Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Official Winter Music Conference info thread

shroomy

OK, its three months away and we already are getting the same questions over and over again.

So lets make this the official info thread.

Post here your venue, hotel, badge, etc questions and answers.

Then hopefully everyone will read here first and save us from answering the same questions over and over again.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question #1

Should I get a badge?

No, unless you plan on attending the actual conference, a badge is not worth it. (IMHO)

And that is the consensus here. It may get you into some of the smaller events for free, but the big events (and there will be at least one big event every day) will only get you reduced admission. You also get a little better treatment at some venues, but not free VIP or anything.

It may help get into a club if you are a single guy, but that’s about it.

All in all, not worth the money. Save the money and tip the door person and you will do much better.

Question #2

Where should I stay?

Obviously it depends on your budget, but no matter what

STAY ON THE BEACH!!!!

I can not state this strongly enough. You do not want to be downtown or near the airport. You will spend your whole time here driving and looking for a parking spot.

On the beach means, east of the intracoastal and between 1st and 23rd St.

Some nice hotels are

The Delano, Very nice but $$$$ 305-672-2000

The Pelican, about $150, great location, very interesting rooms, right on the beach.

The Cleavlander, shit hole rooms for $150, but great location and fun touristy pickup bar right outside door. 305-531-3485

Albion - Not bad I hear, about $150 a night, decent location 305-913-1000

Astor - Great location for the night life (on Washington) but a couple blocks off the beach. 305-531-8081

and here are a couple links

Miami Hotels

More Hotels

Question #3

Do I need a car?

No, if you stay on the beach, all the clubs are walking distance except a couple downtown, notably Space. But the cost of parking at Space or anywhere downtown is about the same as a taxi ride there (about $10)

There are Taxi's everywhere, and they are pretty cheep compared to many other cities. Plus parking is often a bitch. And who wants to be the designated driver?

Even the taxi from the airport to the beach shouldn't be too bad. About $20-$30, I am guessing.

Question #4

What else is there to do besides party and hang on the beach with all the topless models?

If your like most people you will be sleeping all day. But if your not, you have a couple options. Besides the obvious beach, there is the almost as obvious Ocean Dr. It is the street right next to the beach, and home to a bunch of touristy bars, hotels, shops and restaurants. Walk down it and you are guaranteed to see every nationality in the world every 10 seconds. And you would swear, they only let the good looking ones in. If you want to drink or hook up, or if your an NYC'er and are home sick for more obnoxious NYC'ers, this is the place for you. Yes its touristy, but in a fun Miami way. (but don’t ask us to go :) were kind of sick of it) Oh yeah, Versace's place is here too.

Next you may want to wander down Washington, two blocks in from Ocean Dr. There you will find many clubs and many shops. If you want to shop for clothes, this is the place. Most of the shops don’t open till noon or one, but stay open till 2AM.

If you want to get a little less touristy, you may want to hit Lincoln Rd Mall, It runs perpendicular to the beach and is a large strip of shops and restaurants. It is picturesque, and more chill than Ocean Dr. It is at the north end of the beach, from Washington, look north for the bank with the clock on it. When you get there, turn left and it becomes obvious. If you have the $$$, try Touch for dinner or drinks. Need reservations on weekends for dinner, about $50 a person w/ drinks.

plasmajockey, lol.... no, as Pod said, I don't work for Touch or anyone else for that matter. I work for myself. I do computer crap.

I was just trying to recomend places that are Miamish, and they are unlikely to see where ever they are from.

Plus, we are constantly getting the question

"what is a good place to eat?"

so I was trying to answer that one too.

Shroomys favorite spots...

$$$$$$ Rumi, Touch, Pearl

$$$ Opium, Joia

$$ Nexxt, News Cafe

$ That Cuban Place at the corner of 7th and Collins

Shroomy, your advice for WMC is right on except your dining choices. You need to explore and experiment so you can direct to other than the most trendy and mainstream. Your Porta Sagua recomendation is right on. Tourists will hear about the fashionable places on their own.(and they won"t be able to penetrate the door!) They need to be pointed to the places with good food,service, where they will be treated well and feel welcome. There are scores of restaurants that make South Beach a diner's delight. Spread the wealth so everyone deserving prospers. This is just one opinion.

NEXT CAFE on Lincoln Rd is an affordable restarant with good ambience!

They serve a huge amount of food for the price. U can eat a good meal there between $8 and $16. Daiquiries of course would be separate ! ;)

I personally love the Key lime Salad. Great flavored chicken !

It's definitely a good place to go the day after u've partied! A lot of "people-watching" and many times there are artists promoting their pieces across from the cafe !

Nice to watch while you wait to be served! :tongue:

Oh yeah and i am not employed there so prices can range !

But i do recommend it ! >>>>>>> can't wait til WMC !

plasmajockey, feel free to post your opinion.

Tell us the places you like, that's what this thread if for.

Since I live North of Miami, South beach is usually my "nice night out" so I tend to hit the nicer spots. For the decent every day stuff, I stay closer to home.

Thanks for Porta Sagua, I couldnt remember the name. I love that place. Great food, and the Tres Leches!!! yummmmmm.

And yeah Flygirl, Next Cafe is my favorite Lincold Rd stop that wont break the bank, and they have a ton of outdoor seating for people watching :)

Nexxt, good place to eat, nice copycat of Cheesecake Factory though.

I recommend Lincoln Road Cafe, cuban restaurant and best service on Lincoln Road, just ask for our dear "papito" Pedrito; he always takes care of us and give us discount. hehehehehe

Try El Chalan, peruvian restaurant on Washington and 17th, good food and not $$$

For some "people watching" , nothing better than Segafredo on Lenox and Lincoln Rd, Coronas are $3 and potato chips are on the house, not to mention the "chill out", "cafe del mar" type of music.

Try the Warm Chocolate Cake with Basil Icecream at Balans, it's awesome.

Ok, now I am going to McDonalds, see ya!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by laliux

Nexxt, good place to eat, nice copycat of Cheesecake Factory though.

I recommend Lincoln Road Cafe, cuban restaurant and best service on Lincoln Road, just ask for our dear "papito" Pedrito; he always takes care of us and give us discount. hehehehehe

Try the Warm Chocolate Cake with Basil Icecream at Balans, it's awesome.

i agree 115% on the choices....*licks lips*

:bounce:

cd

"Im not your bitch dont hang your shit on me"

doll16.jpg

hey dont you guys forget about me up here in cold-ass n.j.!!!

i hope everyones holidays were/are fabulous!...

i'm booked for the conference with 8 or 9 others in a condo/apt. on michigan ave in sobe...

i expect to see old and new faces while i'm there--- i believe we'll be coming down the 23rd and staying till wed. 27th...

i miss you guys a bunch... oh yeah, going to see parks and wilson in boston soon, wont be the same w/out you guys that were there for crobar, but i'll be thinking of ya's!...

sending you my luv and smooches, luv d :D :D :D