Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The big Survey: Xbox or Nintendo cube

Guest funkysoul

The XBox is going to blow away the GameCube... I've played both and the Xbox is the way to go. The Graphics are better and smoother. It has more and better games being released. It can play DVD's (for $40 extra bucks).

The only thing the Gamecube has going for it's cheaper.....

Looks like Microsoft is about to take over another industry.... Pretty soon we'll be driving Microsoft cars and trucks....

:shake::roll::shake:

OK I'm a geek. Big deal. Anyway, I have both XBOX and GC and I am telling you do not be a fanboy of one over the other. They are both great systems.

For GC, Star Wars and Super Smash Bros. are amazing. It definitely holds its own in the graphics dept against XBOX. And the GC controller is the best controller for any game system ever made. Period. UNfortunately, there's no 5.1 Dolby out like PS2 and XBOX.

For XBOX, Halo and DOA3 have to be seen to be believed. The controller is a little bulky but not too bad. DVD playback, hard drive, etc. It's a no brainer.

So remember it's not about the hardware any longer, since the numbers are pretty equal on all new systems. It's about which games come out for which system (Zelda/Mario on GC, Halo on XBOX, Gran Turismo 3 on PS2). Whatever you get for the holidays be happy...it's a great time to be a vid game fan. :D

Originally posted by smokesum

The Cube Rocks. The XBOX is just ugly, horrible controller and I think Halo is overated. Of course the average joe says XBOX, but thats b/c Microsoft spent 500000000 billion on marketing.

And no, Im not a nintendo fanboy.

Yeah, Halo may be overrated but it's hands-down the best first person shooter on any console to date. DOA3, EA Sports, Sega 2K2 games not overrated! Who cares about what the XBOX itself looks like. The PS2 is a horror to look at yet it's a kick ass machine. The Cube looks like a kid's toy yet it's powerful as hell.

This is a very different time now where most developers don't pledge any allegiance to any one platform. Don't waste your time arguing over who spent more on marketing etc. Fact is, XBOX, GC, and the PS2 are all selling extremely well. Worry about saving your money for the good games, no matter which system they come out for...

Just my $.02 :D

P.S. BTW smokesum...nice usage of my font! :D

Originally posted by brooklynkid

Yeah, Halo may be overrated but it's hands-down the best first person shooter on any console to date. DOA3, EA Sports, Sega 2K2 games not overrated! Who cares about what the XBOX itself looks like. The PS2 is a horror to look at yet it's a kick ass machine. The Cube looks like a kid's toy yet it's powerful as hell.

This is a very different time now where most developers don't pledge any allegiance to any one platform. Don't waste your time arguing over who spent more on marketing etc. Fact is, XBOX, GC, and the PS2 are all selling extremely well. Worry about saving your money for the good games, no matter which system they come out for...

Just my $.02 :D

P.S. BTW smokesum...nice usage of my font! :D

Thanks. I think you gave the best answer. But, I lied..I am a Nintendo fanboy.

BUY GAMECUBE !

It all depends on what your preference is, the x-box has been made to satisfy the tast of the more sophisticated game player...strategies, more thinking involved....

The game cube is geared more towards the cartoon looking games like donkey kong and mario and such

There is a bad side to the X-Box though, all of the games that they are going to make for it will eventually be on everyone's computer, so unless you feel like dropping some dough on a game console, you might want to think twice about it...

my 2 cents...

-Scotty-

Originally posted by scottyskribz57

There is a bad side to the X-Box though, all of the games that they are going to make for it will eventually be on everyone's computer, so unless you feel like dropping some dough on a game console, you might want to think twice about it...

That's kind of half true. You may see something like Halo on a PC but there's no way you'll see a DOA3 or a Munch's Odyssey. You just don't get that kind of performance out of PC graphics cards (not without spending big $$$).

I like PC games as much as the next person but think about the hassles involved with PC games:

1. installing, which can take several gigs just for one game.

2. DirectX issues, video card incompatibilities

3. crashing

The list goes on and on. There's nothing like sitting down on a big couch in front of a big TV and plugging four controllers in and playing a sick game of NHL 2002. So if you're into the social aspect and quick satisfaction of games, then consoles are for you...

just adding my 4 cents :D

PC vs Consoles:

Winner: PC

It has better graphics, more features, better sounds, it might cost you more, but a PC can always be upgradeable, and you can do much more on it than a console system. Even a PC nowadays, with decent graphics, cpu speed, and sound is less than a grand. Go figure....

Originally posted by doubtness

PC vs Consoles:

Winner: PC

It has better graphics, more features, better sounds, it might cost you more, but a PC can always be upgradeable, and you can do much more on it than a console system. Even a PC nowadays, with decent graphics, cpu speed, and sound is less than a grand. Go figure....

a) this isn't a PC vs consoles issue...read my points above

B) everything you just said is false:

better graphics? nothing on a PC under $2,000 runs at a steady 60 fps. Sure the PC runs higher res but who cares when you're playing on a sweet 36" TV...

more features? like what? online capability? ALL the new consoles have that either built in or coming soon. A hard drive? XBOX has it...

better sounds? nope....all the new systems come with 5.1 Dolby right out of the box. doesn't get much better than that.

upgradability? gotta love all the conflicts and incompatibilities of PC hardware...

....and what about when friends come over?

PCs are good for what they are: go online, do your reports, design your websites, and play the occasional massive RPG or deathmatch...

all these $.02 are adding up :D

Originally posted by brooklynkid

a) this isn't a PC vs consoles issue...read my points above

B) everything you just said is false:

better graphics? nothing on a PC under $2,000 runs at a steady 60 fps. Sure the PC runs higher res but who cares when you're playing on a sweet 36" TV...

more features? like what? online capability? ALL the new consoles have that either built in or coming soon. A hard drive? XBOX has it...

better sounds? nope....all the new systems come with 5.1 Dolby right out of the box. doesn't get much better than that.

upgradability? gotta love all the conflicts and incompatibilities of PC hardware...

....and what about when friends come over?

PCs are good for what they are: go online, do your reports, design your websites, and play the occasional massive RPG or deathmatch...

all these $.02 are adding up :D

Sorry, I had to get in on this one.

First off PC's today completely BLOW the Xbox out of the water, why, cause all Xbox is is a 2 year old PC maketed right, but once you look at the specs you see its nothing special.

The chip controlling the Xbox is an Nvidia Geforce256, which was the first geforce and it was available on PC's a little over 2 years ago. You can already get a high end Geforce 3 for PC for just a little over $100. You say nothing under $2000 runs faster than 60 fps, Dell is offering computers under $800 which come with a 64MB Geforce2 MX standard, and last time I checked those ran Quake III (better graphics than Halo) at over 100 FPS. Besides, in terms of frame rates (Frames per second = fps) unless you're superman your not going to notice anything over 35fps. And in terms of watching it on a TV all cards have TV out now so you can connect them to a TV.

in terms of sound, The new Soundblaster Audigy cards go beyond 5.1 Dolby because they support EAX HD (a new kind of surround sound for games in which the terrain also effects the sound) this will never be out for Xbox, and you can currently get them for $80, and they'll soon be standard on all PC's.

Also, the best games always hit PC first, wow, Xbox has Halo, there so many FPS games for PC with better gameply and graphics its hard to keep track among them Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Giants, Quake III, Undying.....blablabla. Max Payne just came out for Xbox, its been on PC for a year (and it still runs better and looks better on PC)

Last, but most important, to say what someone else said, Yes, all the games for Xbox will soon be available for PC...but that person forgot to mention you'll be able to download em for FREE. Ever hear of an emulator, they are free downloadable hacks that let you run console games for free on your computer. and since the Xbox is nothing more than an overhyped old school PC it will be the easiest thing to hack cause there's no code to break.

If you're gonna go with a console go with PS2, it plays DVDs, is a lot cheaper than Xbox, and in the long run will offer better games. A cool gaming site to help ya choose is www.gamespot.com if you want to know more about hardware go to www.sharkeyextreme.com . my 2 cents.

Originally posted by dv8

Sorry, I had to get in on this one.

First off PC's today completely BLOW the Xbox out of the water, why, cause all Xbox is is a 2 year old PC maketed right, but once you look at the specs you see its nothing special.

You're making this an XBOX vs PC debate, which it is *not*. Doesn't anyone read previous posts before they start commenting? The 2 year old PC comment is bogus, as this is a machine targeted towards people who want to play games on a TV with friends on a couch and not at an uncomfortable computer desk.

The chip controlling the Xbox is an Nvidia Geforce256, which was the first geforce and it was available on PC's a little over 2 years ago. You can already get a high end Geforce 3 for PC for just a little over $100. You say nothing under $2000 runs faster than 60 fps, Dell is offering computers under $800 which come with a 64MB Geforce2 MX standard, and last time I checked those ran Quake III (better graphics than Halo) at over 100 FPS. Besides, in terms of frame rates (Frames per second = fps) unless you're superman your not going to notice anything over 35fps. And in terms of watching it on a TV all cards have TV out now so you can connect them to a TV.

The Nvidia chip in the XBOX is customized especially for the system. Even the GeForce 3, while impressive, is still based on the original. Let's not forget that 90% of the world does not want to open up their PC and install a snazzy video card, not to mention that half of everything doesn't work on shitboxes like Compaq/HP (those $800 machines) with their dedicated hardware.

re framerate, there's a big difference. It's not the way TV can display it, cause that maxes out at 30fps, but it's the way the gfx processor interpolates the frames. Play a 60fps fighting game vs. a 30fps fighting game and you'll notice a big difference.

and tv out from my PC? they've been trying it for years. Who wants to run a cable from the PC down in the den or office all the way up to the 52" screen in the living room? And four-player simultaneous play? Ain't happening unless you have a LAN party with 4 computers.

in terms of sound, The new Soundblaster Audigy cards go beyond 5.1 Dolby because they support EAX HD (a new kind of surround sound for games in which the terrain also effects the sound) this will never be out for Xbox, and you can currently get them for $80, and they'll soon be standard on all PC's.

again...more hassles, and more wires coming out of my PC. Most people are satisfied with their beefy home theater setups.

Also, the best games always hit PC first, wow, Xbox has Halo, there so many FPS games for PC with better gameply and graphics its hard to keep track among them Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Giants, Quake III, Undying.....blablabla. Max Payne just came out for Xbox, its been on PC for a year (and it still runs better and looks better on PC)

Notice the games you mentioned are all games well suited for the PC. FPS games rock on a PC cause you got the sweet mouse/keyboard setup, but even that is almost over cause all the consoles now support that. Show me Gran Turismo 3 or DOA3/Soul Caliber on a PC. Oh, and make sure I can have 3 other friends plug their controllers in and play a tag match. And yeah, games had BETTER look good on a $2000 box sitting on my desk. You can't compare the two. High res vs. low res.

Last, but most important, to say what someone else said, Yes, all the games for Xbox will soon be available for PC...but that person forgot to mention you'll be able to download em for FREE. Ever hear of an emulator, they are free downloadable hacks that let you run console games for free on your computer. and since the Xbox is nothing more than an overhyped old school PC it will be the easiest thing to hack cause there's no code to break.

So you're into pirating. That says a lot for your credibility. Yes, I'll go right now and download a 3 GB game that will run crappy on an emulator. The only emulator worth shit is MAME.

If you're gonna go with a console go with PS2, it plays DVDs, is a lot cheaper than Xbox, and in the long run will offer better games. A cool gaming site to help ya choose is www.gamespot.com if you want to know more about hardware go to www.sharkeyextreme.com . my 2 cents.

or how about not choosing one over the other and get both over time (don't forget Cube!). They all have great games coming out for them. Don't be swayed by fanboys. No one "wins" in that case. That's why the excellent Dreamcast sunk, because there were too many Sony fanboys out there. Case in point, Gamespot being Sony lovers. The best site i've seen is http://www.ign.com

And please...NO MORE console vs. pc debate. it's rediculous...

Guest saleen351

The pc vs console debate is worthless. PC's suck....I have a saying, (I fix computers for ppl all the time), computers never do exactly what they are supposed to....NEVER! always a problem..

Ps2 is DONE!!!! GT 3 sucked big time....GT 1 and GT 2 will go down in history as the best racing games ever and that includes the new xbox game, gothem racing. Its ok but def not GT 2! Graphics are better, but def not realistic....

Merging gammming consoles into windows....Doesn't take a brain surgen to tell you that it will conquer all of the world....Ethernet online gamming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will kick ass....They will be able to upgrade the games mid season for sports, since it has a 10 gig hard drive.....so all the stats will match each week............. online toureys....How phat is that gonna be!!!!!!

If pc gamming was better Microsoft, the world leader in software would not have build the xbox............. Wide screen option is phat too...............