Clubplanet Nightlife Community

straight-edge rave scene anyone?

Guest HangTheDJ

Guest HangTheDJ

those of you who didn't read my thread about my plan to read the rave scene should. many people seem to agree with it, and many people seem to disagree, but a similar thing has been done before...the straight-edge punk movement is proof that a drug-free scene can be created.

my thread was entitled "my plan to save club and rave culture"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HangTheDJ

i'm open to response and criticism. tell me why not? check out my thread "my plan to save the rave and club scene." saleen, you already did, so i know ur opinion. and i am NOT backing down in this. i've found people who claim they are interested, and i will work with them. so if you are opposed, unless you come up with a REALLY good reason why not, that is based on intelligence, then your comments are useless.

Guest pod

Straight-edge punks had their own drug, namely beating the shit out of each other. Seriously. I did lighting at a straight-edge show up in WPB a few years ago and some fucktard nearly took out a bank of PARs on me when he threw his "friend" into it. I took appropriate action and introduced him to the business end of a mic stand. Unfortunately we were at the mercy of the venue's "security" since the promoter assured us they were good...security consisted of two skinny white boys on stage near the band.

Guest endymion

Yeah wow that's right about straightedgers. Let's all stay completely sober while we BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER!!!

No matter how you look at it, straigtedgers are a subculture. They have their sober anger thing that unites them. You throw an event for them, they beat each other up, it's just what they do.

Ravers are also a subculture. They have that getting-fucked-up-outdoors-with-friends-and-listening-to-loud-repetitive-electronic-music thing. If you throw an event for them then that's what they are doing to do.

Guest bcnjunkie

not to mention that ravers have that paranoic insecurity about letting anyone they don't know into their party for fear that they're undecorver and have that sketchy uncomfortable feeling, nasty !!!

Guest endymion

Can't say I've ever met any paranoid, closed-off ravers, but consider this: imagine ten people who would get excited about going out in the woods in the middle of the night and dancing around to loud electronic music completely sober. I don't personally know ten people like that but pretend you do and picture them all together in your head.

Do you really want to spend time with those people? Don't you have more useful things to do with your weekend? I sure as hell do.

Guest lyrik

Here's the problem with your idea - its been tried before. What raves have you have seen promoted explicitly as a pro-drug event? All raves always had the disclaimer of drug free bla blah blah at the bottom of the flyer and security checking shit at the door. IT DOES NOT MATTER - there are a hundred different ways to get drugs into a party, take them before or whatever. Just because you advertise or go in with the intent of drug-free doesn't mean a damn thing. I have seen it time and time again in multiple cities and states where rave culture was HUGE. Secondly you kill some of the numbers by taking too much of this drug-free stance because that is whay raves were popular - it was the exciting, scary and new element that kept it raw...but more importantly the economics of rave culture is simply not profitable, too high risk and the different cities, counties and states you will try to do this in all have differing legislation - but more often than not they are not open to these types of things because there is one simple notion behind it all and that is "potential". They feel regardless of how you promote it that there is always the greater potential for these events to have drugs than for them to not - regardless of security measures and the message you preach. KIDS simply do not care as a majority and even if you are able to pull off an event and break even the chances to get a consistent scene are slim and none. I see what you are trying to do and I realize sometimes its tough to face facts, but its not like it use to be 10 years ago - never will be again. In addition Florida's support for underground music is sketchy and varied and there is no community - just go check out one of these so called raves we have going off around here. There are no more warehouse partys that will have the attendance of 800 to 1500 people every weekend anymore - I know I lived that life for a long time during the height of the scene in the early 90's and watched the kids, the drugs, shady people and money hungry promoters kill it off and its just evolution. Cops got smarter - rich kiddies were swallowing their tongues - kids dying - its ova! The best you can hope in terms of a real rave is a once a year big event sponsered by real firms and thats about it.

Guest AlanS

Werd...it ran its course already...and for better or for worse its over, and I honestly do not believe it can or will ever be the same again.

Guest jbit

I know I lived that life for a long time during the height of the scene in the early 90's and watched the kids, the drugs, shady people and money hungry promoters kill it off and its just evolution. Cops got smarter - rich kiddies were swallowing their tongues - kids dying - its ova!

You took the words right outta my mouth, its been done, let sleeping dogs lye.

Remember what happened when they tried to revive woodstock? Not saying thats what would happen here but pointing out that things dont always go as planned.

dude your focus is all wrong, all wrong. you're trying to take the focus off the drugs, but, idiot, what you're doing is KEEPING the focus on the drugs. start promoting events for the talent, the music, not the "lack of drugs" at the event. you, like many of your predecesors, are completely misguided, and you're doing more harm than good. just stop talking about it.

learn the game, what's going on right now. then figure out what's coming next. that's the only way you're going to be successful. good luck to you, but you're going to have to throw out your (well-meaning) philosphy and start from scratch.

Guest cutchemist

Can't say I've ever met any paranoid, closed-off ravers, but consider this: imagine ten people who would get excited about going out in the woods in the middle of the night and dancing around to loud electronic music completely sober. I don't personally know ten people like that but pretend you do and picture them all together in your head.

Do you really want to spend time with those people? Don't you have more useful things to do with your weekend? I sure as hell do.

lmfao..... ;D