Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what books are u reading right now

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by nessalove:

On my list are 1984 (yeah the one I managed to avoid reading in highschool) Brave New World and Virgin Suicides. Totally looking for new suggestions though so keep em coming! cwm15.gif

that's funny , brave new world is next on my list too.

cwm12.gif

------------------

GrowingSunFlower.gif

ill take a good book over the tellie any time, just actually came back from barnes n noble coupla hours ago and picked this up "The Mystery of the Aleph: mathematics, the Kabalah, and the search for Infinity" by Amir D.Aczel , i read like 20 pages already and this book is unreal, if any of u heard the song "Fabionacci Sequence" by BT , the song will actually make sense if u read some of the shit here, if u notice the song builds up and follows a sequence almost fabionacci like, i never noticed this before 1+1=2,1+2=3,2+3=5,5+3=8...., this book explains how Jewish mysticism "Kabalah" influences a number of advanced mathematical theories including a true infinite number and basic principles behind natural ratios of nature and other stuff including the chaos theroy. its not boring though like math books are, it has fascinating stories dating back to ancient greece and rome, great shit! also last book i read was Scott Ritter, "Endgame", excellent, a true story of Iraq's chemical arsenal, njoy kidz!

------------------

- elegance is never out of style -

ill take a good book over the tellie any time, just actually came back from barnes n noble coupla hours ago and picked this up "The Mystery of the Aleph: mathematics, the Kabalah, and the search for Infinity" by Amir D.Aczel , i read like 20 pages already and this book is unreal, if any of u heard the song "Fabionacci Sequence" by BT , the song will actually make sense if u read some of the shit here, if u notice the song builds up and follows a sequence almost fabionacci like, i never noticed this before 1+1=2,1+2=3,2+3=5,5+3=8...., this book explains how Jewish mysticism "Kabalah" influences a number of advanced mathematical theories including a true infinite number and basic principles behind natural ratios of nature and other stuff including the chaos theroy. its not boring though like math books are, it has fascinating stories dating back to ancient greece and rome, great shit! also last book i read was Scott Ritter, "Endgame", excellent, a true story of Iraq's chemical arsenal, njoy kidz!

------------------

- elegance is never out of style -

Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Passos...so far it's ehhhh alright. Virgin Suicides is a v. good book, as is anything by Ayn Rand. Also rec. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpha Lahari & Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thorton Wilder (or any of his plays)...great stuff smile.gif

------------------

=)

I'm regressing right now and rereading my favorite book from childhood..."Tuck Everlasting."

Great book if anyone hasn't read it.

-Oo

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"Solitude gives birth to the original in us, beauty unfamiliar and perilous - to poetry." - Thomas Mann

Im reading: "Excuse, Your Life is Waiting",

--the astonishing power of feelings by lynn grahbhorn

not a novel, a metaphysics/new age book

It's about the Law of Attraction and how what we focus on.."feel"..is what we get in life.---my guidebook for 2001

Originally posted by nessalove:

On my list are 1984 (yeah the one I managed to avoid reading in highschool) Brave New World and Virgin Suicides. Totally looking for new suggestions though so keep em coming! cwm15.gif

Did you see the movie "Virgin Suicides'? I read the book first then saw the movie and the movie was disappointing. You will enjoy the book

'we regret to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families' - about the genocide in rwanda in the 1990s

'black hawk down' - about the american intervention in somalia

'interpreter of maladies' - a collection of stories with an indian influence

'the journey to the west' - the classic chinese tale of the journey of tripitaka and his monkey disciple to retrieve buddhist scriptures from india

'speak, memory' - vladimir nabokov's autobiography

i'd recommend all of these - the ones about the so called civilised governments involvements in world affairs are particularly enlightening.

------------------

* i love sex always and forever *

and they tell me that women grow on trees

and if you catch them right they will land upon their knees

Originally posted by ReginaP:

Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Passos...so far it's ehhhh alright. Virgin Suicides is a v. good book, as is anything by Ayn Rand. Also rec. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpha Lahari & Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thorton Wilder (or any of his plays)...great stuff smile.gif

I read Interpreter of Melodies, great book.

If you enjoy reading about India you should definately read "A fine balance" . Sorry, i dont remember who wrote it, but that book is great.

------------------

GrowingSunFlower.gif

have about 50 pages left to go on the fountainhead - haven't read atlas shrugged though. They are some pretty chunky books.

I just ordered something from amazon, but forgot what it was. ;-) Hope I like it.

Originally posted by orchid21:

wlol Really good book. Read Fountainhead afterwards <-- I liked that one a lot, thought Atlas Shrugged is more popular.

------------------

DM

Some good choices above...I'm currently reading 'Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett...Just finished 'Small Gods' by the same and 'the Master and Margerita' by Mikhail Bulgakov...Best lately though was 'Motherless Brooklyn' by Jonathan Lethem...If you're from Brooklyn, you'll love it, if you're not, there's still hope...

Originally posted by perfecto25:

if any of u heard the song "Fabionacci Sequence" by BT, the song will actually make sense if u read some of the shit here, if u notice the song builds up and follows a sequence almost fabionacci like, i never noticed this before 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 5+3=8....

perfecto! i love the fibonacci sequence! i need to get this BT song! math majors get off on the oddest shit. wink.gif you know this sequence was found b/c this mathematician was basically watching rabbits get it on, and then observing how many babies they produced? strange.. also.. pine cones, follow this pattern..

but anyway, i also finished off Valley of the Dolls by Susann. it was ok.

i also finished this young adults book called, "Smack", which is about heroin addiction. good light reading!

i'm starting divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood by rebecca wells.. i have no clue what this is about. smile.gif

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

kitty_cat.gif

To all of you that are going to read BRAVE NEW WORLD, just finished it, great book!!

Celestine Prophecy, by James Redfield - awsome uplifting open minded reading. I'm reading Tom Wolfe, Man in Full, right now, it's looking good. Tom Wolfe is the man, if anyone here is into the Grateful Dead and all that stuff, read his book Electric Koolaid Acid Test, it's all about Ken Kesey and all the Beat Generation people and hippi's and all the drugging that went on,it's like reading an acid trip! Oh and while we are on the Beat Generation, Jack Kerouac, On the Road (everyone should read this) or Dr. Saxx all of Kerouacs books are awesome, if your into music and history. Ok I'm done rambling, I agree GREAT THREAD, we need more like this one.

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

GETTING HIGH, PRICELESS!!