Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why Do Asians Hang In Clicques?

I should have something bad to say about asians after I got charged $36 bucks today at the china star buffet because it was after 3:30PM and that was dinner price.However,I know better what you have to realize is that the ones that are always together like that is because that many are first generation emigrants and therefore find comfort in socializing with each other.As far as them not asimilating has anyone stop to think that maybe they are slowly by attending places like Exit or Twilo and eventually they probably will join in.Another issue to think about is the possible fact that if your asian who do you know other asians.Example white kid lives in Bedstuy Brooklyn which is a black community here in the city makes friends growing up,in school ext. Is he not willing to asimilate because he hangs out with all black friends? no these are just the people he happens to know.I was born and raised in bensonhurst my entire life and till the time I was about 12 or 13 years old I didnt know anyone that was not italian my point being that many times the race, social and economic relationships we develop are due to the enviorment in which we dwell.

why do upper middle class white people sequester themselves in the suburbs?

why do russians form their own enclaves in brooklyn?

why do hassidic jews clique off?

why is there still a little italy?

why do, blah blah blah.

i don't blame bungee for being ignorant- it's the media that perpetuates this old myth that asians are not integrate-able in to 'mainstream' US culture when in fact every group is 'cliquey.' well, maybe i still blame him for his idiotic 'if i was in china i would learn the language blah blah.' dude, if anything, white americans are stereotyped as the most culturally imperialist people in the world, so shaddap.

Originally posted by pwoofo

why do upper middle class white people sequester themselves in the suburbs?

why do russians form their own enclaves in brooklyn?

why do hassidic jews clique off?

why is there still a little italy?

why do, blah blah blah.

i don't blame bungee for being ignorant- it's the media that perpetuates this old myth that asians are not integrate-able in to 'mainstream' US culture when in fact every group is 'cliquey.' well, maybe i still blame him for his idiotic 'if i was in china i would learn the language blah blah.' dude, if anything, white americans are stereotyped as the most culturally imperialist people in the world, so shaddap.

Deeeeallll nay loh moe.

Originally posted by ClubKid77

WHAT? native americans dont chose to be on reservations, they were forced there...

Yeah they were forced to live there about 200 years ago. Today it is their choice to remain there. If they do, they get huge amounts of benefits, like little or no taxes paid. Reservations were first developed to remove the Native Americans, but not any longer.

Please get your facts straight.

Haha, you know what? To an extent, it's true. A lot of Asians DO clique together. Trust me, I lived on Busch Campus at Rutgers University last year, and that's like Asian Central of New Brunswick's campus. I can't stand how they do that, they like think they are too good to talk to anyone else. I happen to be Korean myself, but I am NOTHING like the cliquey Koreans that hug each other and walk down the street holding hands (even same sexed individuals). I guess maybe it's because I was adopted by two white Irish parents and I grew up in a predominantly white town that I'm not like friends with a lot of Asians. I have no problem with Asian people, but I do have a problem with the ones that think they are too good to talk to anyone that's not like them. They just look at me from afar and talk shiet about me because to them I'm a no-good "twinkie". WTF. Even a lot of them that I met this year were like all Asian-pride, they had their flag for their country hanging up in their dorm windows, they had like Asian pride t-shirts and shiet. That's outta hand. Half of them probally aren't even American citizens and couldn't give two shits about this country. Argh.. well, I just went off on a tangent, no I'm not a racist, and no i'm not a hater. I just prefer to stay away from cliquey people and especially the "little asia" sections of Exit where they all just lay together on the floor in the corners sucking on lollipops.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm not saying that ALL Asians are cliquey and etc.. but it's impossible to deny that there are those groups out there, and they are more noticable than any other group for one reason: they actually DISLIKE other people. Not all of them I'm saying, but I have experience, I'm not just talking shit outta my ass. I know people that are in the "cliques" and they do hate on any people not like them and REFUSE to hang out with anyone not their race. I'm not even talking Asians all hang together I'm talking like some Korean cliques only will talk to other Koreans not Japanese, not Chinese, etc.. You shouldn't base friendships and who the people you wanna talk to are by their race. You should base it on the person that you actually are which is why it pisses me off so much...

I'm Asian, and yes, I hang out with mostly Asians. We're friends because we have things in common, and sometimes that includes cultural factors, such as background, food, language, experiences, even neighborhood. But we don't exclude others based on race, and I think most people would say the same thing. Of course there are some elitist dickheads that do, in every ethnic group.

But we all know that, so why keep debating this? If you start hatin on a certain group just because you were hated on by these individuals , this shit will just keep goin.

please DUDE. don't even start with the fresh off the boat crap here. you might not have come off the boat, but maybe your previous generations has. what are you? ABC? such a shame. man, i feel like an idiot replying to your garbage. but anyways, please stereotype fobs with caution next time. you know you wish you had half their intelligence.

Originally posted by ClubKid77

Dude only asians that are fresh off the boat hang in cliques.

My GF is vietnamese and she and her vietnamese cousin hang out with white kids. They dont date any asians or have any intentions of doing so. There is this FOB vietnamese guy who like stalks her always saying how bad he wants an asian GF etc... And he dont understand that not all asians are like that and some are happy to be assimilated into the melting pot. If my GF happens to have an asian friend it is mearly coincidental and no more likely than a white kid, in fact its probably less likely due to the fact asians are a minority and she dont go seeking them out. So this whole generalization about asians is stupid, its a generalization you can make about any off the boat imagrants, i mean back when all the itallians imagrated to NYC they stayed together, so did the irish, so did the jews, you all just notice the asians cuz you can pick them out.

Originally posted by codica3

Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm not saying that ALL Asians are cliquey and etc.. but it's impossible to deny that there are those groups out there, and they are more noticable than any other group for one reason: they actually DISLIKE other people. Not all of them I'm saying, but I have experience, I'm not just talking shit outta my ass. I know people that are in the "cliques" and they do hate on any people not like them and REFUSE to hang out with anyone not their race. I'm not even talking Asians all hang together I'm talking like some Korean cliques only will talk to other Koreans not Japanese, not Chinese, etc.. You shouldn't base friendships and who the people you wanna talk to are by their race. You should base it on the person that you actually are which is why it pisses me off so much...

codica3,

honestly, you are ridiculous. how can you just single out korean cliques??? i am korean yet most of my friends are white and jewish . i also do have a group of asian friends too. don't you think that every ethnicity or religion has groups of people who refuse to hang with other people and think that they are better than everyone else? this kind of stuff happens everywhere for various reasons. in many instances, people who have money think they are so much better than people who are poor. people who went to ivy league colleges think that they are so much better than people who did not so they dislike them. you're view is very narrowminded. look at the whole picture.