Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC - The Perfect weekend

Hi,

I am coming over to NYC on 23rd April for 4 nights and want to spend the time in the best bars and clubs. Last time I got to see Gabs & dresden at Pacha, And Victor in Crowbar. Now Crowbar has gone, where should I go? Been to Webster hall in the past and Limelight but where else is there.

I'm from London and love progressive trance, DJs Tiesto, Above and Beyon, Rank 1, Armin, PVD etc.. I want to make this trip a big one so I need your help. I believe there's a made event on 25th Pacha, Vander?

Argghh all this talk of electro and Tribal in NYC is getting me down!!!!

Lossy

Sorry to tell you this, but unless Made Events or one of the big clubs is bringing someone in, your not likely to find any form of trance in NYC. You might find some cheese, but not the good stuff.

Is trance dead in NYC? In europe it's still going strong with Armin and Tiesto on the club scene. OK so no trance, where can I go where they don't play rap and 'black music' all night. I wanna go out and dance, bit of high energy stuff. What's the new in place? I loved Crowbar, gonna miss not being able to go there....

Is trance dead in NYC? In europe it's still going strong with Armin and Tiesto on the club scene. OK so no trance, where can I go where they don't play rap and 'black music' all night. I wanna go out and dance, bit of high energy stuff. What's the new in place? I loved Crowbar, gonna miss not being able to go there....

damn, you should have just left it at RAP!

well... is house music in your definition of 'black music'

well... is house music in your definition of 'black music'
If that is the case,then he is quite ignorant,let alone sounding a bit racist.Its one thing to not care for house music,if you're into your little trance and techno,thats fine,but to put a race/color label on house music,you need to be bitch slapped.Speaking generally of course.BTW I have been to one of Armin Van Buuren's gigs and quite frankly i could give a rats ass about that kind of music,people werent dancing they were just jumpin up and down with their hands in the air like they were at some kind of rock concert.NO THANK YOU!!! HOUSE MUSIC ALL THE WAY

Ok first off,House Music is universal and when it started out it was a black and latino thing,mostly in the gay community,its not just white get that str8 and act like you know.Stop bringing the segregating attitudes on to these forums board goddamn you.Btw in case you havent noticed alot of these little white boys and girls from these little suburban towns are listening to hiphop/rap these days.Since you know so much about what race listens to what music,explain that?

well, what would you call rap music. it is a black people thang, with a few exceptions. just like house music is a mostly white thing. thats not racist, thats fact.

How old are you?

House music was started by the gay black/latino gay community. I suggest you do some more research. Real quick since it seems you like trance where do you think PAUL OAKENFOLD spent alot of his time in nyc during the early 80s. THE PARADISE GARAGE a mostly gay black club with Larry Levan influencing so many people in that crowd who were to become legends.

Also i guess it depends on what scene your STARTED or frequent.

bro, first off i hate trance. i usually attend every single junior party (nyc) with some victor and others sprinkled in, so i know diversity. im not trying to define the history of house nor start up any shit on this board. all i was trying to get across for mrlossyman was that in TODAYS clubs house music in general is gonna bring a mostly white crowd, while hip hop is gonna bring a mostly black crowd. i actually prefer the very mixed crowds, gay, straight, black, white, what ever. everybody jumped on mrlossy because he said black people music. so what. if someone that was black referred to country music as white people music its the same thing. doesn't bother me. btw im 33.

bro, first off i hate trance. i usually attend every single junior party (nyc) with some victor and others sprinkled in, so i know diversity. im not trying to define the history of house nor start up any shit on this board. all i was trying to get across for mrlossyman was that in TODAYS clubs house music in general is gonna bring a mostly white crowd, while hip hop is gonna bring a mostly black crowd. i actually prefer the very mixed crowds, gay, straight, black, white, what ever. everybody jumped on mrlossy because he said black people music. so what. if someone that was black referred to country music as white people music its the same thing. doesn't bother me. btw im 33.

Junior and calderone isnt really that much diverse. If you wouldve mentioned alma, roots, shelter, blue sky thursdays,pardizo, vibal, etc along with junior then that would be diverse.

If you go to clubs like marquee,tenjune,one, where the music is hip hop theres more whites and euros then blacks. Or have you not been to those places yet.

Oh yeah check out this video clip of a party that lasted 12hrs this is around 230pm sunday afternoon and tell me how many white people you see lol. Since we are talking bout race now. Its a weekly party thats been around for 17yrs now and is a staple in nyc house scene. This is with the lights on at the final 30-45mins of the party.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3bjftVpcY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3bjftVpcY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

You use the example of country music, granted that is identified with being white american cause of its creators. But when you say that regarding house music you are very very very wrong.

well, even if you are into trance/techno, that came from acid house which was created almost single-handedly by one black man (DJ Pierre, who is still dropping bombs and minimal tracks) so I think its kind of wrong to segregate that way too. There are white deep house/body & soul style djs.

im not into trance or techno at all. here are the djs i prefer and maybe you can figure me out:

JUNIOR- by far my favorite. simply fucking amazing when hes on. 2nd to none.

VICTOR- awesome dj. i need my bangers

JONATHAN- cant forget those SF parties late 90's

PETER- great parties at roxy

there are plenty more in nyc. i only like the euro djs if they spin tribal such as paulo.

im not into trance or techno at all. here are the djs i prefer and maybe you can figure me out:

JUNIOR- by far my favorite. simply fucking amazing when hes on. 2nd to none.

VICTOR- awesome dj. i need my bangers

JONATHAN- cant forget those SF parties late 90's

PETER- great parties at roxy

there are plenty more in nyc. i only like the euro djs if they spin tribal such as paulo.

Junior inspiration was Larry Levan and The Paradise Garage and when that club closed he started Bassline to the old garage heads then Soundfactory after first 2 yrs that original crowd, black, gay, latin, mix went to shelter which 17yrs later is the clip i showed you.

Victor Calderone learned and was inspired along with Tom Stephan, peter, jp Superchumbo and others by junior at Soundfactory and we just discussed where junior got his inspiration from.

My whole thing was dont say something ignorant/moronic that house music is a white person thing.

Thats almost as dumb as older black people in the deephouse scene saying the current tribal, progressive isnt house music etc.

i do know all about junior and his mentor (larry). i was trying to make a simple point about going to a "house music" club in todays nightlife. if you search around and you are knowledgeable like you are then you can find a house music club with the crowd you showed. basically all i was trying to say is that the CROWD that most frequents house music parties is white, thats all. and maybe thats just what i see from going to the parties that i choose. but to me thats pretty much big time shit. my fault for not explaining the history of house music vs the crowd that it now attracts... MOSTLY!!!

Firstly I oppologise if I have offended anyone, that was not my intention at all. I certainly didn't think the phrase 'black music' would upset anyone as it's a term used over here in europe all the time. When I refer to this music (dare not say it again), I refer to Rap, bump and grind etc. etc. certainly not the people who go to clubs but the people who make the music. Whilst I have every respect for these artists and the style of music, it's not my thing just like trance isn't some of yours! House music is fine and I know there's a wealth of black artists. I just feel some people here have made the post to be a race issue when it's not, nor in anyway meant to be.

Maybe in the UK we don't take the race issues to heart and except black people like 'white music' and vice versa. There are certainly some clubs in London where they are proud to say (not saying it) and advertise the fact.. Just wanted some advice! but hey discussion is good....

i do know all about junior and his mentor (larry). i was trying to make a simple point about going to a "house music" club in todays nightlife. if you search around and you are knowledgeable like you are then you can find a house music club with the crowd you showed. basically all i was trying to say is that the CROWD that most frequents house music parties is white, thats all. and maybe thats just what i see from going to the parties that i choose. but to me thats pretty much big time shit. my fault for not explaining the history of house music vs the crowd that it now attracts... MOSTLY!!!

See thats the problem, you think it mostly attracts whites now, thats a big misconception. Maybe you only go to parties that dont attract enough blacks. Doesnt mean they dont or arent around in the scene. Theres a whole scene where their are no whites either, do you get what im saying?

i totally do. lets drop it and move on to talking about somthing important... the MUSIK!!!

Or perhaps giving me advice on the best way to spend the weekend? How about Cielo <<---- hopefully spelt correctly, is this a good place on a Saturday night, or perhaps Webster Hall? I think I am in Pacha on Friday...