Clubplanet Nightlife Community

yanks to get Ponson....happy hour extended

bxbomb

decent move

big arm for a 5th starter , now if he can only stay away from the Heinekens

and not let him go home to aruba where he ALWAYs gets in trouble

NEW YORK - Sidney Ponson is about to get another chance, this time with the New York Yankees.

Ponson was cut by the St. Louis Cardinals last week and the Yankees, desperate to find a fifth starter, expect to sign the talented-but-troubled pitcher on Friday.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday the deal "made sense, compared to everything else that was available to us."

Once among baseball's more promising pitchers, Ponson's career has been derailed by alcohol problems. Baltimore released him last September, saying his behavior gave them grounds to terminate his contract.

Ponson is set to make his first start for the Yankees on Tuesday night at home against Seattle. The Yankees will pay between $150,000 and $175,000 to sign Ponson for the rest of the season.

The Yankees were three games behind Boston in the AL East at the All-Star break. Ponson would join Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson, Chien-Ming Wang and Jaret Wright in the rotation. Starter Shawn Chacon is still on the roster, too, but there's been speculation the Yankees will soon make a move with him.

Released by Baltimore in the offseason, Ponson signed a $1 million deal with St. Louis. The 29-year-old righty started the season 3-0, but slumped and was 4-4 overall with a 5.24 ERA when the Cardinals designated him for assignment last Friday.

"He's still got a great arm," Cashman said.

Ponson won 17 games in 2003 when he pitched for Baltimore and San Francisco, but has struggled on and off the field since then.

Ponson was convicted last December of driving while impaired and sentenced to five days in jail — his arrest in August marked his third drunk driving offense. The pitcher also spent 11 days in jail in his native Aruba after fighting on a beach.

Cashman said the Yankees believe Ponson is worth the risk because he's made changes to his life. Ponson is expected to fly into New York on Friday.

"It's hard to upgrade your pitching, it really is," Cashman said. "Hopefully, this is something that will work out for us. It's low risk and hopefully we'll get some upside out of this."

Just another overrated and finished pitcher heading to an overrated and finished team. If he can't pitch in the senior circut,what makes you think he can pitch in the A.L. What are they going to give him a cooler of beer in his locker when he starts and in his car for after the game. Go Yanks!!!!

What are they going to give him a cooler of beer in his locker when he starts and in his car for after the game. Go Yanks!!!!

I don't know. What did Boston give David Wells before and after games?

lollerberries, The Yankees are not overrated. Nobody is giving them much credit this year so how can they be overrated? This is the first time they are not favored to make the playoffs in a very long time.

Also, Ponson is "overrated?" wtf are you even talking about? Who the hell even rates him? High or low? We signed him to a prorated portion of the major league minimum salary. WHOA TALK ABOUT BREAKING THE BANK!!SHIFT111

And how is he any worse than Jason Johnson? They have pretty much the same numbers...Shitty ERA, K/BB ratio, WHIP, etc...Only difference is Ponson is younger, has better stuff, and has actually had a couple of decent seasons in the past.

Anyway, they both fucking suck

exactly wtf are you sox fans talkin bout

wtf did they give up to get a 5th starter??

I already mentioned the shittyness of the move...see above

and I'd rather have Johnson (whom I wholeheartedly DETEST) over Ponson. At least he tries and doesnt have any ability vs. Ponson who doesnt even give a shit

they both suck so why dont we go back to burrying Steinbrenner for making a stupid move. He could have done better by trading for someone (and dont be a wiseass and ask me who)

Yeah, I mean I don't like the move or anything but I don't think it was Stenibrenner who made it. This is such a small move that I doubt Cash even consulted Georgie before making it.

This is like when we got Leiter last year. He was absolutely terrible in Florida but he came here and din't do that bad. At least based on the expectations we had of him, anyway.

The trades are coming. I don't expect anything big or blockbuster type deals to go down but hopefully we can obtain at least one competent starter

Well it's either this or you continue to stick Chacon out there every 5th day. I'm no fan of the move, but at least it doesn't cost us anything. More than likely, it's a case of "six of one, half dozen of the other". I'm not expecting much, but stranger things have happened...

When a so called quality pitcher on an very good team is let go. It tells you something is wrong with him. Granted a change of settings might be good for him, but he is still overrated.

"So-called quality pitcher?" Dude, please tell me who has called him a quality pitcher. He hasn't been quality anything since his days in Baltimore. And that was a few years ago. And since when is St. Louis "very good?" Their pitching is bad and their offense is nowhere near what it used to be. Honestly, what the hell?

I really don't understand how you can call a pitcher with alcohol abuse problems who has been so bad the past two years "overrated" He's a fat pig who can't pitch anymore. I mean, there's a reason why the Yankees, who overypay for everyone, only gave him a prorated minimum league salary.

If you want to call a pitcher overrated. You can start with Josh Beckett. And add two other former Marlins: Carl Pavano and AJ Burnett. Nowthose are overrated pitchers

and I'd rather have Johnson (whom I wholeheartedly DETEST) over Ponson. At least he tries and doesnt have any ability vs. Ponson who doesnt even give a shit

they both suck so why dont we go back to burrying Steinbrenner for making a stupid move. He could have done better by trading for someone (and dont be a wiseass and ask me who)

d/p

Yeh george Steinbrenner is behind this move..are you high?

Its cashman scouring the waiver wire etc.

They get a chance to pick up a guy for no players and very little money

its a guy who has stuff and has had some success

Its also trying to catch lighnting in a bottle like Chacon last yr and Small who went 10-0 and who else??? Oh yeah Al Leiter who only had one big game but was worth it remember Sunday night at Bost. he owned the sox that night and kick started the Yanks back towards yet another division title

I dont understand all the freaking out over yanks picking up a 5th starter like they or us yank fans really think Ponson is the printed ticket to the playoffs

chill

Yeh george Steinbrenner is behind this move..are you high?

Its cashman scouring the waiver wire etc.

They get a chance to pick up a guy for no players and very little money

its a guy who has stuff and has had some success

Its also trying to catch lighnting in a bottle like Chacon last yr and Small who went 10-0 and who else??? Oh yeah Al Leiter who only had one big game but was worth it remember Sunday night at Bost. he owned the sox that night and kick started the Yanks back towards yet another division title

I dont understand all the freaking out over yanks picking up a 5th starter like they or us yank fans really think Ponson is the printed ticket to the playoffs

chill

lol...I'm not freaking out bro...

you got me played like I'm all excited over this move and whatnot. c'mon man

if the Yamkees sign Zito or someone for 50 mil a year or some shit then I'll start throwing plates against the wall....till then, I just want to see Ponson implode

lol...I'm not freaking out bro...

you got me played like I'm all excited over this move and whatnot. c'mon man

if the Yamkees sign Zito or someone for 50 mil a year or some shit then I'll start throwing plates against the wall....till then, I just want to see Ponson implode

gawd i hope poson goes 9-1 down the stretch:getdown:

it just ssemed that way by everyones reaction to a 5th starter pick up

gawd i hope poson goes 9-1 down the stretch:getdown:

it just ssemed that way by everyones reaction to a 5th starter pick up

nah..thats just you being overly defensive of your yamkees. i dont got any room to talk though because I'm the same way to my sox

btw, will you ever at least counteroffer one of my trade requests?

I think that barring injuries, I'm taking the clubplanet league. That's why I almost never make counteroffers in that league. Why fix what isn't broken? I'll be a little more proactive in the other league...

Big Sidney pitched aiiight

outside that one bad pitch to Sexson (wtf are you thinking the guy is like 13 for 26 lifetime against you with a buttload of H.R and you hang a breaking ball to him ?!?!?)

he settled down and pitched well , nice movement on most of his pitches