Clubplanet Nightlife Community

?Who is your favorite writer? (come on I know SOME of you can read)

dumas has got to be my fav, Les Miz is the best book ive ever read. also JJ Rousseau, not really a writer but talented anyway. Steinbeck is up there as well. for that action reading, Crighton is pretty good. Sphere, JPark, Nova Strain, good books.

During my lat eteenage years i think i read every V.C. Andrews book around.

Now my favorite author is DEAN KOONTZ. But JAMES PATTERSON and SYDNEY SHELDON are also good.

The only stephen king book i was actually able to read and get through was desperation(WHAT A GOOD BOOK!)

I read lots of history, political, and economical books; Richard Bach, Kahlil Gibran, Gustavo Sainz, Anne Rice, I used to love Stephen King, I think the Talisman is one of his best books...

Dostoyesvsky of course...Crime and Punishment was a good book...Pushkin's poems...Lermontov...Tolstoy...medieval Japanese literature...Arabic love poetry...to Ancient Chinese history...plus of course...Shakespeare.

Hemmingway is one of my favorites. His economical use of words is amazing... "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is a great read.

Kafka used to be my favorite, but reading his works makes YOU experience the torture that his characters undergo in the course of the work (intentionally on his part, I feel)... To me, Camus drives the point home in a much more pleasant manner.

Originally posted by lavendermenace

nice. whats your favorite?

I've only read neuromancer and burning chrome.

ditto here. prefer burning chrome.

but it boggles the mind how many themes/ideas surrounding cyber technology have been ripped right off of neuromancer.

started 'snow crash' by neal stephenson.

should pick it back up sometime...

have meant to read kafka's 'the trial'

(based on my love of metamorphosis)

which ironically arrived on my doorstep the day

i was fired from my last job (in november '00).

of course, hitchhiker's guide.

"now there's a guy who really knows where his towel is!"

douglas adams, may you forever rest in peace

... thanks for all the fish.

the great gatsby. i sometimes feel that i am nick, the ever-observant, but thoroughly uninvolved. (not all the time; there are times i feel all powerful. muhahahah!)

matt groening's the huge book of hell.

such art. such familiarity with human nature,

expressed... through a bunny??

vonnegut.

player piano, and sirens of titan.

demian by herman hesse.

crichton's jurrassic park.

no, NOT spielberg's jurrassic park.

CRICHTON's.

hmm i don't think i'm that well read, but some authors i enjoy:

zora neale hurston (their eyes were watching god)

dostoevsky (surprisingly loved crime and punishment)

c.s. lewis (all those chronicles of narnia books and screwtape letters)

camus (l'estranger)

frank peretti (this present darkness, piercing the darkness)

and that guy who wrote song of solomon

authors i do NOT enjoy:

bronte

austen

i'm sorry but i so did not enjoy reading pride and prejudice, sense and sensibility, jane eyre, bleh

philosophers (do you call em authors?) i enjoy:

plato and socrates

aristotle

nietzche

macchiavelli

st. augustine

aurelius

hm and that's all i can recall right now :)

ive gotta say Dumas is my favorite author..i read Count of Monte Cristo like 50 times and this movie that they just put out is ballz..straight garbage. A close second has got to be Mellville...Moby Dick i couldn't put down ..Recently I've been reading Dostoevsky and Mann..two bugged out authors with even more bugged out characters..but nevertheless entertaining.

Liteflyr u enjoyed Plato?? sorry to disagree but the Republic , as highly praised as it is , was one of the most tedious books i read in my life...it seemed to me that Plato built this republic in order to show how his Philosopher-KIngs must rule..to me it seemed selfish and pointless..

vladamir nabokov writes with amazing style and prose, i love how his words just flow and how he manages never to miss the slightest detail. i got an annotated copy of Lolita that explains all the allusions and metaphors but i haven't had a chance to read it yet...

i like j.d. salinger because he's a little off color. also, capote, shakespeare, wilde and a bunch of contemporary authors.

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

Liteflyr u enjoyed Plato?? sorry to disagree but the Republic , as highly praised as it is , was one of the most tedious books i read in my life...it seemed to me that Plato built this republic in order to show how his Philosopher-KIngs must rule..to me it seemed selfish and pointless..

hm well i never said i liked the republic specifically, but since you brought it up:

you make a good point and i thought it was tedious reading it too the first time but that's only because i had to read it for school. but now that i read it again it's actually quite interesting. and the philosopher king was only a small section of the entire republic. i liked the parts on allegory of the cave and virtues of the individual. but i liked reading euthyphro, crito and the apology more than the apology anyway.

and tastyt - yep thanks! and sorry didn't mean to imply she was a man.