Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone else HATE TRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by bodynsoul

Someone,

Please explain to me what the diff is between Trans and Techno....I know my house music therefor when I go to SF I'm mainly in the basement but sometimes I need to listen to something a little harder so I go upstairs to where Jonathan Peters is at...now is that techno or trans?

I've been to Twilo a couple of times and I enjoyed my self but I thought it was a little to hard for me....

:confused:

Techno is stuff like Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin,Juan Atkins, Cristian Vogel, Joe Beltram.

Its basically repititive intricate beats, but with a TOUCH of funkyness to it.

thats why you heard the terms tech-house. its basically techno mixed in with house.

Trance is stuff like Ferry Corsten, Lange, Tiesto the big cheezy sound.

Progressive House, is just House with a trancy feel to it.

Then there's a bunch of hybrids..there can be funky and tribal, or deep and tribal, deep and funky...bunch of shit

but real Techno is more repetitive with a slight funk to it. alot of people don't understand it.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Maybe I should have specified "cheese" trance or whatever you wanna call it....all I know is it puts me to sleep. Every trance set I heard bored the shit out of me.....including the shit I heard @ Twilo. Some times DT and other "House" DJ's I enjoy will get a little trancey.....that's fine. It's when it gets trancier and trancier throughout the night and never gets back to the HOUSE is when I:puke:

techno is very loop based. tends to be dubby. Kind of resembles a lego toy... looks cool and it's fun to play with cause it has so many pieces and mixing it is like assembling something. It's real fun.

trance is more of a linear progression - like you have the intro, the buildup, the chorus/climax, the resulting "hit" when the beat drops and then it fades back out.

The trax usually tend to be more melodic and not as loop-based. the samples tend to be more drawn out.

compare richie hawtin to a dj tiesto set and you'll see a clear difference.

Originally posted by mysterynyc

Techno is stuff like Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin,Juan Atkins, Cristian Vogel, Joe Beltram.

Its basically repititive intricate beats, but with a TOUCH of funkyness to it.

thats why you heard the terms tech-house. its basically techno mixed in with house.

Trance is stuff like Ferry Corsten, Lange, Tiesto the big cheezy sound.

Progressive House, is just House with a trancy feel to it.

Then there's a bunch of hybrids..there can be funky and tribal, or deep and tribal, deep and funky...bunch of shit

but real Techno is more repetitive with a slight funk to it. alot of people don't understand it.

Hummm...than I definitely like tech-house a lot better than the others, well, anything that get's me dancing and prancing, keep on moving.......music is the answer to your problems......lol!

I hope you don't think my question is silly?

I'm probably a little more new at this than most of you. I always loved house. Back in the day I use to go to The Sound Factory Bar where Cheetah is at now. Barbara Tucker use to run it but after that closed I only use to go to latin clubs. I refused to set foot in places like SF, Twilo, Tunnel etc... up until 3 1/2 years ago, when I started to date my boyfriend. He wanted to take me to SF on a Sat. for the first time and it was packed, they were not letting people in. The fire marshal was there. I think there were more people outside trying to get in than inside the club. We ended up at the Tunnel along with whole bunch of people trying to get in SF..lol! Too make a long story short, I was introduced to a whole diff club scene and I loved it!!!!!!!!!! I danced my ass off and it was the first time I broke night....we left the Tunnel at 10am! I had the best time :cool:

After that I went to SF, Twilo, Exit etc... but the place where I feel the most comfortable and feel right at home has to be The SF.

blah, blah, blah....sorry for rambling...

:blown:

I define trance as any kind of electronic music that can put me

into a trance whatever the style.

Industrial, goa...Acid trance :D

The more styles i get a privilage to experience the more

i adore electronica.

Then again there are certain stlyes i cant stand...

I sort of sterotype House Music as "Exit and that Roxyhell Crap"

but thats just me...

:flame:

"Music is all that matters."

It depends what kind of TRANCE.... I hate trendy, cheezzy shit like TIESTO, PAUL CROKENFOLD, PVD ETC...

Now there's JUNO REACTOR, KOX BOX, ATMOS & FRIENDS, INFECTED MUSHROOMS AND MANY OTHER NAMES THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER RIGHT NOW BUT, ARE OFF THE HOOK AND WORTH LISTENING TO...

SO IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF TRANCE "NOT ALL IS BAD"

Originally posted by mugwump

Any genre when done WELL is GOOD

given:

A) you are in the right frame of mind for it

(IN THE "MOOD")

B) You are open minded enough to try and appriciate

diversity

C)YOU UNDERSTAND THE "LANGUAGE" OF A SOUND

Music is language..

the more you understand the diverse dialects the more

you can read into the different stories that are told in a set..

ANY SET!

Now having said that I will say that I still

admire many Trance DJs and producers..

I have love for many different genres!

But I'm still open to see things develope.

I Do however feel that Trance hit a dead end a few years back..

(Its gone as far as it could and now sounds repetative)

4 on 4s need that extra cick from breakz baby..

But there are those artist that are trying to push it in new directions..

Look at psi trance..

tech-trance..

Goa etc..

There are many different forms of this

music..

Trance isnt just Oakie, S&D, and PVD people..

it's a rainbow.

(But to each his/her own cheese)

I have to agree with you mugz!!

one thing i dont understand: what the hell do people see in Tiesto??

i mean, the guy cant mix for his life, he plays the same tracks over and over again. he is almost as bad as oakenfold is now.

his sound is just really really played out. its cheezy, anthemy trance. what makes tiesto so special is beyond me i guess.

I was into Tiesto about 2 or 3 years ago...was listening to his Magik compilations.

Especially like Magik 4 - A New Adventure and also Magik 5 - Live in Amsterdam

but as time went by...I just progressed from it and got into more tribal,dubby,techy house.

It's not that I didnt like his music, just that I got a bit tired of that sound.

He's a very talented DJ/Producer.....that Tijs Verwest :).

Oakenfold on the other hand....WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED MY FRIEND.

he has SO MUCH talent...but he chooses to take it in the wrong direction. He is musically going BACKWARDS in time. And I DON'T mean going back to the roots of music, because alot of DJ/Producers are doing that in fact with house music, but he spins stuff that you would hear on a Dream Dance compilation with the dolphins on the cover. Take your pick 1 through 17 :).

In turn, trance isn't bad...just that trance itself has progressed...to stuff like tech-trance...artists such as Starecase,Max Graham,Tilt (Parks and Wilson), have made it into this techy, non cheezy, yet still trancy sounding form. and the guys who really take the cake on taking trance to a new level are Way Out West.

I can't even put their stuff in a category.If you've heard their album Intensify.... It's intelligent,powerful,INTENSE, trance. Even Deep Trance.no cheese whatsoever.

Maybe their track The Fall is a bit played out (thank you Dave Seaman, and John Digweed,lol)....but still nicely remixed from that 70's song Autumn Leaves :).

tiesto is kinda getting worn out

he seems like he needs a break

his remix of Tarantula could have been so much better

and PVD is getting awfully repetitive, and oakie is going backwards....but i'm still a trance fan. there are still some quality acts out there like Hiver & Hammer, Chab, Push, Tall Paul, and Sasha (:bows in respect:)

I have to agree on Tiesto...sorry mate...

I heard that there ain't a big market for trance in the U.S.

And that it will never get as big as in holland.

No offence, just want to let ya know that I will never turn my back on trance...

Although I got to tell ya...I'm looking for the less crowded places now...Been to Sensation (50.000 people) and Dance Valley (70.000 people) and had enough of it after years.

No for me it's back to the lounch and 5000-7500....

Also I learned to prefer Club...mixed with Disco/Salsa alla DJ Roog.

Never missing out on Marco V though...

attachment.php?postid=641095