Clubplanet Nightlife Community

JAMES ZABIELA @ PACHA | Fri 2/9

Pacha New York welcomes back sci-fi aficionado and technical wizard James Zabiela this Friday, February 9th. James will be well-armed with his fully loaded laptop, EFX units, CDs and magic box of tricks for his technically innovative sets. On playing at Pacha, James says, “I really love what they've done with the venue. It has an intimate feel which is hard to achieve for a club that size.†It's a common sentiment echoed by many DJs regarding the close-proximity and interaction between the DJ booth and the dancefloor which make for a unique NYC clubbing experience.

James has had successful compilations ("Alive" and "Utilities"), EPs and singles on UK label Renaissance and he continues with his own production work with remixes for Sasha, Royksopp and Depeche Mode. His recent take on Charlie May vs. Sasha ‘Seal Clubbing’ spent several weeks at #1 in both the Beatport.com and DJ Download charts.

Friday, February 9th, 2007

JAMES ZABIELA

& Bill Patrick (Robots)

Sleepy & Boo (Basic NYC)

+NYC Locals in the Basement

CONTEST: Enter here for your chance to win a special Meet & Greet with James Zabiela & Bill Patrick(!), VIP admission for 4 and complimentary bottle service.

ENTER CONTEST NOW!

PACHA NEW YORK

618 West 46th St

New York, NY 10036

Doors at 10pm

$20 Advance Tickets - www.ticketweb.com

www.pachanyc.com

flyer_020907.jpg

www.jameszabiela.co.uk

Guest onisakura

Prob not, but its pacha so i dont really know. I'm definitely gonna be there. I've said it time and time again, James is most certainly a DJ that you have to really see and watch to appreciate how he actually creates music on the fly with his equipment.

I appreciate that the Basic NYC list was kept open even after 12 (I got to the front at about 12:30 and was still comped). If I have stood on line for 40 mins in that freezing cold *and* be hit up for a cover I might be here bitching today.

Thanks Basic NYC (and Boris)

well u know my deal. how was it?

well u know my deal. how was it?
First, as disclaimer, I was pretty tired, I've been totally spoiled by Deep Space to which I find myself comparing all parties, this was my first exposure to Zabiela, and musically I have to say he is not my cup of tea.

I was a little turned off by the absolute adoring DJ worship. Zabiela did have edgy set composition, flawless mixing, and the scratching was impressive, but the over-the-top adulation in there was just freaky. If you came with like-minded friends and boozed a little you may have enjoyed the energy in the main room and had a jolly good time. As it was the two I came with were off sucking face in a corner for much of the time, and I wasn't drinking.

Locals in the basement was something of a better scene; seemed like more of a party and less of a concert or sermon. Also more room.

At some point in the night I found myself talking to some guy, Boris--said he recognized me by the shirt--about typeface; with him telling me about this shirt he once saw that said "Helvetica" but the typeface was Garamond! Wiggy!

I appreciate that the Basic NYC list was kept open even after 12 (I got to the front at about 12:30 and was still comped). If I have stood on line for 40 mins in that freezing cold *and* be hit up for a cover I might be here bitching today.

Thanks Basic NYC (and Boris)

Glad you had a good time Sidney!

I, for one was very dissapointed with Pacha on Fri. I travelled in from Ireland, not specifically for the gig. I've seen Zabiela play many times, and he was his usual self. Very technically gifted, but personally not my bag for dancing. I feel its hard to loose your self in the set, as he stops every tune to showcase his scratching/dj'ing skills.

I have never been more disappointed in any club world wide. Without making a long story longer, I felt staff were rude, and clientelle mostly 'out of it' with no interest in or awareness of what was going on around them. I had four crack heads either side of me all night, and found it hard no matter where I moved to dance without being grabbed by randomers.

I have clubbed for over 10 years all over the world, and say that one of Zabielas tracks on the night described the scene in Pacha on Friday.

"The idiots are taking over"!

Guest onisakura

See i felt the opposite with regards to his style. His set has evolved a bit and i thought it was way more danceable than before and he's kinda toned it down a bit with the skills showcasing. Miami LOVES that but NY is a little different. I have to agree with the idiots part though, i almost had to have one dude kicked out cause he was harassing me every 10 minutes cause he wouldn't take no for an answer.

I found the crowd to be fairly young and that was definitely a major component of the crowd that was clueless. Speaking to one of the bartenders, i agreed when she said that the kids were a waste of space. They don't spend money or tip and are a general nuisance. They need to get rid of the 18+ factor.

As for the staff being rude, i didnt seem to have that impression. Then again i'm polite to a fault and surprisingly Boris recognized me at the door (was on the list anyway) even though i havne't been there since October.

My ONE HUGE GRIPE though, is that they are freaking Booth Nazis there. Every time James is in town i always come by the booth to say hello briefly because we have many mutual friends and this time i wasn't even able to get past the steps. What the hell? Its not packed, i'm asking politely and i only plan on being there 10 minutes tops and them i'm out again. Is that too much to ask? I'm on the freaking DJ's list for crying out loud, i cant even get in there to say hello and thank you for doing me the favor. :cuss:

PS. How was the Dance marathon?

(Started getting sick on Sat. and coudn't bear the idea of going outside in that cold again.

... and there are wolves after me!)

dance a thon was good, very friendly people....it was freezing though, but worth it. hearing mixed reviews of zabiela, hmmm. lmao at the irishman's description of pacha......sad but true most of the time....the 18 yo factor didn't bother me too much for g & d but other times it has....... so im disappointed that i missed sleepy and boo again so def gonna check them out at shelter at the end of the month.