Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TOO OLD TO DJ?

i just started to dj a few months ago. im 19, gonna be 20 in november. i was wondering if anyone thinks this is too old to start? most of the other people i know that spin were in their early teens when they got started. So i was wondering what everyones opinion on this was. i guess im kinda bored and wanna start a topic, but im also kinda concerned that maybe i am trying to do this too late in my life.

and to all the dj's on the board, how old were you when u got started?

Thats not too old to start at all, actually its a good age because it'll be easier for you to learn to mix properly.

------------------

"Anybody can mix two records together but it takes a DJ to be able to do it creativley and make new sound out of that music" --A great wise man

"Spinning is like creating a new world in that room for that one night. You create a one night oblivion where nothing outside that room matters, all that matters is feeling the music and loving every second of it." --Another great wise man

Originally posted by xtcgspot:

how does being 19 make it any easier than any other age to mix beats?(which by the way, i feel i have gotten pretty good at in these first few months, hehe)

im wondering what ur reasoning behind that is? cuz i dont understand.

I've seen kids start at 15/16 and they sometimes have a more difficult time mixing beats and getting the timing. Sometimes they don't really understand 32's and starting mixes at certain spots in the song. I've also seen kids that young pick it up in two months which is really good. It depends on the person I guess but my point was from what I've seen if you start too young you have a more difficult time.

Just what I've seen though..... Good Luck!

------------------

"Anybody can mix two records together but it takes a DJ to be able to do it creativley and make new sound out of that music" --A great wise man

"Spinning is like creating a new world in that room for that one night. You create a one night oblivion where nothing outside that room matters, all that matters is feeling the music and loving every second of it." --Another great wise man

It takes most new york city dj's to make it to new york or a main floor at least 5 to 10 years according to every single professional Dj I have met..

Im only 18 and I got lucky to be in New York, alot of hard work, dedication, keeping my mouth shut in the most heated of arguments and backstabbings, never fucking any of my promoters over, and just playing very very hard.

Im just trying to enjoy what I have now, cause it may dissapear in a matter of a month who knows?

Thanks again to my Promotional Team for pushing my name out at Club Exit the best that can.. and what they are going to do.. you guys are the best.. and definately got me started.

There is alot of unknown bedroom talent yet to be discovered, never get discouraged and be safe with whatever you do..

Investment is also a big thing, I have dropped thousands and thousands of dollars on equipment, and having the best of the best equipment sometimes does help improve your mentallity and skills.. it pushes you a little more.

Good Luck! smile.gif

Justin Higgins

------------------

Resident DJ @ Club Exit's Red Room.

Patience is a virtue... and that I have learned!

you are never too old to start something you love...

and, early 20's is def a baby in regards to DJ ages...

All the really big timers are at LEAST 30... The youngest person who I can think of that is pretty blown up is Richie Santana and he's 25...

smile.gif

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

5/26 - Sin, Albany

6/9 - Deep, LI

6/10 and every Monday to follow - Liquid, LI

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

I started when i was 19, and i have made worlds of progress in the past year, to the point where i am confident to play for any crowd. If you are dedicated to the music and you want to do something about it, then it doesnt matter how old you are. It just matters where your mind is.

BG

------------------

Underground will live forever baby!!..We just like ROACHES....we never die...always livin!

Ok here's the deal you are never too old to start DJing... Although the more experience you have the better chance you have at getting a main floor or room.. I started mobile work for private parties when I was 15 I am now 28... Sal Parm I knew when he was doing private parties at 15 and house parties with Richie Santana.. They are now 25... Sal Parm was doing private parties up until 2 years ago after he released his Blondie and Cyndi lauper Remixes.. My advice if you wanna spin go for it... But do it full stride with thre right equipment

i heard from a professor that as you reach your twenties, it is more difficult for your brain to accustom itself to learning a new hobby, such as playing a sport or perhaps even djing. Look at how many bad golfers there are out there. Anyway, as long as you have a musical background or can think in beats and measures, you will be fine.