Clubplanet Nightlife Community

progressive house vs. trance

I know there are many Twilo peeps on the board. And many Exit and SF people as well.

Alls cool, but I'm trying to settle a debate. Is progressive house better than trance?? it seems to be growing strong. Dont get me wrong. Sasha and Mr.D. are the shit. but can they make you get up off your ass and run to the dance floor like some lesser known dj's. I always seem to float when I listen to trance any just feel the music. I love that. But dancing is still my 1st love...

peace, love, and double stacked zorros!!

define trance - I'm assuming deep trance, eg, the stuff S&D start with around 3am or so. Cuz after about 5am its all about hard progressive trance/progressive house with some breakbeat mixed in.

Other sub-genres of trance - hard trance, goa trance, progressive trance, etc.

If you think goa(psych) trance/hard trance is slower than progressive house, you're in for a rude shock!!

------------------

"I would believe only in a god who could dance."

Nietzche

i love them both....That's what I base my style on, a variety, some hard house, some prog. trance, some chiller trance, ... One's not really better than the other, and a lot of songs overlap both genres....

I hear what your sayin, though, I have to say Jonathon Peters/Tony Draper get me FIRED UP...then again, so does Carl Cox with his style, which is neither one (as well as a little of each)...Some Trance DJs (PVD) do cause people to rush the dancefloor and rage, though...There is a wide range of songs under the terms "trance" and "house", I see no need for people to be so divided about it, after all, they are so similar (compared to other types of music - pop, alternative, r&b, rap, etc)....Last week- Lawler, this week Seb, 3 weeks- JP, its all good shit....

There are different genres of Trance...hard, goa, acid etc. Hard trance is actually faster than progressive house. Personally I think House has no feeling or emotion like trance does. I also think trance is more intelligent...house can get very montonous & boring. I love progresive & hard trance but when it comes to dancing I like HARD HARD pounding basslines (picotto, scott project, carl cox). To each his own cwm9.gif

i like house music more than trance but it all depends on the mood one is in! cwm12.gif

------------------

"your traveling to another dimension a dimension not only in sight and sound but of mind a journey into a wondrous land whos boundaries are that of imagination your next stop the twilight zone." athenalust@hotmail.com

I agree Tyco. It really is hard to put a label on the tracks that Sasha and Digweed spin. But, suppose, for the moment, that you are writer for a DJ magazine who's responsibility is to describe what Sasha and Digweed actually play. You need to be more specific than simply "SND music". Well, then I think you need to come up with genres to describe the shifts in the music from when Digweed hits the decks around 2 until 10AM. So, here's my 2 cents:

Stage 1: Deep and dark rolling house with possible tribal elements and some various percussion.

Stage 2: Sasha's ethereal transition to lighter trance with consistent, hard backbeats.

Stage 3: Progressive house begins to supercede the softer trance.

Stage 4: Progressive trance explodes early in the morning and Twilo becomes a dog fight. Close your eyes, you can hear indistinguishable voices, 2 basslines, a water dropping into a pond, and a razor cutting squelch. This is complete chaos.

Stage 5: Gradually bring the music back to Stage 3 and start throwing in funky, experimental tracks to end the night.

In this stage, there might be one or two

tracks left over from stage 4 but this is

basically the end of the SND night.

Digweed.

------------------

4 9 7 23 5 5 4

I think it's a lost cause to try and classify S&D's music.......yea, they spin progressive house and trance but I think it is the way they manipulate them that makes those two the best DJ duo........I like to just call it "S&D".......simply cause they're not the typical trance or progressive house DJs......it's really another level of DJing......

Considering trance vs progressive house, I think trance generally has more energy, especially epic trance like PVD......but I can't sleep on progressive house.......like when it gets quiet in the club and the DJ slowly pieces the song back together ending with the beat kicking in out of nowhere.......I don't mean after a long drum roll like in most hard house but actually where you least expect it.........to the point where you need to say "Holy Shit!".......I notice it most during S&D sets and it blows me away everytime........

Anyhow, since I can't seem to have the ability to explain what I mean too well, try the last 35/40 seconds of track 11 into 12 on Sasha's GU San Francisco CD 1........that why I think Sasha is so talented and why progressive house(if that) holds it's own to trance.......

Mikey

------------------

"The silent dog is the first to bite..." - me

I used to be all about House. But in the past couple of years I've really grown a love for trance. When I'm dancing I think Trance can take me away so much more easily than house (if house can at all). Progressive or hard trance is the shit. It's the best of both world to me:

I get the fat beats to get my footwork going to and then the beautiful melody for the rest of my body to groove to. On top of all that it just penetrates my brain and brings me on a trip. I guess you could call me a Trancehead!!!! cwm32.gif

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

GETTING HIGH, PRICELESS!!

just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. I feel completely differently about the intelligence of the two genres. Trance is rather kind of dumb music that panders to the lowest common denominator of listener. It's why it's so easy to enjoy. There's little to no thinking required to appreciate it.

Take the other extremes - techno let's say. There are very few initiates to electronic music who can hear a hard techno track and say "Wow, what a great song". But techno is generally the style people lean toward after years of exposure to electronic music. You learn to appreciate the nuance. It's real thinking music. I find a lot of Jungle is the same way.

You cannot ask the question what style of music is better. That just leads to pointless debate based strictly on sentiment.

Personally I'd rather hear what aspects of certain styles people find enjoyable.