, but there is no ride like a dt ride...and in house land... And how does one dance at 150bpm anyway?? without drugs??? I just think thats a bold statement... trance can be a ride, and many other genres..

------------------

House This! :) www.djadamf.com djadamf@aol.com

Originally posted by housemusic4evr:

Melodic trance is old news... only trance?? sorry, but there is no ride like a dt ride...and in house land... And how does one dance at 150bpm anyway?? without drugs??? I just think thats a bold statement... trance can be a ride, and many other genres..

i agree that trance isn't the only journey but thats it

i still like trance along with so much more. i'm not gonna drop it when i like it, just b/c its not "in". thats ridiculous

and how do i dance at 150 bpm's w/o drugs?

very well

-Rob

------------------

hmr3.gif

OK...I'm not going to comment on this House vs Trance or 140bps vs journey crap...I just want to say that I thought Picotto was excellent...I was on the dance floor for his entire set and had a blast...

I would like to give mad props to Diego(Nolimit) who hooked me and my lady up when we got there...I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Picotto as much as I did...I also enjoyed getting down to Vath with you on Fri. night...He totally suprised me with an incredible set that almost grounded me on Sat. night, but there was no way that I was going to miss Picotto's first US appearance...

To all of you that didn't make it to Twilo this weekend..."You missed out!"...it was by far the best weekend at Twilo in a while...great DJs back to back nights without the S&D or PVD crowds that make Twilo blow...Hopefully I will see most of you next weekend at Cream for the big birthday bash...Peace

Steve cwm29.gifcwm29.gifcwm29.gif

------------------

"Up all night...sleep all day."

AIM - E123NYC

IntroLogoM.jpg

hey astro,

I totally agree with you on the Jr comment. I was expecting to exit stage right when Jr. came on (I dunno maybe its instinctive). But Jr. kept me going till around 7 I think (when I left)...He was playing tracks that I have only heard b4 @ Vinyl...I was taken aback a bit...

~*Jam*~

------------------

Email: ynicholas@aol.com

AIM: ynicholas

Originally posted by housemusic4evr:

MABYE U... need drugs to dance fast but I don't. House is all buildups and kickin bass lines...that doesnt' take me on a journey.

pvd does!