Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Exit Music not REAL music???

djmikebugout

i like a lot of nyc "cheese"

my only problem is, that alot of people just dont' bother w/ anything else.. thats when i start to degrade its quality.. it is very basic, but still catchy and certainly makes me dance at times.. but dont' limit yourself to that i say.. just mo though..

as for understanding the simplicity of a lot of "exit" tracks.. simply download fruityloops or some other loop based production software, mess around w/ it for a while, and you'll see how easy it is to produce and how much less creativity is involved.. you'll grasp just how few elements are usually involved(typically kick, bass, hi-hat, snare, and a couple loopy synths throughout the whole track.. simple ABABCA formats..)

....whether u play a Creamer/K track or a Catscan track for an ignorant hip hop head they're gonna say. "Man, when u gonna shut this techno bullshit off?" even tho neither is techno...we're all on the same side

Great point.

I just hope house music does not follow the same path as rap/hiphop. Rap used to be great, but now most rap songs released follow the same formula with no creative effort put into them. A lot of those "exit" songs are produced the same way and are thrown together in one day and are not creative at all (Diamonds, Pressure, Crouching Tiger; etc.). While they may be guilty pleasures for some of you out there, I think that they take away from the genre as a whole..but then again I would rather listen to Diamonds than Oochie Walla Walla.

Originally posted by inyourdreams

You can't *dance* to Exit music....you can *bang your head against the wall until it bleeds* to it....

that wuz uncalled for..theres always someone who wants to bring the drama...i appreciate all music...thats what its about...people may think ur music sucks...so its all objective

I love many forms of dance music. I can go to different clubs and listen to the varying styles of music and appreciate and enjoy each for what it is. Take, for example, the Winter Music Conference. In the span of a week, I heard Danny Tenaglia, Victor Calderone, Eric Morillo, Jonathan Peters, Peter Rauhofer, George Acosta, and Roger Sanchez spin, among others. Each scene brought a different vibe, and I had a great time experiencing each DJ's particular musical journey. I heard tracks from producers ranging from Armand Van Helden to Little Louie Vega to Trancesetters to Eddie Baez to Junior Vasquez, and so on. I try to keep an open mind, and it allows me to enjoy a little of everything. I love many of Superchumbo's tracks, but I also love many of Richie Santana's tracks. Each track is a separate entity, and I try not to judge it or label it beforehand simply because the producer may be from Staten Island or New Jersey. If you recall, Jonathan Peters made his name at SF on Fridays by playing "NY" tracks from Anthony Acid, Razor & Guido, Brutal Bill, Mike Ski, etc., all of whom also did tracks/remixes for his Deeper label. A lot of the music he played then would probably be labelled "NY cheese" or "Exit music" if it were released today. Even Danny Tenaglia played some tracks/remixes by Victor Calderone, Peter Rauhofer, etc., during his Twilo residency to please the queens.

Originally posted by spinninrecords

You know.. im sort of glad you said that...as much as I hate it...

Im a house head but love all music,, even love 70's and 80's...

Saturday nights I play mostly hip-hop .. in the middle of my first house track.. right when i finally have this smile on my face.. goosebumps on my arms.... some fat chick say"can u play hiphop and not this tecno shit"...... god help me...lol

while im at it................. let me get this off my chest.... Its really no big deal but it bothers me when everything is considered "techno"........ guess you have to understand/appreciate house to break it down..

THANKS!

same thing happens to me every friday at my bar....happened last night at a house party too...my boy spun literally an hour+ of hiphop.maybe even 2 (i dont remember too much) and i stepped in to do a quick house set....5 min into the first song, some ignorant bitch comes up and starts yapping her mouth...but i wasnt getting paid, no one invited her, and i was the boss, so fuck her right?!?!?!?

but seriously....i wish more people could appreciate music like i do. I can jam to hiphop, dance to reggae, as well as house it up, and have fun no matter what, because i enjoy whatever it is im listening to (unless the DJ is really bad). whenever someone tries to tell me how to do my job, i always come with (why dont you just go out there, have a drink or two, go dance, hook up or whatever and just have fun....dont worry about the music...leave that up to me)

thats when im in a good mood....otherwise i just say "they pay me to play a certain way...if you dont like it, leave"

BG

For the untrained ear... that hard stuff is lovely for about a year or so. At the start of my clubbing days, that hard shit was WONDERFUL. Just couldnt get enough of it... When I heard people like Sasha & Digweed, BT, Danny T. , it didnt do much to me (I actually thought Sasha & Digweed sucked). That WAS my untrained ear...

2 years down the road.. I must say the music is still good, but everything just sounds like a bunch of pots & pans. Everything is so repetative and very boring.

Now pop in your GU:019 cd 2 , and this is what im talkin about. This is the exact CD that got me into the madness of true house music. Well for the untrained ear, it might sound like shit.. but 2 years down the road , you rookies will all open your ears. Just like many of us have learned...

Originally posted by realz

For the untrained ear... that hard stuff is lovely for about a year or so. At the start of my clubbing days, that hard shit was WONDERFUL. Just couldnt get enough of it... When I heard people like Sasha & Digweed, BT, Danny T. , it didnt do much to me (I actually thought Sasha & Digweed sucked). That WAS my untrained ear...

2 years down the road.. I must say the music is still good, but everything just sounds like a bunch of pots & pans. Everything is so repetative and very boring.

Now pop in your GU:019 cd 2 , and this is what im talkin about. This is the exact CD that got me into the madness of true house music. Well for the untrained ear, it might sound like shit.. but 2 years down the road , you rookies will all open your ears. Just like many of us have learned...

i dont think that hard house is the best stuff around

it is great to dance to. i love the gu cds (my fav is Sasha-Ibiza) but sometimes the songs just arent fast enough.

I disagree about the tempo. I kinda think that house, and all beats for that matter (except for jungle, DNB and Gabber) . . seem to be creeping up in the tempo range . . .

I guess it's kinda to be expected seeing as how many DJ's there are out there getting F**ked up during their sets . . .