Clubplanet Nightlife Community

teachers pay...

dgmodel

you know how teachers are always complaining about how their pay is low etc... i was thinking that what if instead of working 180 days out of the year... they worked a full year? bare with me... how about if in the off season (summer months) where children arent in school, they still got their pay but they were mandated to go to continuing education. to learn more, learn new things, constantly adapt to new methods, new material, prepare for the new year etc. then that would justify a raise but getting 60, 70, 80k for 180 days work and then saying "we want more" is just wrong.

i know they wouldnt immediately go for it... but with out giving in and giving them more for nothing... this should be the next logical debate. they seriously only work 180 days out of the year... about eleven of my friends are teachers... and thats all i hear this time year... "haha 180 days" etc.

you know how teachers are always complaining about how their pay is low etc... i was thinking that what if instead of working 180 days out of the year... they worked a full year? bare with me... how about if in the off season (summer months) where children arent in school, they still got their pay but they were mandated to go to continuing education. to learn more, learn new things, constantly adapt to new methods, new material, prepare for the new year etc. then that would justify a raise but getting 60, 70, 80k for 180 days work and then saying "we want more" is just wrong.

my mother is/was (she just retired) a teacher and every day after school she still had hours of shit to do, and all summer shed work on her lesson plans, new circiculum etc. so I have no idea what your basing this on... and she did made 80K as an elementary teacher... but she had 2 masters and was a teacher for over 30 yrs.

i dont know your mother, i can only base my statement on the large amount of teachers i know, who also happen to be from ny not ma. i agree they do work after school, but they finish with the kids at three... not to mention they start at 830. so yes... they may work after the kids leave but they finish 5 or 6 like the rest of us...

Oh and they also have to work a week after the kids get out and a week before the kids go back.

correct. but its basically preparing the room and general curriculum...

you know they say children go through the summer slump, and lose focus etc. during the summer... well the same could be said for teachers... im sure you wouldnt bounce back to reality in a flash after a two month vacation...

but realistically, what is wrong with continuing education, and learning new things, new teaching methods, nwe curriculums, etc. are you saying that there isnt a need for that??? a lot of the older teachers have antiquated teaching skills and arent up to date on their info...

Yeah and what about the ones that have masters and are working on more. Spend the summer taking other classes and certifications. I call crap on you DG. Dealing with other peoples kids shit day in and day out, then working on more shit at night... Nah way under paid in my eyes.. Plus how much work do office people really do in a day?

Yeah and what about the ones that have masters and are working on more. Spend the summer taking other classes and certifications. I call crap on you DG. Dealing with other peoples kids shit day in and day out, then working on more shit at night... Nah way under paid in my eyes.. Plus how much work do office people really do in a day?

obviously this doesnt apply to those who already do this...

however giving the excuse of "dealing with other ppls kids shit day in and day out" doesnt hold up... its your job. you chose it. you knew exactly what it entailed...

theres only two reasons why ppl become teachers... july and august.

(and i agree office ppl dont do shit either, but thats the owner/mngr's job to monitor not the govt./mayor... so that argument doesnt apply here) not to mention when an office worker asks for a raise it doesnt come out of taxes... it comes out of the co's funds.

Well someone needs to teach your kids. I mean you just drop them off. So yes you can say that. If you are a good well educated teacher, then you should be paid for it.

So your not ok with your tax money going to a well educated teacher? Well that makes zero sense to me, because if I had a kid I would want a happy educated teacher teaching my kid. Not some dumb fuck that is pissed off about his/her job. And can you even make taxes an issue when taxes are so outta fucking whack anyway.. Come to boston take a ride in a tunnel then lets talk taxes

my best friend is a special ed teacher and she started out pretty well...like 40K...but yeah, she realizes she's getting paid for only 9 months otu of the year..plus she gets all those vacations through the school year....plus they have great benefits and will get a great pension when they retire...plus she'll eventually be making close to 100k not a bad deal

sometimes i wish i went in that direction but i just don't have the patience....she LOVES her job though

Well someone needs to teach your kids. I mean you just drop them off. So yes you can say that. If you are a good well educated teacher, then you should be paid for it.

So your not ok with your tax money going to a well educated teacher? Well that makes zero sense to me, because if I had a kid I would want a happy educated teacher teaching my kid. Not some dumb fuck that is pissed off about his/her job. And can you even make taxes an issue when taxes are so outta fucking whack anyway.. Come to boston take a ride in a tunnel then lets talk taxes

agreed... but teachers compensation should be directly correlated to a childs progress... however if we implement this, it would be reason for teachers to falsely pass children, or give them higher marks simply to get raises... so there really isnt a way to chart a childs progress genuinely... because always have factors of the child not being a good test taker, the teacher handing out material thats going to be on a "citywide", teacher helping students during tests... etc.

i am perfectly fine with a person getting paid for what theyre qualified for... in any industry i didnt say that... im saying that there should be a mandate that makes sure the poor ones do not get through the cracks and ride the system...

i mean c'mon you went to school, youre going to tell me you never came across a teacher who really wasnt fit to teach?

i am not making this a personal attack on your mother or any teacher specifically, im simply making a blanket statement saying that if they want more pay they should do more work in the off season... (not to mention their already high pay and include benefits and they make more than most of the ppl out there already...) truly i believe SOME deserve it, but there are many who do not... imo.

i think it depends on a teachers district..

a teacher teaching in bedford ny who makes starting like 60k is not underpaid..

a teacher teaching in south bronx in a "high needs" school who starts with 40k is underpaid

correct. theyve started a new system... where they reward "new" teachers higher pay, and bonus pay for going to less appealing districts... high five bloomberg!

agreed... but teachers compensation should be directly correlated to a childs progress... however if we implement this, it would be reason for teachers to falsely pass children, or give them higher marks simply to get raises... so there really isnt a way to chart a childs progress genuinely... because always have factors of the child not being a good test taker, the teacher handing out material thats going to be on a "citywide", teacher helping students during tests... etc.

i am perfectly fine with a person getting paid for what theyre qualified for... in any industry i didnt say that... im saying that there should be a mandate that makes sure the poor ones do not get through the cracks and ride the system...

i mean c'mon you went to school, youre going to tell me you never came across a teacher who really wasnt fit to teach?

i am not making this a personal attack on your mother or any teacher specifically, im simply making a blanket statement saying that if they want more pay they should do more work in the off season... (not to mention their already high pay and include benefits and they make more than most of the ppl out there already...) truly i believe SOME deserve it, but there are many who do not... imo.

Why you bringing my mother into this? She isnt a teacher. WTF you got beef now??

and yes, pay where pay is deserved I agree

sorry i confused your post with stymies... i thought you said your mother was a teacher... it was him... i apologize for the misunderstanding...

Yeah whatever bro, kinda fucked up if you ask me. I am sure Stymie is pissed!

Let me start by saying my wife is a third grade teacher. Most do continue their education during the summer (more masters more money). If you are in a good system things are ok, but if you are in the inner city the teachers are treated more like babysitters.

Also in mass they have tests that the kids need to pass, if a system has low scores they get put on probation.

Oh and her being home while I have to work makes me want to kill people.

marko my gf is a teacher and im really offended...ur way off base..i dont think we can be friends anymore

but in all seriousness..teachers have the hardest jobs and get absolutely noooooooo props for it...imagine the little shitbags u see on that E train @ 3pm every day goin home ...someone just had to deal with them for 8 FUCKING HOURS....yes..theyre called teachers