Clubplanet Nightlife Community

PVD Last night

PVD was my favorite DJ for years and years. The last two times I saw him, I really hated it. I think he lost his touch.

I know there will be some people here that will say I don’t know what I am talking about, and that PVD was amazing last night. But to my opinion, he really sucked. He hardly spins any Trance anymore. It’s just hard house, and sounds terrible. I know he is probably trying to evolve, but in this case, he is evolving the wrong way.

In the middle of the set, the music got shut down because of some technical difficulty and he just stood there helpless. I think that his music was so bad, that the decks decided to shut down on him. He didn’t get the message, and got back on after about 5 minutes, and continued with his repetitive boring beats.

I will not even begin to describe the crowd that showed up to this party. It’s really sad. There was a group of Asians next to me. One of them was passing out, and instead of taking him outside, his friends were all hugging him and forcing him to stand up. You could see he was not in good shape, and I really felt bad for him. What’s up with these drug infested people?

On another note, the venue was done very well, and the sound system rocked. The place is really organized. Coat check was great. Thmbs up to Made Event on this production.

I will not even begin to describe the crowd that showed up to this party. It’s really sad. There was a group of Asians next to me. One of them was passing out, and instead of taking him outside, his friends were all hugging him and forcing him to stand up. You could see he was not in good shape, and I really felt bad for him. What’s up with these drug infested people?

Join the club man. I am beginning to grow weary of them. I don't drug everytime I go out, but when I do, it's usually those mangled asians that end up bugging me out. It's not the americanized ones, its the off the boats that do that type of shit.

Join the club man. I am beginning to grow weary of them. I don't drug everytime I go out, but when I do, it's usually those mangled asians that end up bugging me out. It's not the americanized ones, its the off the boats that do that type of shit.

Yeh, You are right, and I should make that clarification. It's not all asians (of course) It is ones off the boats. They think that they found America, but they don't knwo America is not all about drugs. It really makes me sad what the scene has turned into.

paulmichael600.gif

No matter what Paul spins, he's an amaizng man that has changed the scene and the world he lives in dramatically. Sure you can complain about him not playing trance anymore but personally I'm grateful I didn't hear the same trance stuff he's been playing for years. It's about time he moves on. I was pleasently surprised that I didn't hear the same stuff that he's been putting out for a decade. It was a breathe of freash air almost. If you don't like the "change" he is doing now, you should have been around for the change when he started playing trance.

My original posting about it: http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?t=299479

No matter what Paul spins, he's an amaizng man that has changed the scene and the world he lives in dramatically. Sure you can complain about him not playing trance anymore but personally I'm grateful I didn't hear the same trance stuff he's been playing for years. It's about time he moves on. I was pleasently surprised that I didn't hear the same stuff that he's been putting out for a decade. It was a breathe of freash air almost. If you don't like the "change" he is doing now, you should have been around for the change when he started playing trance.

My original posting about it: http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?t=299479

I am not complaining about Paul, I am just disappointed. I began my post by saying that he has been my favorite DJ for many years. I also met him in person many times, and supported him as he progressed through the years. Of course he is an amazing person. He is very down to earth, and very humble. He did changed the scene alot and made it better. But this has nothing to do with what I was saying. No need to get all defensive about it. You are obviously in love with the guy, so I did not mean to hurt your feelings. I just sated my opinion regarding the music, and not regarding Paul.

As far as not playing Trance anymore, he claims to be a Trance DJ, so why shouldn't we expect him to play Trance??? I am not asking to hear the same stuff again and again. There is lots of room to evolve within Trance. Trance music has lots of melodies and is very emotional. Paul is now spinning hard house that is dark and repetitive. I am not the trend-setter in anyway. I am just disappointed that as far as I am concerned, (just my opinion) my favorite DJ is “loosing his touch”.

I read your original post before I wrote mine.

I was kind of disappointed that after the fuse blew, he didn't just say fuck it to whatever he was going for with that set. He had a chance to make the technical difficulties work out for him by banging it out for the last 3 hours but kind of fell flat imo. What was up with that weird, super slow housey stuff he was playing at like 4-4:30? It was good and I liked it but not at 4am....

I dont know why half of you jackass even both to go out to parties anymore. Some of you are NEVER satisfied... stay home next time... please. You sound like whiny little children.

Every musician on the planet plays thier biggest hits when they perform live... why the hell wouldnt they.

Maybe next time you should all get together and write the DJ a letter this way they can 100% cater to your retarded special needs...R.D

I am not complaining about Paul, I am just disappointed. I began my post by saying that he has been my favorite DJ for many years. I also met him in person many times, and supported him as he progressed through the years. Of course he is an amazing person. He is very down to earth, and very humble. He did changed the scene alot and made it better. But this has nothing to do with what I was saying. No need to get all defensive about it. You are obviously in love with the guy, so I did not mean to hurt your feelings. I just sated my opinion regarding the music, and not regarding Paul.

As far as not playing Trance anymore, he claims to be a Trance DJ, so why shouldn't we expect him to play Trance??? I am not asking to hear the same stuff again and again. There is lots of room to evolve within Trance. Trance music has lots of melodies and is very emotional. Paul is now spinning hard house that is dark and repetitive. I am not the trend-setter in anyway. I am just disappointed that as far as I am concerned, (just my opinion) my favorite DJ is “loosing his touchâ€.

I read your original post before I wrote mine.

Hey - I wasn't trying to jump on ya. And yes I LOVE Paul. Paul instantly became my favorite DJ when I first heard him spin in the US in '93. However by '95 I got out the scene and was sick of the "trance" sound and was over what he was playing (don't get me wrong - I wasn't over him per se, just the scene in general). However, I'm definitely not trying to fault you for what you like. We all can't like the same thing - if we did we'd all be a big fat bore. It's just I got to talk to him last night after not seeing him for years and years. I wasn't even sure he'd remember who I was since he has legions of fans. But he's so sincere and nice without a shred of attitude that he picked up our friendship right where we left it off. And don't get me wrong about the "love" thing. I love many of my friends the same way. I don't have a crush on the guy - I just happen to love people who love music like I do and usually people who love it so much are driven to spin it. Personally, I'd just rather dance.

One thing about the crowd - why in the hell are pacifiers and glow-sticks around. I've been out of this scene for 10 years and the shite was tired when it first started. Why do people insist on doing that crap. God knows the only good thing about good xtc not being around is that i don't have to deal with smelling vics inhalers all night long.

Did anyone see PVD at SF on a friday night about 5 or 6 years ago?? I never heard such a sick set and see a club be so united by a dj before...he played grimey new york house tracks too not that euro trance(that i hate) and when the lights came around 8 or 9 am on the whole club (still packed) was in shock...we were all looking at each other like wtf just happened? being a jp fan i was like this guy just ripped SF a new asshole and i said to myself that's "fucked up" when another dj comes and kills it in your house! was anyone there that night?

I dont know why half of you jackass even both to go out to parties anymore. Some of you are NEVER satisfied... stay home next time... please. You sound like whiny little children.

Every musician on the planet plays thier biggest hits when they perform live... why the hell wouldnt they.

Maybe next time you should all get together and write the DJ a letter this way they can 100% cater to your retarded special needs...R.D

I never said this on the board before, but you are an ass-hole, and a complete retard.

I go to parties because I love it. It’s my passion. I have been going to parties for ten years now, and I still enjoy it, and love the music.

I never really complain about a DJ. I just state my opinion, which is exactly what I did here. As I said, PVD was my favorite DJ. However, in the past two parties he didn't spin the same. I know his style extremely well. I heard him spin more then I can remember in NY, and around the world. I haven’t missed any of his NY gigs since his Twilo days.

I said what I said because I love his music, and I love his as a DJ, and in the past two parties, he disappointed the shit out of me.

And for those who get upset about people like me those sometimes state our opinion and “whine†about a bad set, I will the following:

Some people out there can't even hear the music, and don't really care for it. They just take lots of drugs, and bounce around to any kind of beat. Sorry, but I can't do that.

Did anyone see PVD at SF on a friday night about 5 or 6 years ago?? I never heard such a sick set and see a club be so united by a dj before...he played grimey new york house tracks too not that euro trance(that i hate) and when the lights came around 8 or 9 am on the whole club (still packed) was in shock...we were all looking at each other like wtf just happened? being a jp fan i was like this guy just ripped SF a new asshole and i said to myself that's "fucked up" when another dj comes and kills it in your house! was anyone there that night?

I actually remember that party.

I wasn't impressed with pvd last nite, Im no edm afficionado, I can't trainspot or categorize styles but I really thought his set last nite was uninspired. There just wasn't any creativity to it, it was a little bit better towards the end when I think he started messing around with the effects machine but overall it didnt move me.

I caught one of his last sets at Twilo, that night was insane. He was a monster behind the decks, and it wasnt some up in the clouds trance stuff, it was hard, it was creative and it had soul. I think the story goes that someone on the twilo message board put up a post as a plea to pvd to play to NY the way he plays in Europe, saying that we deserve to hear him at his best. According to the story that thread made it all the way to pvd's publicist and then to the man himself. He walked into Twilo that night like a man on a mission, got behind the decks put his head down and didnt look up for 8 hours and blew the roof off that club. Last track he played was for an angel, then he kissed the record and threw it into the crowd. I guess he just had an off nite last nite, when you do this every weekend you can't put 100% into everything.

onto the crowd....

wow. I used to go to these parties because I thought it was the coolest group of people you can find in nyc, diverse, friendly, intelligent. What the hell happened? Seems like the entire club was cracked out asians and guidos. Plus NOONE CAN DANCE seriously like what the hell is up with that? I used to see some of the sickest dancers at these parties. Now these fob asians get drugged out of their mind at 10pm and hug each other while shaking side to side like their having a group seizure for 6 hours. Im really not tryin to stereotype, Im asian (indian), just seeing that kinda crap is really depressing cause this scene used to represent something. The overall positive vibe was what I came for, more than the music or the drugs.

I was kind of disappointed that after the fuse blew, he didn't just say fuck it to whatever he was going for with that set. He had a chance to make the technical difficulties work out for him by banging it out for the last 3 hours but kind of fell flat imo. What was up with that weird, super slow housey stuff he was playing at like 4-4:30? It was good and I liked it but not at 4am....

I am so with you on the what the fuck was going on between 4-4:30? I was like is he ending or trying to drive people away? I think that is exactly what he was doing. 4am, the bar was closed and he chilled i think to get the wanna bee's to go home cause anyone who knows Paul, knows he never ends before 6, 7am and would never close out the night that slow and mellow. I think he was just trying to clear out the wanna bee's so his real fans could bang it out with him in the end and oh my god, he so came back with a fucking vengence. Awesome fucking last hour and half. Bangin bangin bangin:)

PVD was my favorite DJ for years and years. The last two times I saw him, I really hated it. I think he lost his touch.

I know there will be some people here that will say I don’t know what I am talking about, and that PVD was amazing last night. But to my opinion, he really sucked. He hardly spins any Trance anymore. It’s just hard house, and sounds terrible. I know he is probably trying to evolve, but in this case, he is evolving the wrong way.

In the middle of the set, the music got shut down because of some technical difficulty and he just stood there helpless. I think that his music was so bad, that the decks decided to shut down on him. He didn’t get the message, and got back on after about 5 minutes, and continued with his repetitive boring beats.

On another note, the venue was done very well, and the sound system rocked. The place is really organized. Coat check was great. Thmbs up to Made Event on this production.

WEll maybe he likes diff styles now that u dont like that def dont mean he sux, i heard him once and the dude was amazing. he def doesn't play the style i like and i would not go hear him again (who knows) but he's a great dj

sorry bro but no way in hell is JP on the same level as PVD...PVD will rip any dj when ever he wants...last night was blahh in my mind he had no heart in his set def wasnt up to par.seemed like he was just putting anythign together and playing it..Ive followed pvd since 98 and the guy puts on a show better than anyone but last night he just didnt have it...highlight of the night was when i got to pass a note to him to play TELL ME WHY (vandit mix) hasnt played that in NY since SF..When that shit came on i went nuts best track all night besides vendetta and playground..when he puts his mind and soul to it u wont hear a anything better then what he plays....

sorry bro but no way in hell is JP on the same level as PVD...PVD will rip any dj when ever he wants...last night was blahh in my mind he had no heart in his set def wasnt up to par.seemed like he was just putting anythign together and playing it..Ive followed pvd since 98 and the guy puts on a show better than anyone but last night he just didnt have it...highlight of the night was when i got to pass a note to him to play TELL ME WHY (vandit mix) hasnt played that in NY since SF..When that shit came on i went nuts best track all night besides vendetta and playground..when he puts his mind and soul to it u wont hear a anything better then what he plays....

I agree completely.

Paul was not himself on Saturday night. Everyone I spoke to that night agreed with this.

I hope to comes back with a different spirit soon, and really hope this is not the "New PVD"