Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FRANKIE KNUCKLES talks about SOUNDFACTORY, SOUNDFACTORY BAR

http://fkalways.com/sfb.htm

Sound Factory Bar

I remember when I got the call about playing at the original 'SOUND FACTORY' on West 27th st. I had been hanging out here every Saturday night since the place had first opened in 1989/90. I was playing at 'THE WORLD', on the Lower Eastside every Friday night.. Actually, Frank Roccio and 'The World' was responsible for bringing me back to NYC. And playing only on Friday nights made it possible for me to hang on Saturdays.

So, as always i'd take my disco-nap around midnight, get up about 5am and head over to 'SOUND FACTORY'. I could always set my watch by what Junior was playing. 'TIME MARCHES ON' by The Jungle Onez would be playing when i'd walk thru the doors at or around 6:30am. I'd be greeted by the usual suspects/new friends, (Christina Visca, her brother, Adolpho, Kevin Williams). Phil Smith and be came friends and would always hang back and kiki at everything going throughout the party. And as per usual, Phil would grab me and Kevin Williams and ask us to come help him with the VIP area. Each week the VIP area was moved to a different locale. I thought it was a bit strange but, a clever idea.

Anyhoo, I was also in production on my first album, 'BEYOND THE MIX' for Virgin Records. I was working with an all star choir on the final track, 'SOON I WILL BE DONE' when I got the call from Phil Smith that Junior had walked out. He asked me if I were available to come and play that Saturday night. Mind you, this was Thursday afternoon. Excited, I didn't know what to think. Of course I said yes but, immediately got back to work with the choir. I just didn't want to lose focus on what was paramount at the moment.

On my first available break I immediately ran to the Penthouse Studio (at QUAD Recording) where David Morales was working on some project (I can't remember which one). We were living in 'Quad' during these days. I told him I had just got the call from Phil about playing 'SOUND FACTORY' because Junior had walked out. "What should I do", I asked him? Without hesitation David said, "You have to do it". 'SOUND FACTORY' is too important a club for you to pass up. Plus, with Morales at RED ZONE and me at 'SOUND FACTORY' it would be the ultimate feather in the cap of DEFMIX. But what about Junior? What about how he would feel about it? I was concerned about these things but didn't let it influence my decision.

One of the things most of us DJs look for and depend on when we do residencies at clubs are the "regulars". The folks that you can always count on being there, even in the worse and sometimes most dire circumstances.

It was the proper room to showcase what I was doing musically. And with the new album coming out soon, here was the perfect opportunity to breathe a whole new scenario into the New York Club scene. and hopefully find my place at home in New York.

So, going into this new residency and thinking about opening night, I knew I needed a secret weapon. One that would cause a stir, make tongues wag, get everybody talking, even running to the record store the next day asking what it was and if they can get it? God! I miss that about this business. Everything being so fragmented and everyone in this end of the business being so completely independent of one another. The comaraderie is gone. It just something else nostalgic about this business that has gone the way with vinyl. But I won't digress.

The first tracks I thought to try out was 'THE WHISTLE SONG' and 'RAIN FALLS'. I didn't have much confidence going in that these tracks would make any kind of impact but I also thought, this maybe my only opportunity to prove myself so I better make the most of. Never being a technically perfect mixer, my theory was if I presented great music perhaps I could save my ass. Well, much to my surprise both tracks were incredible hits. Instantaneously the room took to both. Especially 'THE WHISTLE SONG'. It had become 'Sound Factory's' first official anthem.

Everyone wanted it. Folks hounded me for it on a regular basis. DJs tried to boot-leg it. And for 7 months the only place you could hear it was at 'SOUND FACTORY'. So, many people came and discovered 'SF' just for the music alone. As scary as it was, it was also very exciting. I was the "new kid on the block".

When the single and the album finally released that summer of 1992 my life and that club, 'SOUND FACTORY' were linked forever. And with the summer olympics going on, 'THE WHISTLE SONG' was used for the Lipton Ice Tea commercial. Pushing everything over the top. I had no idea how much of an impact this song had on the public by and large. It was everywhere. All over the radio, playing from everyone's car stereo rolling down the street.

My residency at 'SF' also gave way to legendary hits like; 'THE PRESSURE', 'I'LL BE YOUR FRIEND' and 'WHERE LOVE LIVES'. Ultimately putting 'SF' on the international map for being the best club in New York City since the closing of PARADISE GARAGE.

So, later in the fall while I was enjoying the success of my first two singles, 'THE WHISLE SONG' and 'IT'S HARD SOMETIME' and a string of hit remixes ('THE PRESSURE', 'HANGIN' ON A STRING', NOTGONNACHANGE, yada,yada,yada), changes were coming about in my peripherie at the club. Apparently Junior wanted his room back. I never knew why he left. I wasn't privy to that information. But I did hear the rumours going around that I had taken his job, that he ALLEGEDLY was spreading. Of course this really made no sense to me considering, he owned part of the club so, how can I take his job. But nonetheless he wanted back in. So I was out. But not completely.

Phil (Smith) already had plans to launch a neighbourhood dance bar right smack in the heart of Chelsea and offered it to me. That club was 'SFB' (Sound Factory Bar). I don't think this was to be the official name of the club but, it made sense to everyone all around. It was to be the perfect situation for me. He and Steve Dash custom designed a sound system that catered to the music I played. Brilliant! Clean! Perhaps the best sound system in the city next to 'SOUND FACTORY'. It was my BABY. The transition was a breeze. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. Two weeks after leaving 'SF', SOUND FACTORY BAR was launched.

I remember it being one of the coldest nights that winter. It was January. Our door-whore, Darryl Elmore was trying to serve a STUDIO 54 feeling (perhaps per Phil's instructions). But it was too cold out and we weren't completely ready to open the doors because the bars were still setting up. But I just couldn't see having folks line up in the dense cold and wait to get in. I told them to "get these people in off the street as quick as possible"! The opening was a great success.

Later on 'SFB' would give way to legenday nights like; Wednesdays with Little Louie Vega, Thursdays with Lord G (cafe con leche), me on Friday nights and, David Depino & Danny Krivit on Saturday nights. Morales had played there on many ocassion. So did Satoshi. At one point this club was operating 6 successful nights a week (something that no other bar was doing in NYC at that time).

Sadly, 'SOUND FACTORY BAR' came to close at the end of 1996. Becoming an abandoned child of Phil Smith (whose whole focus was building and launching TWILO at the time), 'SFB' hung in there with the help of it's greatest supporters until there was nothing left for us to do but call it a day.

But it's nice to know that 'SOUND FACTORY BAR' has passed on into history as one of the greatest nightclubs in New York City history. And I am so fortunate to've been a part of that history.

'SOUND FACTORY' moved to midtown. TWILO took over the original space. After playing the first two weeks of TWILO's opening I was offered a post at 'SOUND FACTORY' but just couldn't see myself going backwards. It just didn't feel right. TWILO didn't either. Besides, New York was going thru a change and so was I. So instead of hopping from club to club, bar to bar with hopes of landing something as substantial as 'SFB', I eventually decided to take my act on the road (until times got better).

And here I am. A citizen of the world.

I'd personally like to thank all the people who passed thru those curtains at 'SOUND FACTORY BAR'. The staff and all the bartenders for making that place LEGENDARY! And to Phil Smith & Steve Dash. Thank you for giving my life this history.

amazing read GABE you da MAN!!!!!!i remember going to sfb and sitting up in this tiny box dj booth with frankie knuckles and kyle milan.we sat on egg crates.smoked an L and he just spun while we chilled we were dancing in our eggcreates!!!lolgood times man good times..........

Good, Read Gabe you can see where the "Deep" House crowd seperated from the after hourse scene.

Well its more like the modern after hrs crowd that gets quite messy. Some of the older parites were very much after hrs and werent as messy as they are today, its just a totally new generation. Kinda like old school rap fans and modenr fans, totally different worlds.

"I could always set my watch by what Junior was playing. 'TIME MARCHES ON' by The Jungle Onez would be playing when i'd walk thru the doors at or around 6:30am."

So every SF building always had a DJ playing the same songs every show I guess

• 2 weeks later...
http://fkalways.com/sfb.htm

Sound Factory Bar

I remember when I got the call about playing at the original 'SOUND FACTORY' on West 27th st. I had been hanging out here every Saturday night since the place had first opened in 1989/90. I was playing at 'THE WORLD', on the Lower Eastside every Friday night.. Actually, Frank Roccio and 'The World' was responsible for bringing me back to NYC. And playing only on Friday nights made it possible for me to hang on Saturdays.

So, as always i'd take my disco-nap around midnight, get up about 5am and head over to 'SOUND FACTORY'. I could always set my watch by what Junior was playing. 'TIME MARCHES ON' by The Jungle Onez would be playing when i'd walk thru the doors at or around 6:30am. I'd be greeted by the usual suspects/new friends, (Christina Visca, her brother, Adolpho, Kevin Williams). Phil Smith and be came friends and would always hang back and kiki at everything going throughout the party. And as per usual, Phil would grab me and Kevin Williams and ask us to come help him with the VIP area. Each week the VIP area was moved to a different locale. I thought it was a bit strange but, a clever idea.

Anyhoo, I was also in production on my first album, 'BEYOND THE MIX' for Virgin Records. I was working with an all star choir on the final track, 'SOON I WILL BE DONE' when I got the call from Phil Smith that Junior had walked out. He asked me if I were available to come and play that Saturday night. Mind you, this was Thursday afternoon. Excited, I didn't know what to think. Of course I said yes but, immediately got back to work with the choir. I just didn't want to lose focus on what was paramount at the moment.

On my first available break I immediately ran to the Penthouse Studio (at QUAD Recording) where David Morales was working on some project (I can't remember which one). We were living in 'Quad' during these days. I told him I had just got the call from Phil about playing 'SOUND FACTORY' because Junior had walked out. "What should I do", I asked him? Without hesitation David said, "You have to do it". 'SOUND FACTORY' is too important a club for you to pass up. Plus, with Morales at RED ZONE and me at 'SOUND FACTORY' it would be the ultimate feather in the cap of DEFMIX. But what about Junior? What about how he would feel about it? I was concerned about these things but didn't let it influence my decision.

One of the things most of us DJs look for and depend on when we do residencies at clubs are the "regulars". The folks that you can always count on being there, even in the worse and sometimes most dire circumstances.

It was the proper room to showcase what I was doing musically. And with the new album coming out soon, here was the perfect opportunity to breathe a whole new scenario into the New York Club scene. and hopefully find my place at home in New York.

So, going into this new residency and thinking about opening night, I knew I needed a secret weapon. One that would cause a stir, make tongues wag, get everybody talking, even running to the record store the next day asking what it was and if they can get it? God! I miss that about this business. Everything being so fragmented and everyone in this end of the business being so completely independent of one another. The comaraderie is gone. It just something else nostalgic about this business that has gone the way with vinyl. But I won't digress.

The first tracks I thought to try out was 'THE WHISTLE SONG' and 'RAIN FALLS'. I didn't have much confidence going in that these tracks would make any kind of impact but I also thought, this maybe my only opportunity to prove myself so I better make the most of. Never being a technically perfect mixer, my theory was if I presented great music perhaps I could save my ass. Well, much to my surprise both tracks were incredible hits. Instantaneously the room took to both. Especially 'THE WHISTLE SONG'. It had become 'Sound Factory's' first official anthem.

Everyone wanted it. Folks hounded me for it on a regular basis. DJs tried to boot-leg it. And for 7 months the only place you could hear it was at 'SOUND FACTORY'. So, many people came and discovered 'SF' just for the music alone. As scary as it was, it was also very exciting. I was the "new kid on the block".

When the single and the album finally released that summer of 1992 my life and that club, 'SOUND FACTORY' were linked forever. And with the summer olympics going on, 'THE WHISTLE SONG' was used for the Lipton Ice Tea commercial. Pushing everything over the top. I had no idea how much of an impact this song had on the public by and large. It was everywhere. All over the radio, playing from everyone's car stereo rolling down the street.

My residency at 'SF' also gave way to legendary hits like; 'THE PRESSURE', 'I'LL BE YOUR FRIEND' and 'WHERE LOVE LIVES'. Ultimately putting 'SF' on the international map for being the best club in New York City since the closing of PARADISE GARAGE.

So, later in the fall while I was enjoying the success of my first two singles, 'THE WHISLE SONG' and 'IT'S HARD SOMETIME' and a string of hit remixes ('THE PRESSURE', 'HANGIN' ON A STRING', NOTGONNACHANGE, yada,yada,yada), changes were coming about in my peripherie at the club. Apparently Junior wanted his room back. I never knew why he left. I wasn't privy to that information. But I did hear the rumours going around that I had taken his job, that he ALLEGEDLY was spreading. Of course this really made no sense to me considering, he owned part of the club so, how can I take his job. But nonetheless he wanted back in. So I was out. But not completely.

Phil (Smith) already had plans to launch a neighbourhood dance bar right smack in the heart of Chelsea and offered it to me. That club was 'SFB' (Sound Factory Bar). I don't think this was to be the official name of the club but, it made sense to everyone all around. It was to be the perfect situation for me. He and Steve Dash custom designed a sound system that catered to the music I played. Brilliant! Clean! Perhaps the best sound system in the city next to 'SOUND FACTORY'. It was my BABY. The transition was a breeze. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. Two weeks after leaving 'SF', SOUND FACTORY BAR was launched.

I remember it being one of the coldest nights that winter. It was January. Our door-whore, Darryl Elmore was trying to serve a STUDIO 54 feeling (perhaps per Phil's instructions). But it was too cold out and we weren't completely ready to open the doors because the bars were still setting up. But I just couldn't see having folks line up in the dense cold and wait to get in. I told them to "get these people in off the street as quick as possible"! The opening was a great success.

Later on 'SFB' would give way to legenday nights like; Wednesdays with Little Louie Vega, Thursdays with Lord G (cafe con leche), me on Friday nights and, David Depino & Danny Krivit on Saturday nights. Morales had played there on many ocassion. So did Satoshi. At one point this club was operating 6 successful nights a week (something that no other bar was doing in NYC at that time).

Sadly, 'SOUND FACTORY BAR' came to close at the end of 1996. Becoming an abandoned child of Phil Smith (whose whole focus was building and launching TWILO at the time), 'SFB' hung in there with the help of it's greatest supporters until there was nothing left for us to do but call it a day.

But it's nice to know that 'SOUND FACTORY BAR' has passed on into history as one of the greatest nightclubs in New York City history. And I am so fortunate to've been a part of that history.

'SOUND FACTORY' moved to midtown. TWILO took over the original space. After playing the first two weeks of TWILO's opening I was offered a post at 'SOUND FACTORY' but just couldn't see myself going backwards. It just didn't feel right. TWILO didn't either. Besides, New York was going thru a change and so was I. So instead of hopping from club to club, bar to bar with hopes of landing something as substantial as 'SFB', I eventually decided to take my act on the road (until times got better).

And here I am. A citizen of the world.

I'd personally like to thank all the people who passed thru those curtains at 'SOUND FACTORY BAR'. The staff and all the bartenders for making that place LEGENDARY! And to Phil Smith & Steve Dash. Thank you for giving my life this history.

you are an amazing writer why u post here have no idea no regrets love reading your layout ..ur great..

• 2 months later...