Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn: ClubNYCer's Would anyone goto an AfterHours club in Jersey

We need to get some opinions and/or suggestions - Not Drama - I'm working on opening a place in North Jersey. If I go with a liqour license I will not do After Hours. If I don't go with the license I will do after hours. I'm just trying to see what people might think of the idea. Myself and my 2 partners already have a lease and are in the works. We just want to if it would be worth it. Opening should be around October.

Guest crystalmethodny

Chris,

I'd go with the liqour license and close at 4am... liqour generates revenue, which is what you'll need to keep that club alive and kicking. Good luck.

-CM

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

Go with out the liquor license.Just have the after hours,you can charge for soda,juice and water.New Jersey is way overdue for an after hours spot.Since your just starting out,try it first,if it does'nt work out then go for the license.

------------------

Anthony

Where in North Jersey. Im possitive that most towns in N Jersey have town ordiances allowing clubs to stay open no longer than 3. dont you think clubs like Metro, soungarden,Life,Abyss,and Hunka Bunka would if they could.Go with the liquer alot more money.

do you have a liquor liscense available to you in this instance? many towns in jersey have NONE available, unless already existing at a location. there are ordinances as to how far you can move a LL from its original lacation to boot. as you know, the simple rule of supply and demand... if there arent many available, they will cost large sums of dollars. just in case you didnt know...

as far as an after hours, i dont know the laws on it round here (im from your area), but if done right im cerain it would be welcomed openly. although you realise the pigs are gonna bust in every other weekend on drug raids, not to mention the insurance!!

anyway, some food for thought, keep me updated

peace

------------------

conflict is what i predict...

go with liquor cuz it gets more money? SO much for the music. I say go w/o liquor and have a creative juice bar. Where in Jersey?

email me

rpence@stevens-tech.edu

depending on what you're doing I'd like to help out and I know a town I really want to see prosper. I havea building in mind for a venue if you don't already have something going.

Yup you would have to check the town your planning on building in. For example Hunka bunka has to shut down i think by 2 or something. Its the law. All these stinking towns in jersey have these types of laws cause all old people control that. Thats actually a large part why there is no after hours places.

If you don't have a liquor license you won't last.

WOW - Keep the replies coming - The owner of the place we are getting involved with has a liqour license and we are working with the owner on it. He can/will be a silent partner. NJ State Law and Town oridance with a liqour license forbids you to stay open past 2:00am in this town - without the license you can stay open until whenever - However it cannot be a nuisance. Considering it is a commercial piece of property with no houses around it won't be a nuisance.

Liqour License you can make good money.

No Liqour License you can make good money if it's done right.

At this time I do not want to disclose any info on where it is just in case. I will tell you one thing, I have been in the club scene for about 12 years, and my one partner about 17 years. Our other partner is one of NYC's biggest Architects. and we are way over due to do something for the Clubgoers. It's not going to be about Money - Money - Money. We seriously at the same time want to enjoy ourselves and our cutomers. That's why I came to the board to see what you guys/gals think.

Thanks - Chris

PS - Tempkid you might know who I am.

[This message has been edited by djchris (edited 07-13-2000).]

As mentioned above, I would go with the liq. license. Your right when you say that an after hours club could generate revenue if done right, but outside factors usually don't allow the owners/promoters to run it right. If you start getting busy, even as you say, with no houses around, people will complain about traffic coming in, other owners will wonder why people come w/o liquor, and the cops will be all over in no time. If you would like to sustain cash flow for a longer period of time, go with the alcohol and run/promote it correctly and keep putting money back into it and you will do well.

Most towns in jersey will not allow a afterhours party.

As somebody who knows northern jersey the chances of any place w/o liquor making it in the area are slim.

you said you aint out to make lots of money but i know you dont wanna lose money.

i know people who work at probally the best club in jersey drama in fairview and even when they had eddie baez and denny tsettos the still where having trouble filling the place up jersey is run by old people and the young people just want to leave and go to the city so good luck but be carefull

------------------

music is an escape from reality-----------

I think most who have replied to this post are missing the point. I believe what Chris is asking is...Would NJ/NY be interested in an after hours club in Jersey. My answer to that would be...Hell Yes. Has it been done before or done right...NOPE! If you build it Chris they will come!

------------------

When it's all said and done, we've still got the music.

Chris what the fuck is up. I know who the hell you are I had A feeling it was you. I know you can do this right because you have the dg skills and your partner has talent in the bussines and knows all the right people.Let me no if I can help you with anything.Peace out,by the way Eric let me borrowed your vol 5 cd it was some good shit you know who I am now dont blow my cover.

DJ chris,

You may not know me, but I know you and I am a big fan of your music. I am best friends with tempkid. I just want to say that even though an after hours club in North Jersey can be successful if its managed right, I believe requiring the liquor license would be your best move. The benefits of a liquor license out weighs its disadvantages and in the long run a liquor license always proves to last longer than an after hours scenario. Keep me posted and good luck!

I think the new game is to figure out who DJ Chris is...

Lets see, NJ DJ/producer, has partners in the NY scene...

Anyone? Anyone?

parish

BTW-Its all about the afterhours. My question is how do you do it right?, since that seems to be everyones advice.

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone. With this type of response and the responses after this, it's gonna help us to see which angle we can hit this at. Some of you are friends and most I don't know. When the time comes we will advertise and post on ClubNYC too. I'm saving the names of everyone who replies for if and when we open for personal invites for Grand Opening party. My e-mail address will be posted at later date. Keep the feedback coming it helps.

PS - My one partener hit the board and he has seen the responses. He thinks it's great to see different views from everyone. Especially he's fom NYC.

i'm not from nj and its too far for me to venture to(from long island) so i'm not really sure how well the place would do... but w/ regards to an afterhours spot outside of the city, i think that is a great idea. I know there are times when i dont' feel like drving treking it in to the city but wish there was an afterhours spot closer to home... one that didn't require me to drive 45 minutes or and hour (only when theres traffic or its like 30)to get home after the night/day is over.

if you end up going through w/ this afterhours in jersey, bring it to the island next biggrin.gif

-Rob

------------------

"And thus they give the time, that Nature meant

For peaceful sleep and meditative snores,

To ceaseless din and mindless merriment

And waste of shoes and floors."

I find pesonally that if there is a kick ass DJ around, I'm there. Let's see I work at 7am and I was at Richie Hawtin 2 Wednesdays ago, and at the Limelight this past Thursday. So if you bring some DJ's closer to home I would be very thankful. Plus i would save some gas money!! I know that there is a crew over here in Jersey- I'm right across the lake from you. Not to mention there is lots of talent, too. The D-n-B is slammin', But I really believe that in order to get people..you need to get some names. Let's see, not too long ago we had Tommy Tunes in Dover and the turn out was pretty good. The Venue was sweet, but there was no LL and it was a very young crowd. I'm getting real personal here but I am 25 and if there was a place around here that I could go and not feel so "old" I would be right there. So I guess what I'm trying to say is either go w/ the LL or get the names!

skeemr4 - Yes that is me - Obsessions though isn't that small 800p capacity with about a 1,000 through the door, small compared to NYC. I left there in Nov after 10 years, to pursue this. If anyone is wondering who I am I'll give the names of the clubs I had a residency at: Jimmy's, Obsessions, MadHouse, Plum Crazy, but did guess spots at alot of other places. To get off that subject though -

When the time comes we will talk with people we know that are promoter's and DJ's, and people that posted to this reply looking for work. Work that's gonna take alotta work. We do see alot of potential in both ways of going about this. Once again Thank you to everyone, I like to see what other people think. CC

Yeah it would be a great idea. Is it likely, NO! But all in all I would like to see more places with more options begin opening up. It has to be unique and it has to be something different every time or it will get old. Unless you have JP spinning there or another big name.

Variety, unique, and slammin' beats are all you need. From there just start the flyers!

Hrmm.. the question would be, could you get enough people to come to an after hours in NJ. Now, figure, ALOT of people go to NYC for clubbing (and most of the NJ clubs suck anyway). So.. are they gonna want to come BACK to NJ for an afterhours... or are they gonna just want to do the Diner/Coffeeshop kinda thing after clubbing? Are people who went clubbing gonna wanna go somewhere else afterward...

Liquor License is a pain... and then you're just another club on the market...

No liqour license, open after-hours is probably MORE of a pain... cops.. "nuisance laws", the times you can stay open, drug stings, parking problems, noise problems, crowd problems... traffic to and from the club.. (don't forget, you may have a nice isolated commercial property in a commercial zone where its empty late at nite.. but do people have to go thru residential sections to get there? will they be driving drunk at 3am from the club to go to your place? parking,speed traps, vehicle traffic thru town, noise, crowds etc again...) and how small a town is it.. they probably won't want to have to have an all-night venue, which means they may need extra cops on duty to cover the venue, etc...

all night during the week... will enough people come to keep it open...

age problems...if its non-alcoholic, do you let in any age... but then the cops won't want young/teenage kids hanging out... or do you keep it over 18? over 21? fights... can you provide good, responsible security inside AND outside... or will too many people be "hanging around" in the parking lot, etc... coffee bar? juice bar? how about food? are people gonna want to spend lots of money (enough to keep you in the green) in an afterhours club?

not to play devil's advocate...Just alot of stuff to keep in mind no matter what you decide.

If you need help with design, security, and/or Especially with LIGHTING (design and a lighting "jockey") for the club (you will of course have music i assume)... keep me posted too...

sethboy@home.com or sethboi2k@aol.com in case home.com disconnects me LoL

good luck