Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mike Macaluso......

tyco

Originally posted by tyco

hmmmm.......you "own shit that I havent even begun to touch or hear of" that could be true, but I wouldn't count on it.......how could you make such a statement when you don't know who you're talking to? be careful with what you say.

you didn't need to explain yourself either, I knew exactly what you're talking about when you said it initially......just to make it clear, I'm not some newbie here I've been on this board longer than you have and I've been listening to the same music as you for a long time as well.......I'm not trying to compete, I can care less but just be aware that even though many people seem "uneducated" to you on this board, not everyone is......with that said, you should refrain from trying to talk down to other people because you really have no right to be.......and I wouldn't take this board as a full representation of people's music knowledg in NY......if you want, I can direct you to other forums where there are people posting who I'm sure surpass you in music knowledge and you will not have to explain the state of NYs music scene, as you really didn't have to to me........trust me, I know what you're saying and I agree.......but that is something I was bitching about years ago and realized there's no point because everyone likes different sounds and you should just concentrate on what you like and stop trying to be elitist because you listened to certain DJs first.......and while I'm at it, we all know you weren't born listening to Sasha sets or Sander K remixes.......you started somewhere just as many in NY are now........so when you were musically stupid at age 13, do you think you would appreciate someone like yourself talking down to them with an attitude of superiority? Yea, we in the states are behind the UK and such but it's growing fast here and the snob atttitude you have about it is unacceptable.......it's fine to diplay how many international DJs and producers you know of but why not do it positively so others would want to be turned on to it?

has nothing to do with superiority and displaying international dj's.i listen to what I like...alot of US dj's are good too.

what i was talking about was the public. and trust me...i do try to bring the knowledge positively, but when the majority of the people in the US are being mislead by DJ's and radio stations that spin "cheese"....its very hard to do so and its also very hard to NOT be snobby about it and wonder why the US is the only country who chooses to exclude itself from the rest of the world. Same thing goes for FOOTBALL...not "soccer". MOST POPULAR SPORT IN THE WORLD, except....guess where....US.

hmmmm.......you "own shit that I havent even begun to touch or hear of" that could be true, but I wouldn't count on it.......how could you make such a statement when you don't know who you're talking to? be careful with what you say.

you didn't need to explain yourself either, I knew exactly what you're talking about when you said it initially......just to make it clear, I'm not some newbie here I've been on this board longer than you have and I've been listening to the same music as you for a long time as well.......I'm not trying to compete, I can care less but just be aware that even though many people seem "uneducated" to you on this board, not everyone is......with that said, you should refrain from trying to talk down to other people because you really have no right to be.......and I wouldn't take this board as a full representation of people's music knowledg in NY......if you want, I can direct you to other forums where there are people posting who I'm sure surpass you in music knowledge and you will not have to explain the state of NYs music scene, as you really didn't have to to me........trust me, I know what you're saying and I agree.......but that is something I was bitching about years ago and realized there's no point because everyone likes different sounds and you should just concentrate on what you like and stop trying to be elitist because you listened to certain DJs first.......and while I'm at it, we all know you weren't born listening to Sasha sets or Sander K remixes.......you started somewhere just as many in NY are now........so when you were musically stupid at age 13, do you think you would appreciate someone like yourself talking down to them with an attitude of superiority? Yea, we in the states are behind the UK and such but it's growing fast here and the snob atttitude you have about it is unacceptable.......it's fine to diplay how many international DJs and producers you know of but why not do it positively so others would want to be turned on to it?

by the way...it has nothing to do with relation to US and UK. people in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore know more about dance music than people in our country. im just using them as an example that UK isn't necessarily the main foreground.

Originally posted by mysterynyc

has nothing to do with superiority and displaying international dj's.i listen to what I like...alot of US dj's are good too.

what i was talking about was the public. and trust me...i do try to bring the knowledge positively, but when the majority of the people in the US are being mislead by DJ's and radio stations that spin "cheese"....its very hard to do so and its also very hard to NOT be snobby about it and wonder why the US is the only country who chooses to exclude itself from the rest of the world. Same thing goes for FOOTBALL...not "soccer". MOST POPULAR SPORT IN THE WORLD, except....guess where....US.

okay that's fair.......

but I think the scene is farther along than you think.......I mean, I kinda like that all these DJs and producers aren't "blown up" by radio and mass media........if they played this stuff on KTU, everyone would jump on the bandwagon and ride it right to the clubs, like Vinyl and Centro, that still do produce good DJs and good crowds.......then all these places would turn to shit as well.......why do you think there is so much cheesy shit going on in the UK.......cause it "blew up" years back.......I'm talking about Ministry of Sound, Gatecrasher, Radio One, Pete Tong, Oakenfold, trance........all things that were big when the scene was becoming big in the UK.......now, all cheese.......it will happen here to eventually but the later the better.......see my point at all?

by the way...it has nothing to do with relation to US and UK. people in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore know more about dance music than people in our country. im just using them as an example that UK isn't necessarily the main foreground.

you're right but you should know that we have a lot more to choose from here.......out country is very diverse and our mass media circuit is huge and very influential as compared to Lumpur........boy bands and the strong hip-hop influence is almost non-existent in other places as it is here.......you can't really compare.

okay that's fair.......

but I think the scene is farther along than you think.......I mean, I kinda like that all these DJs and producers aren't "blown up" by radio and mass media........if they played this stuff on KTU, everyone would jump on the bandwagon and ride it right to the clubs, like Vinyl and Centro, that still do produce good DJs and good crowds.......then all these places would turn to shit as well.......why do you think there is so much cheesy shit going on in the UK.......cause it "blew up" years back.......I'm talking about Ministry of Sound, Gatecrasher, Radio One, Pete Tong, Oakenfold, trance........all things that were big when the scene was becoming big in the UK.......now, all cheese.......it will happen here to eventually but the later the better.......see my point at all?

of course.thats my opinion exactly. but i don't know if you know this,but a bit before John Digweed made his pilgrimage to the US to Twilo....the UK dance scene was literally all but dead. What he did was, he realized that there was an untapped market here in the state, and by intiating it here, he was able to revive it back in the UK, with help from the british and dutch brigades.

you're right but you should know that we have a lot more to choose from here.......out country is very diverse and our mass media circuit is huge and very influential as compared to Lumpur........boy bands and the strong hip-hop influence is almost non-existent in other places as it is here.......you can't really compare.

do you know that BEFORE all these boy bands were famous in the US...they made their millions in those places that I just mentioned...FAR EAST...and europe as well...Australia too. US was just another market for them, but the only difference is, every knows the US.

"what i mean by US is way behind is...NOT THE US DJ'S...cuz the guys u just mentioned are amazing. im talking about the PUBLIC. the radio stations, the people, the music channels. its just sad."

I agree with you on this....the radio stations never veer away from the cheese....I would like to hear more experimental stuff and more original material.

of course.thats my opinion exactly. but i don't know if you know this,but a bit before John Digweed made his pilgrimage to the US to Twilo....the UK dance scene was literally all but dead. What he did was, he realized that there was an untapped market here in the state, and by intiating it here, he was able to revive it back in the UK, with help from the british and dutch brigades.

exactly........

him and Sasha developed their sound at Twilo for 4 years due to the fact that they could have more freedom and experiment with a crowd that was relatively new to that music.....in the UK, people were already becoming picky and snobby and would settle mostly for Oakenfold trance.......thing is though, S&D built a solid crowd and turned many of us into fans and from there, the international scene has grown ten fold so that reinforces my point.......the scene here is growing fast and you'll see in the years to come how things will change and as more people catch on to it, they will realize that JP is not the only DJ in the world........

ibclubbin- Mike is a great guy i met him once also. I came to one conclusion dont judge any dj too much by production. Last time I heard mike play he played some of his new stuff coming out and it was sick to say the least. Final Chapter was just one of those records that got big. he is def one of the best djs I have heard, in a long time.

peace

Where does MM spin? Maybe I'll check him out. And as for the electronic music scene in the US, it's very different from Europe. You have to consider the geography. Everything in Europe is so close together that it's easy for the music to diffuse into other countries, but here, the sound is different in many places. The NY, Cali, Detroit, and Miami sounds are all different. They develop in their own ways. The funny thing here is that KTU and all those cheesey stations are considered commercial and mainstream, while Ministry of Sound, Gatecrasher, etc. are considered to be "underground" in the relative sense. Back in England, they are all mainstream. While the US is definitely a couple years behind the music in Europe, the two are very difficult to compare. The sound varies wherever you go in the world. And it's especially difficult for the US to develop its own unique sound when it is so big. Hmmm...does that make sense? Maybe I'm rambling.

i think i remember him saying he would like to come back too...i was way too wasted though.....the only vocal i can recall him playing was Brand New Day, and its not a traditional vocal in the sense of a female diva singing about love or god or whatever...plus MM made the track so of course he is gonna play it:)

BG