Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cell phones+driving= tickets!

bodi

Tell that to the next person who gets fucking smashed by someone driving with one hand on the wheel 'cause the other driver is holding a phone in the other hand. That shit is mad dangerous... hands-free is the wtg, baby

-Mjr

------------------

In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of

only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

[This message has been edited by mjr203 (edited 02-07-2001).]

is that a primary to secondary ticketable offense? you can just get pulled over for using a cell phone while driving? or it's an added ticket if you're driving unsafely while talking on one?

I know Rockland County just decided against the law, as there are enough other reasons to pull someone over - tickets that come at a much higher price. And it's just another burden on an overworked court system...

------------------

Administrative Signature:

Admin1.gifAdmin2.gifAdmin3.gifAdmin4.gifAdmin5.gif

Same in NJ - tickets for the cell users. What pisses me off is that they always make big drama out of a handfull of cases. Come on, I bet there are going to be people who'll get into accidents with the hands free sets, and they will blame their inability to concentrate on the fact that they were distracted by the phonecall or that their earphone fell out of their ear etc.

Maybe the cellphone laws are a conspiracy engineered by Twilogoddess to get everyone's car hooked up with full duplex speakerphone at her shop! (& a bumpin' system at the same time)

-Mjr. cwm7.gif

------------------

only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit

[This message has been edited by mjr203 (edited 02-07-2001).]

Originally posted by Unbound:

Jammy - you are epitomy of logic at work!

cwm40.gif

cwm27.gif , thanks Arthur smile.gif...My point is when I saw Mayor G of NYC talk about and stress the fact that the problem is centered around people not having both hands on the wheel. My first inclination was, hmmmm, well that means stick shift drivers would have a hard time driving with both hands on the wheel. But there are so many other circumstances where drivers can be distracted on the road. Some examples:

-people in a heated argument

-eating/drinking while driving

-messing with the radio/CD/TV in the car

-watching TV while driving

-applying makeup while driving

-checking out the scenery while driving

I think the combination of all of these also contribute to the amount on accidents that could have been avoided and are just as significant than driving with a cell phone. If the reason for this ban is soley b/c of the distraction factor then fine, but don't tell me no one else here drives with one hand, let alone with their legs (ok, maybe just me with the last one cwm27.gif ).

-Jamms "iamrunningforpublicadvocatevoteforme"

------------------

AIM: ynicholas face50.gif

Why don't we let the numbers settle the argument: I won't even bother listing the links to studies that have shown that driving while talking on a regular cell phone (not hands-free) is almost as dangerous as driving drunk. Any questions?

[This message has been edited by resident (edited 02-07-2001).]

yeah this ain't no joke .. all u drug runners & users be careful when using a cell in the car ... The cops will pull u over & fuck ya if ya don't play your cards right ...

happened to my boy the other day, got pulled over cause he was on the phone , the cop thought he looked suspious, searched the car & BHAM, guess what he found? A 1/2 p. of hydro, yep, thats right, bye bye ... So all i'm saying is be very careful when in the car with illegals & cellies cwm12.gif

------------------

Dancer-10.gif put a little pep in your step Dancer-11.gif

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DJ

Originally posted by jammy:

My first inclination was, hmmmm, well that means stick shift drivers would have a hard time driving with both hands on the wheel. But there are so many other circumstances where drivers can be distracted on the road. Some examples:

-people in a heated argument

-eating/drinking while driving

-messing with the radio/CD/TV in the car

-watching TV while driving

-applying makeup while driving

-checking out the scenery while driving

I think the combination of all of these also contribute to the amount on accidents that could have been avoided and are just as significant than driving with a cell phone.

-Jamms "iamrunningforpublicadvocatevoteforme"

I would argue that stick shift drivers are generally better and more alert drivers because they have to remember to shift (though it becomes habit) plus the action of shifting is an inherent part of driving not a distraction like holding a cellphone, which is not an integrated part of the driving process. As to other distractions, sure they happen, but the # of drivers with cell phones must be like 80% or something, whereas those having heated arguments hopefully unmeasurable smile.gif. People talk on their phones and drive like it doesn't even affect them when it definitely does...

-Mjr

------------------

only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

i agree with jammy in regards that it is the problem with having only one hand on the wheel and the other on the phone that is most dangerous. there is not enough reaction time allowable to make a quick steering maneuver to avoid a situation. ever try making quick sharp turns with only one hand on the wheel? maybe it's just my small hands that can't!

i for one would be PISSED if i got hit by a driver because they weren't paying attention to the road/not using handsfree. one of my worst pet peeves on the road is seeing a single-occupancy SUV with a nonattentive cellphone-using driver. i won't even list just how many things are wrong in that scenario...

------------------

mouth.jpg

http://liz.isfamous.com

I hate to say it but I have to agree to an extent. I have seen many people driving all sorts of fucked up because they are driving and talking at the same time. I admit, I am guilty of DWT but I do try to keep it short.

I don't get on bullshit calls when I'm driving.

BTW, I have another confession, I drive a stick shift. It aint easy but it can be done!!

------------------

blultbar.gif

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to it's old dimensions.

~*~*~Don't use time or words carelessly, neither can be retrieved.~*~*~ blossom.gif