Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bang music festival ... incredible line up ... outrageous pricing

dracme

I just bought the ticket for the Bang music festival. Hell I wouldn't miss Daft Punk for anything, and Duran Duran ,etc ... well its a very good line up. But I almost went crazy when I saw the price. The price which was advertised as 55 went like this

$55

$10 processing fee

$10 shipping

+ tax

I ended up paying 80$!!!!!!!!!!! This is insane .... 10 dollar shipping ... are they crazy ... and 10 dollars in processing fee !!!!! I guess maybe I should have waited to buy at the day of the event but I didn't want to risk it

is it me or are they ripping people off ... what do you guys think????

I assure you the festival doesn't see a dime of the processing and shipping fee...that is setup by the ticketing agency. Ticketmaster charges a comparable amount only they call it a "convenience" charge.

As it stands now there are 50 + artists playing...which works out to $ 1.60 per artist. A ripoff ? Not by ANY stretch of the imagination.

I assure you the festival doesn't see a dime of the processing and shipping fee...that is setup by the ticketing agency. Ticketmaster charges a comparable amount only they call it a "convenience" charge.

As it stands now there are 50 + artists playing...which works out to $ 1.60 per artist. A ripoff ? Not by ANY stretch of the imagination.

yeah but you cant see all of them in the timespan

you're realistically only paying for 10

regardless, here is a relevant discussion:

Techdirt: Apparently Ticketmaster Doesn't Like Having Competition

realize that you can go outside the ticketing agency that is profiting on you and indepedently distribute tickets, cutting consumer costs

On average, fests are $50-$80 these days. Hell, when we did GG in Europe a few weeks ago it was £60 or so per day I think.

Yeah, Global Gathering in the UK has become a rip off. Not only do the tickets rise above inflation rate each year, the food and merchandise inside are extortionate too. I paid £9 for a small bottle of coke and noodles. Bear in mind it's about $1.80 to £1 and the noodles were cold and horrible too!

When it first started in 2001, it was £40 and drinks etc were fairly cheap - it was all about the music with very little commercial interest in it.

well ... just to respond to all of these questions I agree that $55 is a fair price for the event. I am more outraged at the processing fees and the shipping fee. How can they charge $10 for shipping a ticket. That is soooo expensive. I did some futher research and by looking at the receipt I got it seems that the company that is handling the ticketing for Bang is called ticketanimal.com

if you go to their website is under construction. So I am assuming someone got a deal to be the exclusive ticket provider for Bang and they setup a company to do this really fast. And then they make their money by charging outrageous processing and shipping fees. If Bang only sees 55 dollars (the price of the ticket) its amazing that this company that does not even have a website or a good presence is getting another 25 dollars (excluding tax)

what are your thoughts????? are there other ways to get these tickets, I already made by purchase but want to spare some of my friends ....

hipothetically speaking if Bang tickets don't ever run out and I go get mine at the door I would not pay all these surcharges .... does anyone expect face vaule of these tickets to go over $80??????

Well, I'd say wait it out. Didn't it go something like this last year -->

$55 in advance (when the hype was big)

$45 the month before (when not many bought in advance)

$35 two weeks before (when it was still too much)

$25 the day of the show (when they were trying to get people to show up)

I'm not planning on going because I don't like the massive raves that much ... but if it's anything like last year I think I'd just wait and buy tix the day of the show.

seriously .... what a rip off ... thats crazy .... how can they rip of the people that buy in advance so much ... when they should be the ones getting the break ... but still the whole thing with the processing and shipping fee that is independent of ticket prices is crazy

seriously .... what a rip off ... thats crazy .... how can they rip of the people that buy in advance so much ... when they should be the ones getting the break ... but still the whole thing with the processing and shipping fee that is independent of ticket prices is crazy

what bothers you more, the shipping or the handling?

:party:

More like an Inconvenience Charge if you ask me.

well ... just to respond to all of these questions I agree that $55 is a fair price for the event. I am more outraged at the processing fees and the shipping fee. How can they charge $10 for shipping a ticket. That is soooo expensive. I did some futher research and by looking at the receipt I got it seems that the company that is handling the ticketing for Bang is called ticketanimal.com

if you go to their website is under construction. So I am assuming someone got a deal to be the exclusive ticket provider for Bang and they setup a company to do this really fast. And then they make their money by charging outrageous processing and shipping fees. If Bang only sees 55 dollars (the price of the ticket) its amazing that this company that does not even have a website or a good presence is getting another 25 dollars (excluding tax)

what are your thoughts????? are there other ways to get these tickets, I already made by purchase but want to spare some of my friends ....

hipothetically speaking if Bang tickets don't ever run out and I go get mine at the door I would not pay all these surcharges .... does anyone expect face vaule of these tickets to go over $80??????

For comparison purposes here are what the other two major ticketing agencies charge:

TICKETMASTER

UPS: 2 - Business Day Morning

US $19.50

by 12 noon in 2 business days - undeliverable to PO Box addresses

UPS: 2 - Business Day Evening

US $18.50

by 7:30 pm in 2 business days - undeliverable to PO Box addresses

UPS: 3 - Business Day Evening

US $14.50

by 7:30 pm in 3 business days - undeliverable to PO Box addresses

UPS: Saturday

US $25.00

by noon on Saturday. Order must be placed by Wednesday prior - undeliverable to PO Box addresses

GROOVETICKETS

EXPRESS - $17.95 - Delivery requires a signature. Allow up to 3 business days for delivery. Continental U.S. residents only. Tickets will be delivered to the billing address of the credit card. Express will not be available for this event after 9/19/2006.

PRIORITY - $8.95 - Delivery requires a signature. Allow up to 5 business days for delivery. Continental U.S. residents only. Tickets will be delivered to the billing address of the credit card. Priority will not be available for this event after 9/16/2006.

FIRST CLASS - $5.95 - Delivery requires a signature. Allow up to 10 business days for delivery. Continental U.S. residents only. Tickets will be delivered to the billing address of the credit card. First Class will not be available for this event after 9/8/2006.

This is in addition to the taxes and service charges they must collect. For the record you always have the option of buying tickets at a retail location near you (to be announced shortly) thus saving the shipping charge (but not the service fees & taxes). The purpose of having on-line ticket sales is after all, CONVENIENCE.