Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why do some HouseHeads refuse to.......

accept the fact that their music is EDM and just as electronic as Techno, Hip Hop, Trance, Drum and Bass or Breakbeats??????

I just dont get it.

Its all made in a studio using computers, synthesizers and drum machines.

House is no different.

Its cause of ppl like Silverbull who hate on anything outside of the House genre. Hope that answers your question.

See the way i see it is sopmeone just decided to call it all EDM.

to me it was all house and the other genres are derived from house.

techno, tribal, electro, DnB,breaks all came in one form or another from house. I see it just like you have rock music. than have Heavy metal, Speed metal, hard rock. Its all a form of rock and roll just different genres. to me its all house just a different genre.

^ 100% WRONG

but i can see how it can simply be summed up like that.

For example:

Drum and bass and house are 2 totally different genres with NO history cross over.

Eric Clapton and Metallica both use guitars. They are NOT the same music.

But actually, old school/soulful house tracks tend to have more live instruments. Congas, Brass instruments, guitars, etc. So the production values jump up a notch.

House music touches the soul while "edm" is just beats and good times, thats the difference, IMO. I know when im at a party with a proper house crowd and house dj layingit down theres no comparison in vibe or feeling. Tiesto for example with his hands in the air and clapping aint got nothing on JOE CLAUSSELL in my book.

House music touches the soul while "edm" is just beats and good times, thats the difference, IMO. I know when im at a party with a proper house crowd and house dj layingit down theres no comparison in vibe or feeling. Tiesto for example with his hands in the air and clapping aint got nothing on JOE CLAUSSELL in my book.

I'm a big Joe Claussell fan but I was surprised to see people standing in front of that booth and looking at the dj as opposed to just enjoying themselves ... I hate that stare-at-the-dj crap, be it from househeads or tiesto-kids.

For me EDM is just music made from Computers or advanced electronic machines, and it can definitively have SOUL. Like what comes out of Basic Channel for example.

I think the problem with Househeads is that they tend to be Snobs. I don't know how House can't be EDM. It's an Electronic form of Music oriented towards Dance!

alot of trance tracks have just as much emotion in em as house tracks weather it be vocal or non-vocal.

alot of trance tracks have just as much emotion in em as house tracks weather it be vocal or non-vocal.

totally agree, imo trance tracks are the most emotional of all. just my opinion but i have to say there have been a few times a tear came to my eye when listening to some of pvd's sets as he throws down some beautiful tracks. not big vocal house (i cant stand when guys sing, girls on the other hand i love their voice) but to me house in more upbeat and less emotional than trance. dont get me wrong i love house jsut as much as trance in fact I havent even seen a trance dj this year with the exception of avb and pvd its been nothing but house this spring and summer for me.

tech·no pron.gif (tebreve.gifkprime.gifnomacr.gif)

Any of various styles of dance music characterized by electronic sounds and a high-energy, rhythmic beat

I dont know about you but that sounds likes all genres to me. I would generally characterize it all as techno.

techno was a sound movement inspiried from Detroit that was influenced from among stuff house music, heres a quick history lesson.

Techno was primarily developed in basement studios by "The Belleville Three", a cadre of African-American men who were attending college, at the time, near Detroit, Michigan.

The budding musicians – former high school friends and mixtape traders Juan Atkins, Derrick May, and Kevin Saunderson – found inspiration in Midnight Funk Association, an eclectic, 5-hour, late-night radio program hosted on various Detroit radio stations including WCHB, WGPR, and WJLB-FM from 1977 through the mid-1980s by DJ Charles "The Electrifying Mojo" Johnson. Mojo's show featured heavy doses of electronic sounds from the likes of George Clinton, Kraftwerk, and Tangerine Dream, among others.

In the years immediately following the first techno compilation's release, techno was referenced in the dance music press as Detroit's relatively high-tech, mechanical brand of house music, because on the whole, it retained the same basic structure as the soulful, minimal, post-disco style that was emanating from Chicago and New York at the time. The music's producers, especially May and Saunderson, admit to having been fascinated by the Chicago club scene and being influenced by house in particular. This influence is especially evident in the tracks on the first compilation, as well as in many of the other compositions and remixes they released between 1988 and 1992. May's 1987-88 hit "Strings Of Life" (released under the nom de plume Rhythim Is Rhythim), for example, is considered a classic in both the house and techno genres.

I'm a big Joe Claussell fan but I was surprised to see people standing in front of that booth and looking at the dj as opposed to just enjoying themselves ... I hate that stare-at-the-dj crap, be it from househeads or tiesto-kids.

!

+1

Alot of DJ worshippin goin on in those vids, yet thats one of the aspects that people attack trance for

+1

Alot of DJ worshippin goin on in those vids, yet thats one of the aspects that people attack trance for

while i agree it looks liek theres alot of people staring at joe, it was a boat party and a bit hard to shake it up properly from time to time, and like backup said SUPRISED to see it from that party and his crowd. Now if you were to see this crowd in a club its far from staring.

Whats song he is playing on the Soul Alliance party sounds so familar like something tenaglia would play def a classic

i think what everyone is missing is that music is language that not everyone understands. ALL MUSIC TODAY can be technically considered EDM as you are usinf electronic to produce dance music hence ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC. unless you are doing it live. i produce house music of all types which uses live instruments but i do it on a computer so there is a certain "stiffness" i am always fighting in regards to getting it to sound natural and flowing...that's a task in itself.

imho i don't feel alot of this bleepy stuff today. (totally soul-less sometimes) but that does not mean that i don't have or others don't have the emotional capacity to feel something for that music. keep the channel open.

instrumentation on a track usually touches a nerve because of the fact that your particular psyche likes the variation.

there are tons of deep house tracks that have people feeling a whole plethora of emotions and do not use 1 live instrument. but the instrumentation makes you feel something. same as drums...synthetic or live, sampled or not, you can make people feel "fake" drums and they wouldn't know the difference IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY

look at KOT's "FINALLY" do you think they actually mic'd a rhodes? do you thinks they recorded that bassline live? no. but yet due to the vocal and delivery and THE WAY it is produced, i've witnessed people crying to this masterpiece. how about donna summer's "i feel love" nothing real, all synths. but you feel it right? cerron's "supernature" a mixture of synths and live drums

stevie wonder's music is living proof that synth music can be emotional. listen to the album "songs in the key of life" alot of that stuff is all synths but i'm sure you feel it... herbie hancock? don't front.

and the list goes on & on ... the best thing a dj can do is STUDY how humans react to things and how to get a rise in their emotions...heard of pshyco-acoustics?

one tof the problems is that we have lost alot of the things that were inplace to make us feel certain emotions in music. djing is not mixing 2 or 3 records together or playing a seemless set of the same genre for two hours, but the house children have very few examples left to show them the way. truly sad

^ 100% WRONG

but i can see how it can simply be summed up like that.

For example:

Drum and bass and house are 2 totally different genres with NO history cross over.

Eric Clapton and Metallica both use guitars. They are NOT the same music.

But actually, old school/soulful house tracks tend to have more live instruments. Congas, Brass instruments, guitars, etc. So the production values jump up a notch.

So you are telling me Clapton and Metallica aren't from the same root of music? They both play rock one is just much heavier than the other. Clapton in the 70s was what rock was. Metallica in the 80 and beyond is where rock music went to.

My point being IMO its all house. back in the 80s House music came out. From that sprung Techno, Acid house, trance , tribal etc. My point being is that EDM to me means nothing. To me its all dervied from house. Its like anything in life. One person creates something and then it has offshoots which become a whole new genre of the original. Its all a form of house music. just a persons different take on that music.

To me its all dervied from house. Its like anything in life. One person creates something and then it has offshoots which become a whole new genre of the original. Its all a form of house music. just a persons different take on that music.

look at it like this, you go to Sam Goody or some other chain store like that and ask someone "where is the house music?" They reply by saying "check in our EDM section." EDM is just a broader term for trance, house, D&B, tech. Agreed that generes derive from House but in a wider scense, its all EDM

look at it like this, you go to Sam Goody or some other chain store like that and ask someone "where is the house music?" They reply by saying "check in our EDM section." EDM is just a broader term for trance, house, D&B, tech. Agreed that generes derive from House but in a wider scense, its all EDM

I think we are both making the same point. I am sure some corperate entity made up EDM as thier new industry term.

Whats song he is playing on the Soul Alliance party sounds so familar like something tenaglia would play def a classic

def havent heard danny t play this yet sadly, been out for a few months now, if you come to stimulus>response this sat you will hear it hehe. Its been a big track in teh deephouse scene since day 1.

house, tech, breaks, TRANCE, DnB... all the same shit.

exactly just as the definition of "techno" describes. When you take a step back and look its all techno or EDM. Then broken down into house, trance, breaks, etc. Just like you have food, then food gets broken down to meats, veggies, fruits, etc. lol.

Silver I understand where your comming from and how passionate you are. But your getting a little to technical. You dont have to go that deep with this one.

exactly just as the definition of "techno" describes. When you take a step back and look its all techno or EDM. Then broken down into house, trance, breaks, etc. Just like you have food, then food gets broken down to meats, veggies, fruits, etc. lol.

Silver I understand where your comming from and how passionate you are. But your getting a little to technical. You dont have to go that deep with this one.

Actually if you were breaking it down like that, techno would be a form of house. House was around long before Techno. But most people i know refer to it generally all as house music. Not just " i like trance" or tribal or anything. just house. I think EDM sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.