Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's your religion?

Guest Cosmigonon

Guest Cosmigonon

Not to cause any controversy, just curiosity.

My whole famili is catholic, went to catholic school for 13 years, first comunion, confirmation, the whole thing. But I consider myself an agnostic or an atheist (I'm not sure, but somebody will be able to tell me).

What about you?

p.s. i don't want to start any drama, just curious about your upbringing...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JMT

My whole famili is catholic, went to catholic school for 13 years, first comunion, confirmation, the whole thing. But I consider myself an agnostic or an atheist (I'm not sure, but somebody will be able to tell me).

What about you?

an agnostic acknowledges a higher being, an atheist believes in nothing.

Guest pod

An agnostic really doesn't acknowledge a higher being, he allows for the possibilty of such.

I do not acknowledge a higher being as some sort of God.

What I do acknowledge is the infinite nature of the universe and the ability of unimaginable life forms to exist within and beyond our plane of existence.

Physics has only scratched the possible surface of what is out there. Only recently have scientists been able to realize the true nature of matter, down to the current establishment of the elementary quarks (up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom). 100 years ago, the atomic level 'was it'. Then the realization of subatomic particles (the electron, the proton, the neutron), then the realization of the various fermions and bosons, to today's quantum mechanics.

Every year, we discover more and more about the universe. But at first, certain phenomena are described as not understood, that they just happen. Thousands of years ago, it was thought that the Sun was the god Apollo crossing the dome of the sky over a flat planet. Now we realize that the Earth is an oblate speheroid circling a class G2 type star at approximately 149,500,000 km. The Sun was thought to be a giant lump of coal even, not a ball of gas undergoing independent nuclear fusion.

It has been said that "any sufficiently advanced form of technology or science is indistinguishable from magic". The 'gods' that people see, could just be the result of that. Think about it, you could drop me, a satellite phone, and my 10D in the middle of the Kalahari, and my ability to take the image of someone and show it to them, would scare the shit out of them. I'd either be venerated as a god, or killed on the spot as a stealer of souls. Either way, the concept of image capture is foreign to those people, and they rationalize it as "magic"

Similar to us, that we rationalize "miracles", and other such phenomena as the act of a god. It is most likely the result of a branch of science we do not yet know about.

In the end, there is nothing mystical about mysticism. Most of the world religions are founded on folk tales which evolved into legends. Most of their stories can be explained away with valid research and scientific discussion, and those that cannot, evenutally will. 300 years ago, no one knew, (or cared) why the Red Sea was reported to part for Moses. Now it is almost a certain fact that the passages in some sections of the Dead Sea scrolls were mis-translated, and that in fact the Israelite slaves probably crossed over a shallow swamp near the present-day Suez Canal.

But in the end, I guess you could say I'm just a realist, I know that in the end, there is some sort of rationally provable explanation behind all that happens to us.

Guest LeVeL

I am Catholic but I dont go to Church and I never have done my first communion. I guess I am not getting married until then 8) .

Guest Cosmigonon

What about you?

an agnostic acknowledges a higher being, an atheist believes in nothing.

Thank you; then I'm an atheist.

An agnostic really doesn't acknowledge a higher being, he allows for the possibilty of such.

I do not acknowledge a higher being as some sort of God.

What I do acknowledge is the infinite nature of the universe and the ability of unimaginable life forms to exist within and beyond our plane of existence.

Physics has only scratched the possible surface of what is out there. Only recently have scientists been able to realize the true nature of matter, down to the current establishment of the elementary quarks (up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom). 100 years ago, the atomic level 'was it'. Then the realization of subatomic particles (the electron, the proton, the neutron), then the realization of the various fermions and bosons, to today's quantum mechanics.

Every year, we discover more and more about the universe. But at first, certain phenomena are described as not understood, that they just happen. Thousands of years ago, it was thought that the Sun was the god Apollo crossing the dome of the sky over a flat planet. Now we realize that the Earth is an oblate speheroid circling a class G2 type star at approximately 149,500,000 km. The Sun was thought to be a giant lump of coal even, not a ball of gas undergoing independent nuclear fusion.

It has been said that "any sufficiently advanced form of technology or science is indistinguishable from magic". The 'gods' that people see, could just be the result of that. Think about it, you could drop me, a satellite phone, and my 10D in the middle of the Kalahari, and my ability to take the image of someone and show it to them, would scare the shit out of them. I'd either be venerated as a god, or killed on the spot as a stealer of souls. Either way, the concept of image capture is foreign to those people, and they rationalize it as "magic"

Similar to us, that we rationalize "miracles", and other such phenomena as the act of a god. It is most likely the result of a branch of science we do not yet know about.

In the end, there is nothing mystical about mysticism. Most of the world religions are founded on folk tales which evolved into legends. Most of their stories can be explained away with valid research and scientific discussion, and those that cannot, evenutally will. 300 years ago, no one knew, (or cared) why the Red Sea was reported to part for Moses. Now it is almost a certain fact that the passages in some sections of the Dead Sea scrolls were mis-translated, and that in fact the Israelite slaves probably crossed over a shallow swamp near the present-day Suez Canal.

But in the end, I guess you could say I'm just a realist, I know that in the end, there is some sort of rationally provable explanation behind all that happens to us.

I'm very impressed by this post...You took a very complicated explanation and truncated it into a concise and easily understandable argument- you're a smart guy! ;)

Guest endymion

Minimalist?

I never said anything about being a practicing minimalist.

And no. No, definitely not, Pod. I'm still not quite certain where your kitchen is.

Minimalist?

I never said anything about being a practicing minimalist.

And no. No, definitely not, Pod. I'm still not quite certain where your kitchen is.

not everyone has such a talented wife as you do to cook them up amazing dishes. You're so fortunate to have that....so fortunate- I eat out every meal, every day- im sick of it...i need a mate to show me the ropes- :'(

Guest endymion

not everyone has such a talented wife as you do to cook them up amazing dishes. You're so fortunate to have that....so fortunate

Oh don't think I don't know it. The cooking thing was just a bonus, I liked her cause she's real smart and HOT. Then she discovered that she can cook afterward, hey bonus!

I would like to point out that eating out every night is not such a bad thing when you live in NYC, Evan. Even if you're just talking about food.

Guest joeygk
not everyone has such a talented wife as you do to cook them up amazing dishes. You're so fortunate to have that....so fortunate- I eat out every meal, every day- im sick of it...i need a mate to show me the ropes- :'(

that's the stragest thing about nyc ---> everyone in nyc eats out everynight --- I had to stop eating out for breakfast b/c it was getting a bit out of control.