Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anti-Asian Discrimination at Exit

Pass it along to anyone who spends time in the NYC area…

Friends on the night of January 6, 2001, I went to Exit to celebrate my friend's birthday party. I was with three females and one other Asian male. We waited in line for about 45 minutes. When we got to the front, the bouncer denied us entrance and refused to give us an explanation. Five minutes later, we noticed another group of Asians/Asian Americans being asked to leave the line as well. We decided to ask another bouncer what was going on. The bouncer looked at me and my friend, and explained to us that they were not admitting any Asian males into the club while the police were in the area due to recent drug trafficking allegations involving Asian males. That is why we weren't allowed into the club. I am writing to all of you to inform you about Exit's discriminatory policy against Asians and Asian Americans. My experience at Exit was a blatant act of racial discrimination and racial profiling, both violations under the Civil Right Act of 1964, as well as state and city laws on human rights. I refuse to be silent and complacent about racial injustices committed against our community. As Americans, I ask all of you and your friends not to endorse Exit for future social activities and/or corporate events. To do otherwise would be contrary to all that our country stands for If this has happened to you or your friends at Exit before, do not be quiet. Let Exit management know that you will no longer tolerate racism at the club. Send letters to the primary owner of Exit, Mr. David Saff. I have included his mailing address below. Mr. David Saff Exit 610 West 56th St. New York, NY 10019-3512 Additionally, exercise your rights by filing formal complaints with the New York State Division of Human Rights and the New York City Commission on Human Rights. These agencies are funded by your tax dollars and exist for the sole purpose of protecting your civil rights under New York City and New York State law. Only five or more similar complaints about the same instance and/or business is enough to warrant an investigation by the city or state authorities. Know that just a little bit of effort can have a profound effect on ensuring that this doesn't happen again. I have included the proper mailing and web site addresses for these agencies:

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/cchr/html/how_to.html Commission on Human Rights 40 Rector Street, New York, NY 10006 Main telephone number: (212) 306-7500 http://www.nysdhr.com/complaints.html New York State Division of Human Rights 20 Exchange Place, 2nd Floor New York, New York 10005 Telephone No. (212) 480-2522

Please forward this e-mail to as many interested parties as possible. Everyone should be aware of about the racial discrimination that exists in our neighborhoods, and what we can do to get rid of it. Discrimination is the first step to a hate crime. Education is the first step to preventing one.

Fuck Exit... fuck Exit... I'm definitely in...

For those that ever said Exit is a great... take a hard look at that fucking club...

Music blows, lights get flashed in your face, obnoxious juiceheads, and now fucking racism...

Well, guess what, we got laws now against this shit... cwm23.gifcwm23.gifcwm23.gif

------------------

Relax, it was just a dream... you're awake now and your nightmares will begin...

caveman.gif

exit does suck, but I don't think ur going to close a nightclub on a civil rights issue. People can die or get caught with a shit load drugz or whatever and they still won't close it down. They can do this because this iz the least of their worries. If u do not agree with me than do something about it and prove me wrong. I'd be friggen surprised.

Originally posted by a691vcc:

exit does suck, but I don't think ur going to close a nightclub on a civil rights issue. People can die or get caught with a shit load drugz or whatever and they still won't close it down. They can do this because this iz the least of their worries. If u do not agree with me than do something about it and prove me wrong. I'd be friggen surprised.

unfortunately I think he's right. The city and state agencies are so f***** up that by the time anything of substance happens you'll be way over Exit. Good luck anyhow!

For all those EXIT haters myself included. Why don't you just let

it go! Why would anybody waste their time and energy dealing with

that bullshit? Okay so you get a lawyer, you go to court every two weeks for a

year, you get some shitty settlement which half goes to your lawyer. Then they

let you back in some shitty club that clearly doesn't want you there

so WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANNA BE THERE? All this politically correct shit

is garbage. We all get oppressed and offended and rejected discriminated against from

time to time. LET IT GO, MOVE ON. Stop whining and crying about

everything that doesn't go your way.

[This message has been edited by visions (edited 01-23-2001).]

2 comments

1) how can EXIT be racist to asians, when I see MORE THAN A TON in there...

and

2) last friday, i saw THREE asian kids getting arrested for drug trafficing, maybe they do have a righ to be a little stereotypical. why do people get so mad with stereotypes? becuas ea stereotype is normally somewhat true...

but then again there were TONS AND TONS OF asians everytime im at exit, so why ar eyou complaining, and its David Marvici not David Saff.

he has so much money he would laugh at your comments, laugh at the press, and laugh at the cops... its just another day in clubland for him.

------------------

"a mind stretched by new dimensions can never be the same again"

Originally posted by visions:

For all those EXIT haters myself included. Why don't you just let

it go! Why would anybody waste their time and energy dealing with

that bullshit? Okay so you get a lawyer, you go to court every two weeks for a

year, you get some shitty settlement which half goes to your lawyer. Then they

let you back in some shitty club that clearly doesn't want you there

so WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANNA BE THERE? All this politically correct shit

is garbage. We all get oppressed and offended and rejected discriminated against from

time to time. LET IT GO, MOVE ON. Stop whining and crying about

everything that doesn't go your way.

[This message has been edited by visions (edited 01-23-2001).]

i see your point to a certain degree. definitely some merit, but overall, i would have to disagree with you. it has nothing to do with being politically correct and everything to do with what america was built on. In the constitution it states that "each man is created equal." and yes, it may appear as "whining" to some, but would we be the strong country we are today had Lincoln not listened to the "whining" (of that day) of people abhorrent to slavery? or should we have just stuck with the status quo of "established" society when MLK fought discrimination and segregation not only for african americans, but for ALL minorities?

maybe you make these comments b/c you are not asian and it doesn't directly effect you... i dunno... regardless, racism effects ALL of us... if you recall american history, ALL cultures were the focus of discrimination at one point in american history. in fact, western europeans first came to north america to escape religious persecution. it's those people who chose to rise above the bigotry and hate that made america the greatest country in the world.

you're allowed to express your thoughts. that's fine. but i give props to prelude for going the extra mile of researching the ways in which we can try to do something about it. if you don't want to participate then fine, why add your useless 2 cents???

*steps off soapbox*

------------------

calvinan.gif

"Strangers are just friends waiting to happen." - Old Sage Twilo

I am in NO WAY supporting racial discrimination or racial profiling (and i cant stand EXIT anyway)...but i have a really hard time believing that the bouncer would tell you that they werent letting in asians ...EVEN IF THAT ACTUALLY WERE THE CASE WHICH IS VERY POSSIBLE...why the hell would he tell some schnook waiting in line

the f-cked up part of the whole thing is that the bouncers waited for the asians to get to the very front of the line only to deny them access... i guess they figured that it would of been better to have us wait for a half hr in the freezing cold to receive the f-cked up news then go up and down the line and just pick asians to get off the line...

of course, why would they do that? Exit doesn't want to look like they're discriminating against asians in front of others on the line... it's f-cked up when i saw all these asians without any sort of explanation on why they couldn't get in walking dumb fouded on the streets... did exit make them feel they weren't allowed in cause of there race?

uhm... yea i think so!

Originally posted by k_car:

i see your point to a certain degree. definitely some merit, but overall, i would have to disagree with you. it has nothing to do with being politically correct and everything to do with what america was built on. In the constitution it states that "each man is created equal." and yes, it may appear as "whining" to some, but would we be the strong country we are today had Lincoln not listened to the "whining" (of that day) of people abhorrent to slavery? or should we have just stuck with the status quo of "established" society when MLK fought discrimination and segregation not only for african americans, but for ALL minorities?

maybe you make these comments b/c you are not asian and it doesn't directly effect you... i dunno... regardless, racism effects ALL of us... if you recall american history, ALL cultures were the focus of discrimination at one point in american history. in fact, western europeans first came to north america to escape religious persecution. it's those people who chose to rise above the bigotry and hate that made america the greatest country in the world.

you're allowed to express your thoughts. that's fine. but i give props to prelude for going the extra mile of researching the ways in which we can try to do something about it. if you don't want to participate then fine, why add your useless 2 cents???

*steps off soapbox*

Okay first of all I'm jewish so don't try to come to me with that you don't understand shit! Second of all there is no such thing as useless cents or opinions. Just cause mine is different than yours doesn't mean it's useless. Third off how the hell you gonna compare slavery to a few kids not getting in a nightclub. Comon dude. How many freakin times you been denied to a club because your sneakers or your outfit? Paris has looked me right in the eyes and laughed. Do I give a fuck? Do I cry no, you come back again and try next week. When she lets you right in because she remembers you didn't make a big stink. Were talkin about nightclubs not your fuckin rights as a citizen. This shit is way too dramatic for me. I can appreciate that this kid did some research and does not wanna lay down to a night of racial profiling. But comon lose the sensitivity and racial complex.

My 2 cents and don't call that shit useless cause I'm arguing the facts.

stop the insanity!

man, only been to Exit once on a visit and thought the joint was flat. just give it up poeple.

on the racism side, nothing is going to happen. I work and a law firm and can tell you it would take a long time to shut that place down and you don't have a very good case. Most bouncers won't admit to racial profiling and the public doesn't much care anyways.

like a couple of people said before me, we all get discriminated against. Be it race, money we got or don't, age, looks, goes on and on. time to deal with it. And all these things that people caste us for, we all do the same when we see someone not like us.

~just my op.

------------------

embot.gif

Originally posted by tjspooky:

stop the insanity!

man, only been to Exit once on a visit and thought the joint was flat. just give it up poeple.

on the racism side, nothing is going to happen. I work and a law firm and can tell you it would take a long time to shut that place down and you don't have a very good case. Most bouncers won't admit to racial profiling and the public doesn't much care anyways.

like a couple of people said before me, we all get discriminated against. Be it race, money we got or don't, age, looks, goes on and on. time to deal with it. And all these things that people caste us for, we all do the same when we see someone not like us.

~just my op.

Thank you....

It's good to know that not all think my 2 cents is useless.

Originally posted by visions:

Okay first of all I'm jewish so don't try to come to me with that you don't understand shit! Second of all there is no such thing as useless cents or opinions. Just cause mine is different than yours doesn't mean it's useless. Third off how the hell you gonna compare slavery to a few kids not getting in a nightclub. Comon dude. How many freakin times you been denied to a club because your sneakers or your outfit? Paris has looked me right in the eyes and laughed. Do I give a fuck? Do I cry no, you come back again and try next week. When she lets you right in because she remembers you didn't make a big stink. Were talkin about nightclubs not your fuckin rights as a citizen. This shit is way too dramatic for me. I can appreciate that this kid did some research and does not wanna lay down to a night of racial profiling. But comon lose the sensitivity and racial complex.

My 2 cents and don't call that shit useless cause I'm arguing the facts.

if it isn't such a big deal to you, where do you draw the line . . .

when does it affect you that you would finally make a big deal about it, at a resturant, the movies, a cop pulling you over . . .

in the eyes of many it isn't a big deal . . .

to me, any form of discrimination no matter how big or small should not be tolerated . . .

and trust me, we deal with that shit everyday, including the racists on this fucking board . . .

this is clearly a question of right and wrong . . .

------------------

Life is too short to be small.

Originally posted by eggmok:

if it isn't such a big deal to you, where do you draw the line . . .

when does it affect you that you would finally make a big deal about it, at a resturant, the movies, a cop pulling you over . . .

in the eyes of many it isn't a big deal . . .

to me, any form of discrimination no matter how big or small should not be tolerated . . .

and trust me, we deal with that shit everyday, including the racists on this fucking board . . .

this is clearly a question of right and wrong . . .

I'm sorry that has been your experience. Your gonna whatever you think is right. I wish you the best of luck.

here we go again, the naiveness in this room is killing me. throwing down my money with visions.

anyways, I hear a lot of you telling me "no discrimination" should be tolerated. hello? knock on your head for me. thanks.

be real. the dude rolling up to the club in the porsche or just flashin some dough will get in before you. the hot chica will get comped her whole freakin life. the fat lady walking down the street is being made fun of by most in this room. nobody is walking around opening doors for my ass! I'm gonna work for it and help my buddies out along the way. that's it

------------------

embot.gif

Originally posted by spoonyd:

I don't want to cause shit. Personally I'm on the zero tolerance side of this debate.

But what about gay nights at clubs? No straights allowed, turned away at the door. Do y'all put that in the same category?

Just curious.

Good point kid, you can't escape discrimination. The best thing we can all do is make the best of it. And don't fight ignorance with ingorance. Obviously that night at the door that particular bouncer was an ignorant fuck! And like someone said before you walk into Exit and I would say the majority of the population in there is asian. Or at least a large portion. So let's not try to let one bad experience at night club bring us down to the point where your ready to make a lot of sacrifices over a silly little game of pride. I speak of all this because I think that if everyone lightened up a little bit and we all learned to communicate a little more we could avoid a lot of these situations.

it seems that the majority of you would prefer not to make a big deal of it . . .

to each his own . . .

just letting you know, if that happened to me i'd be raising hell . . .

i think it was socrates that descibed society as a cow . . .

totally oblivious to everything until a fly comes up and bites it on it's ass . . .

------------------

Life is too short to be small.