Clubplanet Nightlife Community

*Is Good Dancing Completely Overshadowed???*

tyco

Alright......I don't know if it's me but has glowsticking completely shadowed out just straight-up dancing?? Don't take me wrong please, I love those who can flip the glowsticks real well and I respect their talent but it has become apparent to me that good dancing is not even respected in clubs anymore.......it has been bugging me for some time now but I have to say something now because @ Twilo the other night there was a little circle going with two people in the middle doing glowsticks and stringing.......I enjoyed their show and I even gave them props but they basically wouldn't step out of the circle.......when they finally did, I stepped in to do my thing(which is dancing, I don't use glowsticks) and not more than 20 seconds went by and a glowstick hits me in the arm........it was the girl with the strings......I turn around and her and her boyfriend next to her tell me to "move out of the way"........I didn't need the drama so I smurked at them and left........my question is, why is it that the peeps who can do glowsticks really well give no respect to people who can dance well?.......they're different talents onto themselves but is one not good enough to enter a circle and do their thing unless they have glowsticks? I don't want to see glowsticking die out but I don't see why it has become a replacement for dancing instead of an addition.......maybe I should strap glowsticks to my sneakers next time.......anyone notice this or am I alone?

Mikey

------------------

"Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

I'm with you on this one Mikey... While I do appreciate a really good glowstick show, I do feel that dance circles are the best... No one gets knocked upside the head by someone's dancing. And in dance cirles, people share the spotlight, and give others a chance to work the space.

And while we are on the subject... I do think that glowsticks have a time and a place. Wait until the crowd thins a bit... I don't see why people with glowsticks should expect people to clear a 100 sq. ft. space for them to monopolize for 1/2 an hour, when the club is packed... Then they'll go on to get annoyed with someone who is trying to dance, and gets hit with the glowstick. I find that to be selfish and downright rude... Find an empty speaker, shorten your strings, wait until the club empties a bit, and share the space in which we are all entitled to be.

thank you, that is all.

------------------

Peace Love Happiness y'all

DivaliciousNYC@aol.com

well about four years ago at sound factory i watched a girl stringing but she was dancing too, it was amazing!! i hate it when i get pegged by one of those things, it hurts like hell.......i don't know.....i love to watch good dancers, i can only watch the lights for so long but good dancers will have my attention all night!

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a bunny with spring fever!!!

uknj@aol.com

I have to agree 100% with you...

I love to dance..i mean actually dance...BUT i also like the glowstick shows..but it does seem like there is not the mutual respect for dancers and glowstickers ( i guess thats what you call them)

Alittle of both would be cool..you know a mutual respect thing..

------------------

Dont ever stop smiling-->you never know who is falling in love with your smile...

I dont cry because it ENDED--> I smile because we HAPPENED..

YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT ALONE ON THIS ONE

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH U

I DON'T LET IT GET ME UPSET BUT ITS RUDE

WHEN WE'RE BATTLING IN A CIRCLE, DANCING

AND SOMEONE JUST COMES CHARGING IN WITH STRINGS, IT'S JUST NOT COOL

I MEAN IF U SEE PEOPLE BREAKING IT DOWN FEELING THE MUSIC DON'T COME PUSHING YOUR WAY IN AND HITTING EVERYONE WITH YOUR STICKS!

cwm38.gif

GLOW

hahaha, LOL . . .

mikey i was right there when that happened . . .

that bitch wasn't even good with the strings . . .

yeah you and me busted up that circle pretty quick but at least i didn't get whacked . . .

mikey, it sounds like your singing your praises of me . . .

thanks bro . . .

------------------

Fastest sport on foot.

m45.gif

I agree with you as well, Mikey.

In fact, I've noticed more and more lately that many (not all but many) people while they are glowsticking are completely unaware of the space around them.

What I mean is...unlike many people who dance well and move around quite a bit, they seem to lack awareness to those beside, behind and around them and often, smack, hit, and invade other people's space.

I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps its because they are so focused on their "props" and less focused on the movement/space/people.

I find it incredibly frustrating especially since glowsticking does require quite a bit of room. I've no problem with that specifically, but I do have a problem with selfishness in movement....and I see no other way to describe many of the recent glowstickers/flag wavers etc...that I've seen lately.

-Oo

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"I heard of a man that says words so beautiful that if he only speaks their name, women give themselves to him.

If I am dumb by your body while silence blossoms like tumors on our lips it is because I hear a man climb the stairs and clear his throat outside our door." - Leonard Cohen

I think it's the Hype and in small way a sense of competition, personally I can't do shit with glowsticks but I can ripp it on the floor. When I dance I get into the groove, for my own pleasure, I like to close my eyes and feel the music. I think people with glowsticks in a way put out the show for others, nothing wrong with that, unless they push you around (like in your case).

Originally posted by eggmok:

hahaha, LOL . . .

mikey i was right there when that happened . . .

that bitch wasn't even good with the strings . . .

yeah you and me busted up that circle pretty quick but at least i didn't get whacked . . .

mikey, it sounds like your singing your praises of me . . .

thanks bro . . .

Ha ha ha.......I think they were feeling threatened by eggmok's skills and took it out on me.........lol

Mikey

------------------

im with ya mikey. i get so pissed when people who are using strings are so inconsiderate. they make these big circles and take up so much space when there isn't much space to begin with. if you wanna use them wait till the club clears out a little. oh and i am also all for staight up dancing eben though i really can't dance myself. lol but i try.

------------------

0524a.gif

A ho don't make a housewife.

pistol packin, monkey drinkin, no money bum, im from jersey cause that's where im from!!!!

AOL J303J

What bothers me most is that both dancing and sticking are becoming competitive sports. People take their own abilities so seriously that they get upset unless they get EVERYONE'S undivided attention. Some of these same people will trash anyone who isn't as "good" as them and will even post here about some stranger's lack of ability at a club. Whatever happened to just doing your own thing and having a good time?

------------------

translucent_figure.gif

I don't know if glowsticks are "ridiculous" but I agree there is a time and a place. I love to dance more than anything in the world and I have to agree I think more attention is put on glowsticks than footwork. Oh well - what are you going to do?

JUST KEEP DANCING!!!! cwm41.gif

------------------

An eighth of KB's, $60 A glass bubbler, $85 A lighter, $ 1

GETTING HIGH, PRICELESS!!

Originally posted by tyco:

Ha ha ha.......I think they were feeling threatened by eggmok's skills and took it out on me.........lol

Mikey

actually, next time i'll slip some roofies in their drinks . . .

that should do the job . . .

cwm32.gif

------------------

Fastest sport on foot.

m45.gif

Im hearin that Glowsticks I give made props cause sometimes I represent with the stick's but Ya see im aggresive and I know how to please a crowd when im dancin I dont move for anyone or I just get on the post and fuckin dance my ass off who gives a fuck if peeps are watching as long as ya feelin the music and keepin it realz.

Hmm, i actually love doing hand-held glowstix and watching real good ppl do trix with them, during any time of the night because they dont take up much space at all.

However with strings, its a little different story. I like watching stings as well but only if there's enuf space, or when its not as crowded. If theres enuf space, go for yours, if its packed, use hand held stix.

I also like dancing w/o the glowstix as well.

Im not the best dancer and i really dont dance to get attention. And i agree with ppl's opinions about dancing for themselves and not about competition. If someone isnt as good as you, dont put em down, maybe they are just learning and are not afraid to try diffrent moves, even though it might not look as good. I mean, if you didnt take no dancing lessons, you will not be great from the start. Unless you try and try again in a club.

Rad_

------------------

FRANK_TRIGG_ANIMATION.GIF

BOOM............BOOM!!!

Ugh I absolutely hate glowsticks.. Very rarely do I enjoy watching a glowstick show.. The majority of the ppl just like to stick them in your face as if you are supposed to enjoy that. HATE IT.

As far as real dancing, it depends which club you go to. At Twilo, I agree, glowsticks are way too important to ppl. I don't understand why, but seems like not too many ppl were actually dancing.. The majority was standing and either givign or receiving a glowstick show from another person, totally bugging out.. Totally gross..

Originally posted by translucent:

What bothers me most is that both dancing and sticking are becoming competitive sports. People take their own abilities so seriously that they get upset unless they get EVERYONE'S undivided attention. Some of these same people will trash anyone who isn't as "good" as them and will even post here about some stranger's lack of ability at a club. Whatever happened to just doing your own thing and having a good time?

I completely agree, And the funniest shit is that everyone has to do same moves.

Mikey I agree brother.....theres a time and place for everything....dont get me wrong I love watching people do glowsticks, and photons especially when there good like GLOWSTICKS, and EXIT2HEAVEN, and DSZORRO, but when im dancing and you push me out of the way to do strings or something I think thats totally messed up especially when its crowded like PVD night.

------------------

laser_show.gif

Why I love TWILO:

Best music

Best crowd

Best afterhours..

...nuff said

SEE YA UNDER THE BALL!!! peacesymbol.gif

I hear that!

It's gotten ridiculous in some ways... Can't figure it out... Since I don't consider myself that great at either, I don't care if I get props, but it is annoying when someone busts into your space just to show you up... Happens in both catagories...

cwm3.gif

------------------

spark.gif

Hugh

a.k.a. ibhugh, Bryan Adams

email: ibhugh@yahoo.com

aolim: hugesk8r

9805t.gif

I'm glad people are on the same wavelength with me although I hope this post is not turning into a bashing of glowsticks cause that was not my intentions whatsoever.......if some peeps don't like them, that's cool I just would like to see dancing and glowsticking to be held at a similar level in the clubs and not that people think they have reserveed rights to space just because they are holding sticks or strings.......footwork is just as difficult to do well and deserves the same respect I think......that's all.

Mikey

------------------

I'm just smirking here because my friends tend to hand me those glowsticks when we get to the club and I just don't have the faintest idea what I am supposed to do with them... I can't do shit with them...so I'm usually the one that dances wildly while trying to hold on to those glowsticks...it's merely a funny sight wink.gif

sorry just wanted to share this one (too much coffee today and too many wasted brain cells due to the weekend...sorry everyone)

------------------

an1701.gif

I agree with you there... I mean, yeah -- I'm guilty of battling here and there, but I love dancing regardless -- I don't need the challenge to make me shake what my mama gave me... just some good beats... all the better if I have good company around to enjoy it right with me! I think as long as you're having a great time, you could be doing the chicken dance... in fact, next time, I think I will... hehe

- meli -

P.S. ... but for the record, if someone gives me a good challenge (esp. if it's one of those people in question who thinks he/she is all that and will come on here and try to post about how he/she is just soooo cool), you best believe ChaCha is gonna open upp a can of whoop-ass... lol

------------------

meli.jpg

AIM: MeliChaCha

Originally posted by glowdancer:

YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT ALONE ON THIS ONE

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH U

I DON'T LET IT GET ME UPSET BUT ITS RUDE

WHEN WE'RE BATTLING IN A CIRCLE, DANCING

AND SOMEONE JUST COMES CHARGING IN WITH STRINGS, IT'S JUST NOT COOL

I MEAN IF U SEE PEOPLE BREAKING IT DOWN FEELING THE MUSIC DON'T COME PUSHING YOUR WAY IN AND HITTING EVERYONE WITH YOUR STICKS!

cwm38.gif

GLOW

you battle? will you accept a challenge?

------------------

I buried gravity twice, and now own him

I didnt even c any people stringin at twilo on friday....there is absolutly no room for them in twilo....I hear they throw people out if they break them out in there...Now speakin of glowsticks...there is room for that ...but to an extent...i would have loved to have been able to do my thing, my boys were holding it down by the bleachers all nite but i cant stay there all night...i wanna be on the dancefloor...But if your nice you attract attention, and thats how those damn circles start...I didnt even spit fire in Twilo on friday night because i didnt want to start a circle and i respect others dance space....

Mikey sorry if I disappointed you I know you wanted to see the fire again and get a phat light show..but there was no room for it....at dt/cc i promise ill hook you up...

------------------

glow.jpg

Do you Fuck as well as you Dance???