Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone else sick of the rain?

V. Barbarino

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

S. Florida to get soaked with another week of rain

BY Ken Kaye

Staff Writer

Posted August 3 2004

With tropical moisture continuing to flow into the region, South Florida is expected to be soaked again today and possibly for the rest of the week, the National Weather Service in Miami said.

Today's forecast calls for numerous afternoon showers and thunderstorms and an overall 70 percent chance of rain, decreasing to 60 percent on Wednesday and Thursday. A trough of low pressure dipping over the nation could make for a stormy Friday and Saturday as well, weather officials said.

"It looks like a wet week ahead," said meteorologist Kim Brabander. "We're paying for a dry May and June."

For the third day in a row, heavy downpours on Monday flooded streets, caused chaos on the highways and produced gusty winds and hail. About 2 to 4 inches of rain fell across the region, as westerly winds pushed stormy weather over the metro areas.

"The atmosphere is still extremely moist and unstable," Brabander said.

Although a tornado was initially reported in Riviera Beach, it was later determined to be a downburst -- a powerful downward gush of air from a thunderstorm -- that damaged a roof to a duplex but didn't result in any injuries, according to Palm Beach County Emergency Management.

In Miami-Dade County, cars waded through streets with water up to their bumpers, trees were uprooted and some homes had roof damage.

Thunderstorms also caused delays at the airports. Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport shut down for an hour, starting about 4 p.m., delaying 15 departures and several arrivals, said airport spokesman Jim Reynolds.

At Miami International, about 80 flights, most operated by American Airlines, were canceled either because of weather or residual problems from a computer glitch on Sunday, said airport spokesman Marc Henderson.

Palm Beach International reported only minor delays.

The reason behind all the rain: A bridge of low pressure, extending from Tropical Storm Alex in the Atlantic to the Gulf of Mexico, has been pulling tropical moisture over the state, said meteorologist Pablo Santo.

Guest mikepayne

Yes, I really love it. I especially love the fact that it's turned my half hour commute into an hour-long commute. And I also love the fact that it started right AFTER the fires in the Everglades that were causing all the traffic before that went out. God I hate traffic... I would buy a gyrocopter so I could fly that shit to work straight OVER the traffic on a daily basis, but my office building is directly in the landing path of Miami International Airport, they'd probably send a pack of F-16s to shoot me down. *sigh* >:(

Guest shannon_coolj.

Yes, I really love it. I especially love the fact that it's turned my half hour commute into an hour-long commute. And I also love the fact that it started right AFTER the fires in the Everglades that were causing all the traffic before that went out. God I hate traffic... I would buy a gyrocopter so I could fly that shit to work straight OVER the traffic on a daily basis, but my office building is directly in the landing path of Miami International Airport, they'd probably send a pack of F-16s to shoot me down. *sigh* >:(

:o

Guest LeVeL

I love the rain....I just dont like it during my commute to Downtown Ft Lauderdale from Hialeah. But let it keep raining we actually need it here in South Florida. Its been too hot for too long its time for us to cool off. Anyways all this rain will only help our farmers get us the fruits we need......its summer people its rains like 60% of the time during this time.

On the flipside...My morning commute today was 15 minutes. From FIU to Downtown. The truck that fliped on 826 Southbound had both North and South 826 Stopped on Coral Way exit. I got on at 8st. entrance and cruised in.

I feel sorry for the people involved in the accident.

Guest pod

I don't mind it one bit. It beats having the oppressive sun shining down on you all day.

Though after awhile I get bored of it and the sun is alright in my book. Usually on the weekends. I'd rather it rain during the week since I'm indoors.

Guest endymion

I don't have a commute and I still hate it. I used to spend the time each day that I save by not commuting on getting outside and rollerblading or something for exercise.

Now I get to sit there in my gym on exercise bikes every day reading magazines and watching it pour outside. I'm effectively stuck in the same building all day, every day.

I hate Miami summers. Winter here kicks ass but summers in Florida are very much like I imagine hell to be like.

Guest mikepayne

I hate Miami summers. Winter here kicks ass but summers in Florida are very much like I imagine hell to be like.

I very much agree with this statement, I don't think I could have put it any better. :)

Guest Skytraveler

Problem with Florida and the Rain is that no one and I mean no one knows how to drive in the rain. I'm sure that there's going to be alot of fender benders in Miami while the rain hits. Probably more so than on an average day

Thank goodness that I don't live or have to drive the Miami traffic all the time

BTW Partly Sunny with a chance of an afternoon rain up where I'm at

Have fun being soaked hehehehhehe!!! ;D

Peace,

Guest coach

Nah, that would be Dallas. 110 for days on end and then, just to fuck you up, it rains in the middle of the day every weekend.

But I haven't noticed that it's been too bad. I mean, we've been to the beach several days over the past week. Been out to eat. Every now and then, you get a little wet (like on the walk to the movie theater on Sunday), but other than that, I haven't noticed that it's all too bad.

Guest pod

Problem with Florida and the Rain is that no one and I mean no one knows how to drive in the rain.

Problem with Miami is that no one knows how to drive at all. They all learned to drive in the Third World where driving rules don't exist.

Guest Cosmigonon

Problem with Florida and the Rain is that no one and I mean no one knows how to drive in the rain.

Problem with Miami is that no one knows how to drive at all. They all learned to drive in the Third World where driving rules don't exist.

LMFAO!!!! That's true, that's why I drive the way I drive ;D!

I dare any of you to drive in Ciudad de Panama in rush hour; you 'd all go crazy after 15 minutes :P

Guest mikepayne

That is what you get for living in Kendall.

I live in the Hammocks, even further in the boonies! Bah!@#!@

However... I've been to Costa Rica a few times, and every time I'm there I learn how spoiled we are. =)

Guest coach

Aight, NOW I am sick of the rain. I made it a day longer than anyone else, though. See, I got home and headed out to do some biking on the beach. I started at 13th and headed south against a strong headwind. The clouds were north of me, the wind was blowing north, everything seemed fine. Got to the bottom of the island, turned around and started to head north. Nice tailwind. Then I noticed a thick gray curtain just a few blocks in front of me around 7th, WHERE I HAD JUST BEEN MINUTES BEFORE!!! So, there I was, trapped 12 blocks from home. No rain where I was at the moment, and a torrential downpour where I wanted to be. So, I rode into it, of course, got off the beach, and headed home, cutting my exercise waaay short. When I got home, Annette was in the shower and I was wetter than her! Soooo, I think I'm about good on rain, now, thank you very much. It can stop anytime now.