Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wtc lights has to be the stupidest idea ever

Originally posted by a_jenkins

I think it's a great idea but poor execution. They pretty much look like glorified spotlights. Should have done it up with lasers like the Luxor in Vegas. Also from Queens, the lights look white instead of blue. Anyone else notice that?

agreed! Lasers would have been much more clear to see then these lights. Don't get me wrong, i like the memorial the way it is and it was necessary to do something...but i guess as the old saying goes- hindsight is 20/20.

Bern

Originally posted by clubmouse

hey tony, nothing more to say??

he doesn't think it's worth it to answer you because you only have 193 posts :laugh:.you just missed the cutoff point,lol. and he has close to 800 and he wants to conserve them for a later time. I mean c'mon, he has to save them for something more meaningful,like having a conversation with people that have 1000 or more posts :laugh:

:rolleyes::confused:

Guest jaxl

The sentiment was there and that should be all that matters. I personally thought the viewing deck that built was eerie and definitely not something I'd want to see up close and personal, just like the special that was on Sunday night (sorry I didn't tape it thought, for when I'm ready to watch) but everyone has their own way of dealing with loss and if the lights brings comfort to at least one person, then all is good IMO. It serves as a good reminder that we're not as invincible as we think.

NEW YORK -- Six months after they watched their greatest towers crash down, New Yorkers looked up again.

A girl orphaned in the Sept. 11 attacks flipped a switch at dusk Monday, and two thin columns of translucent bluish light soared into the sky over Lower Manhattan, symbolically recreating the World Trade Center and memorializing those lost there.

From subway entrances to the top of the Empire State Building to the suburbs of North Jersey, people looked up. On the George Washington Bridge, on the Staten Island Ferry, on the New Jersey Turnpike, people looked up.

Outside firehouses, firefighters looked up. Outside precinct houses, police officers looked up. On boats in New York Harbor, relatives of the lost looked up.

''The beams seem to go up forever,'' murmured Kathy Ganci, riding in a special ferry with hundreds of other firefighter families. Her husband, Peter, a fire department chief, died on Sept. 11.

''If we can't have our towers back,'' she added, ''this will do.'' But the towers of light will shine only until April 13; they will be succeeded eventually by a permanent memorial at Ground Zero.

On the Brooklyn rooftop from which she saw the towers collapse on a late summer morning, Morgan Tilley looked up. ''After what happened, this is the most inspiring thing I've ever seen,'' she said. ''These beams fill an emptiness.''

Some demurred. ''I miss the World Trade Center. I will miss it every day of my life. But I'm not sure the towers of light are it,'' said Elizabeth Berger, who lives across the street from Ground Zero.

Some looked up in hope, others in sorrow. Everyone looked up with the memory of that other day. People gathered at the same vantage spots as they had six months earlier, including Eagle Rock Reservation in West Orange, N.J.

Stacey McShane, 13, and her family found the ledge overlooking Manhattan so crowded that police stopped cars at the entrance. She noticed memorials left over from Sept. 11 -- photos, poems, flags. The beams, she said, were ''nice, but a little faint.''

Stacey was safely in school on Sept. 11, but Bill Rupp, a Jersey City fireman, wound up at Ground Zero, where he lost a friend in the towers' collapse. Rupp, 51, could barely talk as he watched the beams seem to arch overhead outside the Liberty Science Center. ''This is still too early for me,'' he said. ''The healing hasn't even begun.''

Watching on television at home in Brooklyn, Jack Zelmanowitz, 69, whose brother Abe died in the north tower after he stayed behind to keep a quadriplegic friend company, said he was reminded of a passage from the Book of Proverbs.

He recited it in Hebrew, in a voice that cracked from sorrow: '' 'The light of God is the soul of man. It seeks out every inner part of the human psyche.'

''To me, that means the symbol of light is a person's soul,'' he said. ''You can't extinguish it. We will fight and succeed and overcome these terrible times. I hope this light will shine forever.''

Jeannie Pagan, an Aon Corp. employee who was working on the 99th floor of the south tower and lost a cousin who worked in the north tower, watched the lights from a pier on the East River in Brooklyn.

When the beams appeared at 6:55 p.m., she and her friends clapped and cheered as if the Mets had won the pennant. ''This put my towers back there for me,'' she said. ''That big empty void is finally filled.''

Dereck Lovell, 45, a security guard who worked in the south tower, returned to Lower Manhattan ''to take a few pictures to show the kids. It's good to see these lights, but it doesn't bring back good memories.''

Lovell said he knew seven other security guards at Morgan Stanley who perished on Sept. 11.

The twin pillars came from two light banks, each with 44 lamps, mounted in a lot near Ground Zero. The Tribute in Light cost $10,000. The Consolidated Edison utility is donating electricity.

The lighting began with a brief ceremony. ''We don't need a lot of speeches,'' Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The lights were flicked on by 12-year-old Valerie Webb, whose father, Nathaniel, a Port Authority policeman, was lost in the north tower. Her mother died of a heart attack two years ago.

Earlier, in a morning ceremony several blocks from Ground Zero, hundreds of mourners paused for two moments of silence marking the precise times when two airliners hit the towers and killed more than 2,800 people Sept. 11.

City officials dedicated a sculpture damaged in the attack as a temporary memorial in Battery Park. The Sphere, a steel-and-bronze sculpture that stood in the fountain of the Trade Center plaza, was gashed and partially crushed by falling debris.

''It survived the collapse of the twin towers, as did the idea that catalyzed its creation: a peaceful world based on trade and the free movement of people and ideas,'' Bloomberg said. ''This is just a temporary memorial. . . . The real memorial will be in our hearts.''

JUST THOUGHT THST SOME OF YOU WOULD CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT THIS......

we have enough negativity surrounding 9/11 without people coming on here specifically to post shit like this...

i think the lights are everything they should be. beacons of hope shining up to what seems like infinity.

and if you don't like it, just shut your eyes for the next three weeks.

Originally posted by t0nythelover

omg, bright lights in manhattan, what a bad idea. its like they flew planes in to attack us, and now there are two lights like giant targets basically saying, attack us again, well make it even ezier for u. not a smart idea, but thats just my oppininon.

its better to be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Well, I, for the first time, got to see the WTC lights yesterday night.

I had a wedding to go to, and the reception was at this pavilion that was way up high on a mountain reserve type thing, gorgeous place, but there is a huge outlook area where you can see the NYC skyline.. looks beautiful, just missing the two towers.. :(

The lights looked ok.. I think the idea of them is more important than the actual lights themselves..

What was nice was that on the outlook, there was a memorial set up all along the railing and stuff..

It was really pretty.

I think it's a good idea. And I think your complaining about it being a temporary memorial. And they should have a better permanant one. Well, your exactly right. It is temporary. And there gonna build a permanant one in the future. I think the lights are there to symbolize the 6 month anniversary or something. I think it's a good idea to have the lights up there as sort of a memorial. I can't think of anything better they could do right now.

Well i have more than 200 posts so i suppose i've made Tony the Guido's cutoff limit.

All i have to say is:

I lost family in that attack, asshole. It's nice for me to see two lights shining up into the sky to give me a sense of hope, pride and love for those whom i lost.

If that just shits all over your anti-government anarchy-rules parade, then that's just too god damn bad. Take your dainty little prissy-lace-pink-panties ass home and shut the fuck up.

Just because you helped on 9-11 doesn't make you an omniscient saint who can say what he thinks because he was there.

it's a shame our society is so open and free sometimes. you should first be glad the police haven't stormed into your house, shot you in the head and mailed the cost of the bullet to your family for saying what you have.

Originally posted by fuclubkidd

i hope to god that u did not know anybody that perished 6 months ago. the lights signify a path to heaven which is where the souls of all the heroes of 9-11 went. its a shame that some1 from the NYC area would even think to say that its a bad idea. think about what u just posted, think about what happened on 9-11, and then think about the true meaning of the beautiful work of art that now shines over our great city.

May all our heroes R.I.P :confused::(:confused::(

Etienne! :D

lights to heaven....very poetic and yet so sad:(

Originally posted by fuclubkidd

i hope to god that u did not know anybody that perished 6 months ago. the lights signify a path to heaven which is where the souls of all the heroes of 9-11 went. its a shame that some1 from the NYC area would even think to say that its a bad idea. think about what u just posted, think about what happened on 9-11, and then think about the true meaning of the beautiful work of art that now shines over our great city.

May all our heroes R.I.P :confused::(:confused::(

Etienne! :D

Amen, as a dutchie but with family at 3rd ave., I realy get moved by these lights. The events even got more emotional to see it thru my firefighter eyes. I wish everybody, with brains, the best wishes and know that we still are in grief and think a lot about those who have fallen and those who still suffer.

Much warmth from Holland,

p.s. La la land, is where I need to be....La la land is the place

that sets me free.

Originally posted by t0nythelover

but i can guarantee that i was the only cp person that risked my ass at groundzero the day it happened. so if u dont like my oppinnion thats too bad but walk the walk before you talk the talk(that means u clubmouse)

how the fuck do u know that? u don't know what i did down there in the first few days.

as someone else that can "walk the walk", i def don't think that the lights make us more likely to be attacked. i think that they make a nice memorial, but something more permanent would be better, and money could be better spent.

(sorry, didn't read this whole thread only the first few b4 some attitude pissed me off)

as for the lights signifying a path to heaven...well, the represent different stuff for different peeps. some of us don't believe in heaven.

to me they basically say that u can't kill our spirit and are a big old FUCK U on top of that. i think its very cool to look out across the river and see them at night.

yes, i also lost lots of peeps 9-11 - but i don't think that's a requirement for having something to say about this.