Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A Question for all you DJ's out there!

I'm still having this big moral dilemma about buying my first pair of turntables. My friends who have been spinning a long time insist that I get nothing less than technics, and that if I can't afford them (which I can't) that I should wait until I can. The other side of the argument is - you may as well just buy something cheaper because spinning on sub-technic tables is better than not spinning at all. What do you all think? I won't go for anything less than direct drive at least, but what should I do about this?

. . . listen . . go out and get yourself some Solid Gemini belt driven tables and a solid mixer . . . then learn on them . .

. . . the reason I suggest this over the technics is because:

A) you may not find that spinning is your thing (and YES this can happen, and NO you don't want to be 1500+ bucks down on equipment when you come to that epiphany, if indeed you do . . )

B) At first the gemini's will work great . . but as time goes on, after say a year or so of abuse, the belts on the Geminis will slowly start to slip during playback . . This causes the beatmatching to become exponentially more difficult because now the tables are working against you . . . YOu'll have to work twice as hard . . which will improve your skill incredibly . .

. . .after you learn on shitty tables, buying the technics will be like upgrading a Geo Metro to a Mercedes Benz SL 600 . . . .

If you can afford them, do not get anything les than Technics. However, if you want to get started and don't have the cash, I am selling my starter package, which is in perfect condition, that I bought only 6 months ago. Its actually a very good and affordable way to get started. The decks are direct drive also by the way. I am selling them because I now have the cash for the Techs.

All the details can be found here:

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80232

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . listen . . go out and get yourself some Solid Gemini belt driven tables and a solid mixer . . . then learn on them . .

A) you may not find that spinning is your thing (and YES this can happen, and NO you don't want to be 1500+ bucks down on equipment when you come to that epiphany, if indeed you do . . )

B) At first the gemini's will work great . . but as time goes on, after say a year or so of abuse, the belts on the Geminis will slowly start to slip during playback . . This causes the beatmatching to become exponentially more difficult because now the tables are working against you . . . YOu'll have to work twice as hard . . which will improve your skill incredibly . .

. . .after you learn on shitty tables, buying the technics will be like upgrading a Geo Metro to a Mercedes Benz SL 600 . . . .

Definately a good call.........a kid I know from college did that, got sick of spinning in three months because he couldn't get the hang of it. Actually, his parents bought him the decks, but regardless it was a huge investment for nothing.

Learn on shitty Gemini's, beat the hell out of them, see if you like spinning, then upgrade yourself. You can find a decent set of Geminis with needles for 250 total.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

Exactly. I've mentioned this before, but I learned on a pair of Geminis (though they were direct drive) and I'm still happy I did so. As phunk said, learning on shitty decks makes you work harder at perfecting your skills. Then if you ever upgrade to 1200s, you can focus more on the creative side of mixing since you'll already have developed the technical skills.

phuture phunk is on the money...all the jocks i know, from the hobby types to glenn friscia (dont say who, you'll make me feel old) started out on very basic wheels and then built their way up...it's the foundation for learning any skill...

:cough:anyofthissoundfamiliarally:cough:;)

Okay, i know exactly your dillemma.

I bought a pair of Gemini PT2000III's when i first started 2 years ago. They're still in my room here and i FINALLY managed to buy myself a pair of Tech M3D's last week which will arrive soon.

I wish i'd bought the techs instead because it would've saved me a hassle...

BUT, i'm glad i bought these geminis because hey if you can mix on these, you can mix on pretty much anything.

So they have to get sold now to make up some cash for the techs.

It's not horrible if u can't afford techs, but truth be told if you have the money and patience, do it

You should buy what you can afford to see if you have the skill to mix (or the patience). Spinning is expensive. Records aren't cheap, so you have to consider that. I wouldn't buy anything belt driven but you can still find inexpensive direct-drive Gemini's or Numarks. My first tables were Gemini's, I kept them until I could afford my 1200's then I sold them. I only lost about $100 because they hold their value. You should also consider going with CD players (w/pitch controls) but that would depend on the kind on music you plan to spin. If you are only going to beat mix then CD's are the cheaper way to go. You can buy Pioneer 100's for $299 new and they have some effects on them. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Originally posted by smartclubber

You should buy what you can afford to see if you have the skill to mix (or the patience). Spinning is expensive. Records aren't cheap, so you have to consider that. I wouldn't buy anything belt driven but you can still find inexpensive direct-drive Gemini's or Numarks. My first tables were Gemini's, I kept them until I could afford my 1200's then I sold them. I only lost about $100 because they hold their value. You should also consider going with CD players (w/pitch controls) but that would depend on the kind on music you plan to spin. If you are only going to beat mix then CD's are the cheaper way to go. You can buy Pioneer 100's for $299 new and they have some effects on them. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Listen, forget about the CD's........learn how to spin vinyl. You will thank yourself later.

Originally posted by buredf

definelty go for technics.

u can buy them down on canal st for 400 per table.

and u can always turn around and sell them on ebay for the same price and u barely lose any money

do not buy anything from canal st. i bought a dn2600 there and one deck was broken. i also had problems exchanging it the next day.

I Started out on Gemini PT2000's as well as alot of other people i know. I think starting out on a "shitty" table makes you appreciate how Great the Technics really are (although I have moved along to my Vestax PDX2000 :D ) I still have my Technics...hey...4 tables...what can I say, Im learning!

My opinion on it - If you are sure that you wanna be REALLY into it, then by all means just go for the techs - thats what i did, and i honestly saved myself alot of frustration in the process, cuz whenever and wherever i play in the city or in jersey, i have only seen techs in the booth - so might as well learn with the equip that your gonna be playing out with.

If on the other hand, your still in the 'curious and willing to learn' kind of mind, then get the starter packs out there....

Lou

Hey Vixen

But why waist you money purchasing a lower quality turntable?

Ok lets look at it like this, the club and industry standard for the past 20 years, has been the Tech 1200s. why would you waist your money buying tables two times. Consider this first you buy Gemini or Pioneer or Denons, then after 2 years you decide you want the Technics, you have just waisted you money on the other tables becuase you could have held off for a little while longer and purchased the Techs. save your money and get the best the first time around, and in regards to not knowing weather or not DJing is your thing, that is something you have to decide on weather you are purchasing a 200 dollar turntable or a 400 dollar turntable. either or , If you are considering DJing, then you know what you want to do it, because you love the music.

Have you considered CD Djing, I think that is more of the cost effective methond of Djing today, for the only reason that you can get music for free off the net. and not pay 10 bucks a pop for a record.

this is my opinion.

Mane

I love my technics .. I suggest you *NOT* get technics..What happens if you don't like spinning? Buy some cheap direct drive turntables........Vestax makes some cheaper models that won't break your pocket.. If you happen to like it, buy 1200's , even the new Vestax is awesom if your into turntablism :) I started off on an BELT drive (evil grin) and a used 1200.... I know somebody that might be selling an used 1200 if your interested by the way..

Also you have to look at headphones, don't forget that...... If your not into spending tons of bucks on phones, go to some Guitar centers..I actually own the SonyMDR-700's that I *LOVE* but I don't think your into spending like 100 dollers on headphones....

Also speakers, good advice get Monitor speakers Roland makes some decent ones also that won't break your pocket & needles..

I own the Shure sc35c's that I know some people like myself love, and some people hate..If your going to be doing alot of scrattin' then I deff. say these are the ones to get :)