Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Serious Post

Just started my first graduate IT class at Columbia U. last night and already am bitching big time. Got this Indian professor she gots this huge accent, can not undrstand WTF she is saying half the time. I mean, we are paying big bucks for this shit, you would think they would hire english speaking professors. Here's an example; she broached the topic of 'fallen objects', we were like WTF is a 'fallen object'. Took us a few minutes to realize she meant 'foreign' objects. Seriously, to qualify as an instructor, is it too much to ask for good communication skills? Arghhhh.

------------------

Sticks and Stones may break my bones..but..words..can't..hurt..meeeee...

so there

I took a speech (presentation) class. The whole fucking thing was about annunciation, voice projection, yadi, yadi,.........

My teacher was right off the boat from Hungry, couldn't understand what the fuck she was saying. IRONIC

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

GETTING HIGH, PRICELESS!!

Yes. Especially at the graduate level, where professors are expected to be the top of their field, no matter of their origins. I would rather expand my learning abilities in a course taught by a genius with an accent than let my mind rot in a class taught by a dense anglophone. Hell, most Ivy League undergrad education, you don't get taught by a prof but once or twice a semester - it's all TAs - and you spend damn good money on that education, too!

Now if the prof is unintelligible AND poor in the subject, then you have a beef.

------------------

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Guest crystalmethodny

Hi,

Just a piece of advice, because I remember those days and I had some classes in which my professors were difficult to understand and translate.

They are truly intelligent and very helpful, if asked. Don't take college for granted, and the fact that it does cost a lot of money should warrant you to either raise your hand and ask nicely to repeat it again, or go after the class and discuss it with your professor. 9 times out of 10, he or she will smile and appreciate the nice way of putting it, which will also grant you good standing, knowing that you care for the lecture.

Its just advice, its how I looked at it... considering I was a major slacker in college and only went to 50% of my classes anyway, had to make an impression while I was there wink.gif

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

"I think of you, how I used to do on Sunday Afternoons."

www.extremegroove.com

At least your professor is not sexually pre-occupied. I am taking this bio class, the teacher (last night) was explaining cell interactions and then he said "you can call it cell masturbation" . I almost fell of my chair when he said it. Also, he was talking about testasterone...so this is what he said " if you dont have enough of it, your penis wont grow and of course you wouldnt want that"...I am thinking I ll have great time in this class.

------------------

GrowingSunFlower.gif

Originally posted by crystalmethodny:

Hi,

Just a piece of advice, because I remember those days and I had some classes in which my professors were difficult to understand and translate.

They are truly intelligent and very helpful, if asked. Don't take college for granted, and the fact that it does cost a lot of money should warrant you to either raise your hand and ask nicely to repeat it again, or go after the class and discuss it with your professor. 9 times out of 10, he or she will smile and appreciate the nice way of putting it, which will also grant you good standing, knowing that you care for the lecture.

Its just advice, its how I looked at it... considering I was a major slacker in college and only went to 50% of my classes anyway, had to make an impression while I was there wink.gif

That's sooo funny, my ole lady said the EXACT same thing last night. She said be respectful and ask her nicely what she meant. Guess you guys are nicer and have more tolerance than I do. Since I don't want an F, this is wise advice.

------------------

Sticks and Stones may break my bones..but..words..can't..hurt..meeeee...

so there

i know what your sayin' i agree w/ u. i think especially at the college level teachers should know the english language very well and students shouldn't have to figure out what the teacher is sayin' we have enough problems already. i had that problem my senior yr. in h.s. (last yr.) my math teacher was a joke...as soon as we heard him speak we were like wow this is gonna be an interesting 6 mons. needless to say he was fired! cwm24.gif

------------------

"your traveling to another dimension a dimension not only in sight and sound but of mind a journey into a wondrous land whos boundaries are that of imagination your next stop the twilight zone." athenalust@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by starcapone (edited 01-17-2001).]

if you were to get someone who

1) has good communication skills

2) knows their shit

3) is not working for big $$$ with some global company

then you would pay even bigger bucks. its a huge problem in the high tech training/educational field these days. its part of the reason why college, especially graduate work, is moving towards obsolescence (tho i dont mean its currently obsoluete-- a graduate degree in IT will give you a huge jump on your field. GL.)

------------------

i love music!

Originally posted by bungee:

That's sooo funny, my ole lady said the EXACT same thing last night. She said be respectful and ask her nicely what she meant. Guess you guys are nicer and have more tolerance than I do. Since I don't want an F, this is wise advice.

niceness and tolerance can be developed - aren't you glad you posted? see how much we can learn from each other, even on a clubbing website? you gotta love it! i predict you'll make a big, fat A+!

cwm17.gif

Well i think its real important for the teacher to be able to speak clearly,I mean an accent is okay, but if its too strong, then it would be hard to understand. Most college classes i took , the professors never wrote on the board, so they spoke all the time, now imagine trying to understand and write down notes. I know i would be frustrated if i dont understand. I am not knocking down accents, cause i have one too, i wasnt born here, but if the accent is way too strong and ppl dont understand u, then yes it is a problem when u r a professor.

------------------

aim: amafrk1

amafrk1@yahoo.com