Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hotel?!?

fcukchris

Big question I ask is what do you plan on doing around town, namely, what clubs and bars are you thinking of hitting up?

Not knowing what you want, I'll tell you my preferences.

If I'm dropping extra cash or if I'm traveling with a lady, I prefer THEhotel at Mandalay. It's expensive but not quite on the level of the priciest joints in town, and I think you get much more than what you pay for. One of those places where every little touch is outstanding. The staff is exceptional from desk to concierge to housekeeping to valet, and the line for cabs is always small to nonexistent.

If you're on a mid-range budget then I think Flamingo can't be beat for the balance of price, quality and location. Having Pure, Tao, Jet, Tangerine, Tryst, Drai's and Empire (not to mention the dozens and dozens of bars/lounges) within a short walk is killer convenience, especially if you're hopping. Nice bonus of the Flamingo is that you can get from your room down to the Strip in half the time (or less) than any other neighboring joint.

I don't mind the expense of cabs, I just can't stand most of the taxi lines in town, so Center Strip is where I stay the most often. Would rather walk 20 minutes than wait for a cab that same amount of time... and I've met a hell of a lot more people by walking around than I have waiting at a cab stand.

I do stay at MGM Grand about 3-4 times a year, but only when they offer to comp me in advance (I play just enough blackjack during non-clubbing hours). Huge place, fun place, but if you're putting out the cash, for the same rates you can be better located on center strip, or you can pay 15% and stay at THEhotel. Grand is nice, but THEhotel is much, much nicer.

Super-cheap I can't say, but I will tell you that most of the people I know that try to go the extreme budget route wind up spending just as much money because of the extra cab fares. Not to mention many of the cheaper hotels have very, very poor cab service (read: wait 30 minutes for a taxi to show up).

Picking a hotel is always an interesting ... gamble. Because rates at certain hotels can fluctuate from $69 to $300 for standard rooms depending on when you are staying there.

Mid Range - Ballys.

Much better than Flamingo. 2nd Largest standard rooms on the strip, 2nd only to the Hotel. Amazing rooms for amazing prices

Mid to High Range - Hard Rock

Great promoted rates here and there push this into the next slot. The vibe is unmatched if you are looking for that.

High Range - Wynn

Ask any girl that goes to Vegas 1/2 or more dozen times per year, one of those trips she will stay at the Wynn. Yes expensive, but people that stay there sware by it. Also consider - Bellagio.

Bally's does have bigger rooms (although in truth the difference isn't that massive) but the (slightly) higher prices, distance from your room to the Strip and fairly weak pool drive me to other options.

No doubt Hard Rock is a fun place during pool season, but weekend/convention prices are ridiculous given the size/quality of the rooms. That said, if you get on their mailing list you can get alerted to some really sweet deals for Sunday nights, which makes for a killer stay if you like the Rehab-BE-Rainbow combo. :)

Agree on the Wynn, it's pure class.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was that if you want to be center-strip and spend a bit more than the Bally's/Flamingo range but still be less than Bellagio/Wynn/Venetian, I'd strongly recommend staying at Paris.

The strange thing with Vegas hotel bookings is that you can take three hotels of close by varying quality and prices, that are each about $30 more than the other ...

... and then for some unexplainable reason on one weekend one will be exponentially higher than the other even though both are the same owners and neither has a convention or arena space in its facility ....

... and then quite often one will be about $50 higher than the other and than about 72 hours before arrival their prices flip flop.

Bottom line - dont assume the price you see today is the normal price. It can and will change either for the better or the worse closer to arrival.

Mid Range - Ballys. Much better than Flamingo. 2nd Largest standard rooms on the strip, 2nd only to the Hotel. Amazing rooms for amazing prices

Bally's rooms are approximately 450 sq ft, which doesn't even put them close to the second biggest rooms on the Strip. The largest are THEhotel, followed by the Venetian, Wynn, Bellagio, (in that order) and on and on....

You'd figure someone who stakes their reputation on this board on being "in the know" would do a little research before making a claim that a hotel like Bally's has the second largest rooms on the Strip. Come on now.

As it stated, the comment (based upon over a hand full of stays at Ballys personally and among friends) was about Mid Range priced hotels and for Ballys they do regularly give for a standard price rooms substantially bigger than published 450 square feet dimension.

If you look at the Hard Rock website for hotel rates over March 16-20, they're listing rates of $999 per night from Thu-Sat... and that's for the bottom-line, "mountain view" room. Most likely an error but quite funny nonetheless.

(PS seems seriously male heavy here...but I'm game...)

having been to Vegas many times, have stayed at Sahara (hey, did that whole trip for $500 total!!!lol), Excalibur, MGM, Bally's & Mirage. For me, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Bally's is a decent room, a decent location, and if you request the front tower, actually a very short trip from the room elevators to the front door.

I LOVE the Mirage...lush interior, great pool/poolside bar, LOCATION, and one of my fav places to gamble.

Am headed in June. Mirage, Bellagio & Venetian are all around $200/night. Treasure Island is $160...recommendations? I like nice places...but not snobbery.(In Pebble Beach stayed at Spanish Inn which was SO nice, but not snobby...Pebble Beach resort was not as comfortable an atmsophere)

Any opinions from the board?

K