Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who Sucks More - Jersey DJs or the Jersey Crowd?

Just curious... all this hoopla about all these cool UK, Miami, NYC etc djs has me wondering... Does Jersey even support their own fuckin DJs anymore? For real... what Jersey DJs are holdin' down headlining slots and drawin' motherfuckin peoples to the dance floor?

Anyone have any ideas?

All I ever see our "scene" (i use the term loosely) support are rock stars and pimps from outside NJ... (and yes, I do know there are many talenetd people outside of Jersey)

BUT -

Where's the love? Do Jersey DJs really suck that bad or is the Jersey crowd so far up our own asses all we can see is what people tell us to see?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious... all this hoopla about all these cool UK, Miami, NYC etc djs has me wondering... Does Jersey even support their own fuckin DJs anymore? For real... what Jersey DJs are holdin' down headlining slots and drawin' motherfuckin peoples to the dance floor?

Anyone have any ideas?

All I ever see our "scene" (i use the term loosely) support are rock stars and pimps from outside NJ... (and yes, I do know there are many talenetd people outside of Jersey)

BUT -

Where's the love? Do Jersey DJs really suck that bad or is the Jersey crowd so far up our own asses all we can see is what people tell us to see?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Shane,

I think we all know the answer to that question, Everybody has been brainwashed into beleaving that if a DJ doesn't have a name they are not worthy of checking out. Why do you think that so many DJ's have conformed to playing hip hop and radio music. You can get the same entertainment from an Ipod as you do from most working DJ's in this state. But the rest of the EDM DJ's get no love in this state unless their name is JP or Boris neither of which are from Jersey. I can only think of one Jersey DJ that gets any support from Jersey people and that is Richie Santana and if I am correct he is from Staten Island.

The point is this, if people in this state actually supported EDM it wouldn't matter who the DJ is, they would come out and support the music and maybe find a new DJ to enjoy.

my top djs will be denny tsettos and richie santana. they have been my top djs for years and always will be. i have never been to a club with so much energy like i have been to when these guys lay it down. i cant fuckin wait till memorial day weekend when they come down to AC. which is 10 min from me. rip it up

Jack Z

The point is this, if people in this state actually supported EDM it wouldn't matter who the DJ is, they would come out and support the music and maybe find a new DJ to enjoy.

Ya Know... That's a great point dude... Seriously, if it was really about the music... it wouldn't matter what name was on the box cause inside, the mix is still dumpin :) good point dave :) but, that would mean a scene, right?

There is help

I am a no name DJ try me I have what u want .

Check it out what I do ,I play House with my own style also Video.

Don't pay attention for the add in the video, try concentrate on the content.

Its a 36 minutes long mix in Quick Time

http://homepage.mac.com/dieseljoe/iMovieTheater30.html

Dieseljoe

very cool promo joe :) a bit much on some fx and shit, but very cool dude... this is the creative charge we need to see invested into our local talent... it's more then spinning records... it's about the music that represents us and the life we live in new jersey... not the life of those in Europe or Miami, etc...

it's been soooo long since i can remember a "NJ sound" - i think last i can recall was some crazy deep deep house shit from like a decade ago? or some sort of garage? i wish i can remember some of those tunes right now, but i believe we did have a certain house sound way back when

i wonder if it's possible to create a sound for jersey that truly represents a scene and not a commodity...

my top djs will be denny tsettos and richie santana. they have been my top djs for years and always will be. i have never been to a club with so much energy like i have been to when these guys lay it down. i cant fuckin wait till memorial day weekend when they come down to AC. which is 10 min from me. rip it up

Jack Z

denny is true talent... although, he may not be so fickle to trends and possibly exploring new ground - denny is a true staple to NJ dance music... i truly cannot think of any other DJ in the past 10 years that pops in my head when someone mentions NJ dance music/clubs/bars...

Jack Z

ur top dj is tony

My question or follow up is on what is stated above. Most DJ's here in NJ just play music likek an ipod, not that it is bad they play what people want to hear. I would like to see more freestyle being done. Look at Riddler or Riz for example, they will put on a piece of music and chop it up live. I am not talking about using a pioneer 500EFX becuase anyone can do that. I wouldnt mind seeing more live mixes being done as those 2 above do.

Also I do not see many DJ producers anymore as well. It seems that everyone says they can DJ and the market is flooded with it and until people stop saying they can and leave it to those that know what there doing do it.

Take a look at who Djais has DJ'ing there crowd and then let me know anyone else that can fit into there mix of DJ's. As of right now I do not know any, granted the people that do DJ there are for a certain group of people.

Also I do not see many DJ producers anymore as well. It seems that everyone says they can DJ and the market is flooded with it and until people stop saying they can and leave it to those that know what there doing do it.

good point... it's tough to develop a scene with no acts to perform or a lack of new fresh music from those within the area... maybe the Jersey DJ market wouldn't be so flooded DJs if there was a demand for more original music and not what KTU plays...

if the crowd was interested in hearing new music then this could possibly position DJs to learn something new like making their own music for the floor... hey, now that i think about it - don't most "successful" djs remix and or create their own music? it adds something original that you can't from other djs... but, the questoin then becomes - is jersey in search of new and exciting or familiar and safe?

Noone has an open mind these days. The Jersey Crowd and the Promoters sooo narrow minded its unreal. Alot of great DJs who are worthy of a prime time slot ain't getting it because promoters rather book a person who can bring in a large crowd of their friends

Noone has an open mind these days. The Jersey Crowd and the Promoters sooo narrow minded its unreal. Alot of great DJs who are worthy of a prime time slot ain't getting it because promoters rather book a person who can bring in a large crowd of their friends

agreed!

wow, it must be a holiday since I agree with hypey....

Coming from a DJ that has been through this shit for many many years, I couldn't have said it better myself. If the people actually took a chance on other DJ's in this state they might actually find that they like that DJ and would be willing to hear him again. It's a damn shame that I was able to play two different parties during the Conference in Miami and rocked both crowds and was overwelmed with support from people and promoters that had no idea who I was, but said that I was one of the best DJ's they had heard in along time.

Yet I play in my own state and get no support from the promoters cause I just might be as good as I say I am.

Another example is one of my best friends and producer Todd Gardner from Subliminal & Certified Records. He is one of the biggest DJ's in Italy and elsewere overseas but has a hard time getting gigs in his own state of Jersey.

There are only a few clubs that actually promote House music here but none of them want to take a chance with other DJ's that don't have the "Jersey" following. And it's not like they won't pack the venue on that night to begin with.

I am just rambleing on about the enevitable that any Jersey DJ knows already.

So I am going to shut up now............

Coming from a DJ that has been through this shit for many many years, I couldn't have said it better myself. If the people actually took a chance on other DJ's in this state they might actually find that they like that DJ and would be willing to hear him again. It's a damn shame that I was able to play two different parties during the Conference in Miami and rocked both crowds and was overwelmed with support from people and promoters that had no idea who I was, but said that I was one of the best DJ's they had heard in along time.

Yet I play in my own state and get no support from the promoters cause I just might be as good as I say I am.

Another example is one of my best friends and producer Todd Gardner from Subliminal & Certified Records. He is one of the biggest DJ's in Italy and elsewere overseas but has a hard time getting gigs in his own state of Jersey.

There are only a few clubs that actually promote House music here but none of them want to take a chance with other DJ's that don't have the "Jersey" following. And it's not like they won't pack the venue on that night to begin with.

I am just rambleing on about the enevitable that any Jersey DJ knows already.

So I am going to shut up now............

I would much rather play in italy that my own state...

peace

Mendez

very cool promo joe :) a bit much on some fx and shit, but very cool dude... this is the creative charge we need to see invested into our local talent... it's more then spinning records... it's about the music that represents us and the life we live in new jersey... not the life of those in Europe or Miami, etc...

it's been soooo long since i can remember a "NJ sound" - i think last i can recall was some crazy deep deep house shit from like a decade ago? or some sort of garage? i wish i can remember some of those tunes right now, but i believe we did have a certain house sound way back when

i wonder if it's possible to create a sound for jersey that truly represents a scene and not a commodity...

i remember a party a long time ago that was all about the NJ house scene. the NJ underground with there structure parties. even though i only been to a few of those parties. but i did see that it was all about the music and the love for it all. i had some good ass times then. glen garcia, mark bee and jahred ripped it up then.

Z