Clubplanet Nightlife Community

This Is Fucked Up. Seriously

Four Charged In Alleged Bias Attack On Singer In Manhattan

June 11, 2006

A fourth man has been arrested in an alleged bias attack on a singer in Manhattan.

Police arrested 18-year-old Gregory Archie Sunday morning.

Investigators say he and three others approached 38-year-old Kevin Aviance at 14th Street and First Avenue early Saturday morning.

They say the group beat Aviance while yelling anti-gay slurs. Aviance suffered head injuries and remains hospitalized in stable condition.

Archie, 20-year-old George Akino, 16-year-old Gerard Johnson, and 20-year-old Sears Jarrell are all charged with assault as a hate crime.

thats messed up. i dont understand why people cant let other people just live their lives. Kevin Aviance wasnt harming anyone.

im surprised he doesnt have other people, like an entourage, with him. Anthony Lamont always has a group of queens with him, they woulda took these mofos out lol.

Its f ing horrible that shit like this still happens in this day and age

Four Charged In Alleged Bias Attack On Singer In Manhattan

June 11, 2006

A fourth man has been arrested in an alleged bias attack on a singer in Manhattan.

Police arrested 18-year-old Gregory Archie Sunday morning.

Investigators say he and three others approached 38-year-old Kevin Aviance at 14th Street and First Avenue early Saturday morning.

They say the group beat Aviance while yelling anti-gay slurs. Aviance suffered head injuries and remains hospitalized in stable condition.

Archie, 20-year-old George Akino, 16-year-old Gerard Johnson, and 20-year-old Sears Jarrell are all charged with assault as a hate crime.

Guest onisakura
who gives a shit

Asshole.

Im actually very surprised that this happened, in the Village no less.

Kevin Aviance is a well known figure in the nyc house scene. anyone who respects it should be upset about this. some people get so freaked out by these performances by these drag queens, like Aviance and Lamont. i think theyre entertaining, esp when someone like Lamont purposely messes with the straight guy in the crowd thats noticeably freaked out. he always picks a juicehead and dances right up on em. the juicehead never knows wut to do lol. id be freaked out too if he came up to me, but i think i give off the impression that it doesnt really bother me. it shouldnt, its just a show.

Kevin is my Sister from The House Of Aviance and my deepest prayers and love go out to her for a quick recovery.this shit puts my stomach in a knot.im glad they got them and are charging them with 1st degree assault (A HATE CRIME).kids nowadays look up to hip hop gansta rappers (THUGS),they have no fear.:(

yeah i wouldda jumped in to help theres too many "tough guys" roaming the streets nowadays.

thanx arg thats a really nice thing of you to say.i dont know why people are soo affraid to help someone in trouble?i would go nuts on those thugs if i saw that,i dont care how big and bad they are.when i read that noone helped even when he was laying in the street with cabs swirving around him to miss him it really broke my heart that people can be soo heartless .

(((kevin)))

same thing happened a few weeks ago on 24th on the west side i believe, don't know how bad the guy got hurt. Kinda weird that anyone is insecure enough to feel they have to beat up whatever they are afraid of.

(((kevin)))

Kinda weird that anyone is insecure enough to feel they have to beat up whatever they are afraid of.

It's lame that it takes (usually) 4 straight guys with weapons (usually) to beat up one homo (and no I didn't read they used bats or pipes or anything this time around). That, to me, is called major fuckin pussy-material but I guess the typical homophobe can't stand the thought they if it was just one on one with some queer then they themselves might be the one that ends up in the ER.

Two Suspects Arraigned in Assault on Singer

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Two young men suspected of brutally beating a recording artist in the East Village while yelling anti-gay slurs at him have been arraigned on assault charges.

Jarell Sears, 20, from Newark, New Jersey and Gerard Johnson, 16, from Manhattan are charged with gang assault and assault as a hate crime in the attack on Kevin Aviance, 38.

The judge set bail for both of the young men at 25 thousand dollars. They face up to 25 years in prison if convicted. Prosecutors say the defendants followed Aviance along First Avenue, calling him derogatory names. The complaint says they threw two garbage bags and a paint can at the singer before surrounding and attacking him. The defendants punched and kicked Aviance in the face and body, breaking his jaw, and bruising his knee head and body.

Sears and Johnson were two of four men arrested and on charges of chasing and jumping Aviance at around 1:30 a.m. on Saturday. The other two, Gregory Archie, 18, from Manhattan and Akino George, 20, from the Bronx, are expected to be arraigned later Tuesday.

Aviance's publicist said the singer could hear passers-by yelling at the attackers to stop. When it was over, a stranger walked him to the hospital.

Aviance was discharged Monday from Manhattan's Beth Israel Medical Center.

I heard a funny remark from someone in the club scene that they're going to wheel Kevin in on his wheelchair at Disko as planned so he can perform for pride month if they have to. It was a total joke but I it would be a riot if Kevin was able to roll on the stage, wheelchair and all, to show that the show will go on no matter what even if it meant him just being on stage.

I think I understand. I hope I would jump in and help but people carry weapons and there's a good chance you'll end up worse then the original victim. It's a sad fact of life that people have to think that way although I know if I saw a hate crime in process on any minority I'd pick up something and go bezerk. If you're going to go beat the living daylights out of someone simply out of hate then it's a case of the Old Testament "Eye For An Eye" since the New Testament's "Love One Another" doesn't exist on their level.