Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Oh My God (OMG)

Originally posted by dirtyslapper:

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Gark??

no, really, it does mean Ohmigod. doesn't it? oops! tee hee. anyone got a safety pin for my fly?

I know it "means"/stands for Oh My God...but what the fuck does it mean?

------------------

"The world is a better place because of those who refuse to believe they can't

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gifstickfigures.gif

uhhhh?????? don't you use "oh my god" as an expression in conversations at all? to signify shock, derision or amusement?? (or, as some imposters do, to take the piss out of certain female members of the board community??)

am I being dense here....?

Originally posted by dirtyslapper:

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Gark??

no, really, it does mean Ohmigod. doesn't it? oops! tee hee. anyone got a safety pin for my fly?

oh-em-gee is that happening to you too?

Gravity, we don't quite get your question...

Originally posted by cazz926:

Gravity, we don't quite get your question...

Take this for example...if someone were to tell you that they had a sex change operation...you might typically begin your response with "oh my god" However, my interest lies in knowing how the terms oh my god came to be understood in the vain that it is today...one of shock/disbelief/etc... Yes it is a saying/expression...but on what basis does it make sense?

------------------

"The world is a better place because of those who refuse to believe they can't

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gifstickfigures.gif

Originally posted by gravity:

Take this for example...if someone were to tell you that they had a sex change operation...you might typically begin your response with "oh my god" However, my interest lies in knowing how the terms oh my god came to be understood in the vain that it is today...one of shock/disbelief/etc... Yes it is a saying/expression...but on what basis does it make sense?

I'm guessing that it actaully started by people that believed in God, when they WERE actually surprised, but now is just typical filler...

I would have to say the statement began in the form of prayer. Examples:

1. Oh, my God, why have you foresaken us?

2. Oh, my God, please forgive me for I have sinned

These could be foreseen as statements of shock/disbelief. Examples:

1. OMG, what did we do to deserve this

2. OMG, I can't believe I did that, please forgive me

This is a statement that has been used through time. In alot of old war songs, hymns, prayers, etc. we can see this statement. Example:

Oh my God! what vengeful madness,

Brother against brother rise;

See them fall upon each other

Rage and hate flash in their eyes.

(Melody - Rosseau's Dream - 1861)

The title is from the dying words of a Federal Soldier on the Battle field of Manassas, 1861.

Again, a statement of shock/disbelief of someone who is looking to God for answers.

Does this make any sense?!?!?!

cwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gif

------------------

1006.gif

Let me give a crack at this. The phrase "My God" derived from the phrase "My Goodness" which was first stated as far back as 1800. The goodness was a euphemism for God back then. People back then were more religous then people here and when they were in shock or fright they often would call to God. But to say "MY God" was considered vain so they substitute it with "Goodness". Hence changing with time and coming into present with "Oh my god".

Is that more clear?

BlueAngel

------------------

"Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them." -John Updike

BlueAngellogo.jpg