Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why does everyone seem to think that anyone with enough money can be a DJ?

Originally posted by roha3000

Where have you guys seen a newbie get a good spot to spin?

FYI, Fergie did his first Essential Mix about 9 months after he first started spinning, and was a resident at some major clubs about 6 months after he started.

If you ask me, the reason is because there are a lot of no-talent DJs out there who are very popular. I'll try not to mention too many names, but there are DJs who just memorize a set and play the same set every time they spin out (i.e. Bad Boy Bill), DJs who only spin music that's pretty old (infer your own examples on this one, although Gemini maintains a huge following in FL despite being an offender), and some who are the most popular DJs in the world yet have much less talent than some local jocks who have been around just as long. If you take a look at who the 'superstar DJs' are, then you'll see why a lot of people think they too can become a big name DJ without putting in a lot of time. Obviously, that isn't entirely true; however, if you do have enough money, it's still possible. I do know people who have bought themselves residencies, and a few years ago there was the whole "washed up actor/musician turned DJ" phenomenon where a couple of the Baldwins, Parry Farrell, former soccer stars, etc all started DJing and kind of rode their names to support tours when they probably shouldn't have even been playing out yet. Then there's just a few DJs who were just in the right place at the right time when whatever scene they were in blew up.

I guess the point is, if you think a certain DJ is good, support them. Stop buying Tiesto and Oakenfold CDs and paying 40 bucks a pop to see them (I'll grant that Tiesto can produce, but DJ??) and support people who have been around for a while who you'd like to see get bigger. If a DJ at a certain club you like keeps playing the same tracks they play on KTU, stop going to see them and go somewhere else. And if you're thinking of starting to DJ because you're trying to pick up bitches and not because you love the music, then forget about it....with the amount of money you'll spend, you'll be able to get laid much more just by buying clubsluts drinks and taking women on dates to expensive restaurants.

Originally posted by anthonyn

alls i have to say bout this is, its great seeing mad peeps intrests in clubs, raves, dj, ect...

but, the thing i noticed is things r mad diff,

i started spinning in clubs when DT was at tunnel, i was in the basement. i used to have to pay to get in. id walk in at bout 12 and walk around till 5 am when gonzo(ivan) would let spin till they shut the room. i was lucky he helped me out more then u can imagine, i was lucky. after a few months they finally, comped me and moved us to the hall way n i spun 10-2 before ivan. to make a long story short, i payed me dues, for the most part i think. it seems like the kids these days comming up get a set of decks n burn some shit off napster, and they think they r ready for a main floor. that is the only thing that really gets me heatted. peeps may say i havent produced anything, well i have. i used to have a record label(xtortion-records) im still apart of but due to other things going on its now secondary.

so my advise to any1 who wants to spin, be humble, dont burn any bridges, and dont forget its all about the music and dedication. i wanna be a dj u gotta live the life, full time not parttime.

a nero

So for you, what makes up "living the life of a dj"...

For me its:

Practice Practice Practice

Supporting Parties and the scene in general

Schmoozing (as much as i hate it somtimes it has to be done)

Some of my friends that are dj's have gotten very bitter recently. They complain about how they've been djing for years and how they get no love or respect because they cant find a place to play out in jersey or in nyc. So i ask them, are you out there handing out demos, meeting people, and supporting the music you love? And of course the answer i get from them is "uh, no." Come on ppl! if you expect to want to get a gig somewhere you have to get your face out there!

Golden Rule:

Support the Scene, and the Scene will eventually support you.

Lou (^_^)

Originally posted by brickhouse

FYI, Fergie did his first Essential Mix about 9 months after he first started spinning, and was a resident at some major clubs about 6 months after he started.

If you ask me, the reason is because there are a lot of no-talent DJs out there who are very popular. I'll try not to mention too many names, but there are DJs who just memorize a set and play the same set every time they spin out (i.e. Bad Boy Bill), DJs who only spin music that's pretty old (infer your own examples on this one, although Gemini maintains a huge following in FL despite being an offender), and some who are the most popular DJs in the world yet have much less talent than some local jocks who have been around just as long. If you take a look at who the 'superstar DJs' are, then you'll see why a lot of people think they too can become a big name DJ without putting in a lot of time. Obviously, that isn't entirely true; however, if you do have enough money, it's still possible. I do know people who have bought themselves residencies, and a few years ago there was the whole "washed up actor/musician turned DJ" phenomenon where a couple of the Baldwins, Parry Farrell, former soccer stars, etc all started DJing and kind of rode their names to support tours when they probably shouldn't have even been playing out yet. Then there's just a few DJs who were just in the right place at the right time when whatever scene they were in blew up.

I guess the point is, if you think a certain DJ is good, support them. Stop buying Tiesto and Oakenfold CDs and paying 40 bucks a pop to see them (I'll grant that Tiesto can produce, but DJ??) and support people who have been around for a while who you'd like to see get bigger. If a DJ at a certain club you like keeps playing the same tracks they play on KTU, stop going to see them and go somewhere else. And if you're thinking of starting to DJ because you're trying to pick up bitches and not because you love the music, then forget about it....with the amount of money you'll spend, you'll be able to get laid much more just by buying clubsluts drinks and taking women on dates to expensive restaurants.

Dude, I agree, Oakie has lost the creativity and high level of performance he once had. But hey, you can't deny that he got to where he is today with his talent. The man used to rip shit up. He had a talent that few out there could match. Now he plays dats at concerts and pretends to spin. Sure, he is no longer on top of the game, but he is certainly not what this topic is bitching about. He is a sell out at best. But he is or was certainly a DJ.

You mentioned some people who bought some residencies, but that is obviously not commonplace. For the most part, DJs struggle to get by. They play for the love of the music, not the money they expect to get for doing it (obviously there isn't much money in it to begin with). Maybe my perceptions are wrong or I just haven't been exposed to it, but I just haven't seen DJs doing gigs they are inexperienced for. Personally, as an aspiring DJ, I wouldn't want to take on an event I could not handle or was not prepared for. That would only hurt me in the long run.

If you have different experiences please share them.

Originally posted by PFloyd40

bro, anyone saying you've havent' paid your dues is full of shit..

guys like you and russ reign who started back at d-tour (*sigh*) are crazy talented and deserve everything you get, actually more i think..

Thanks for the compliment bro, I appreciate the recognition. Yea, Ive def been spinning for a while now, almost ten years... those Tunnel days were by far my favorite too... I swear that playin in that Mezzanine in the hey day was more rewarding for me than any main floor Ive done anywhere... The people and the scene were so great! And whether it was DT or Eddie Baez on the main floor I'd always go down to learn and listen before and after my sets... went to check out Nero too, he's a great DJ and deserves all the recognition he's finally getting.

Yea, everyone seems to be a DJ nowadays. In my eyes there's really nothing wrong with that. BUt beginners need to remember about paying their dues. There were countless times I could have scumbagged a friend or more experienced DJ to get a gig, but that's one thing I'll never do, and I'd hope that no one else on here would either. There has to be a certain level of respect among those who call DJing a career, otherwise we have nothing :(

And one more thing - buy a record every now and then! Hehe...

Don't force us producers to get a second job packing bags at Walmart... :)

As is within any business, everyone has to pay their dues before success comes knocking on the door...

Being a female dj who has been spinning for 6 yrs., I fully respect that and have been doing so ever since I started. I'm waiting for something huge to happen, but don't mind all the practice and "smaller" gig experiences I've gotten in the meantime. I truly just enjoy spinning and I know it's only going to make my performance that much stronger in the long run.

But there are def. some "dj's" out there who haven't paid their dues.

THAT is what gets me frustrated--when simply "knowing" someone who has the power to get u a nice gig is what gets u places and not your TALENT.

The fact that this particular situation even exists is absolutely retarded.

It might have something to do with the DJ nowadays being equivalent to the rock star. Everybody wants a piece of the spotlight...

However, if that's the only reason you're doing it (and not for the love of the music and playing for the people)....it just doesn't make any sense, and it is def. the wrong reason.

Much love to all the dj's who practice, practice, practice and give a shit about the music!!

-S DEE

I have been listening to and spinning house music as a hobby for over 5 years now, and my beatmatching and mixing skills aren't even good. It took me a long time just to figure simple shit out, like when to bring the next song in and what to spin and at what time. I used to throw anything on there for the sake of listening to it, then I started organizing my sets and learning how to build a vibe that at least I could feel.

There are far too many dj's in New York (both known and unknown) that have so much talent. I give endless amounts of respect to the dj's who can create their own vibe as well as a solid following. I will never pursue dj'ing as a career, but in regards to why I started djing (or spinning, in my case) is because I have loved, do love, and always will love house music with every inch of my heart and soul. After attending class from 7am-5pm and then going to work from 6pm-11:30pm, nothing beats coming home and spinning from midnight to whenever. The feelings and emotions that house music evokes in my soul are so intense that I can't even dance to some songs; I just like to listen. Cranking some phat beats at the loudest possible volume and feeling the floor shake beneath me are reasons enough for spinning.

God bless New York City and the dj's who make our nightlife unrivaled.

Before this all drifted off into "paying your dues" chatter, the question raised a basic issue that DJing has that other forms of musicianship don't. (See attached picture)

Maybe I'm just trying to raise hell here, but the reality is you are PLAYING RECORDS, not creating the MUSIC....anyone can put a record on a turntable... you don't have to read music, write melodies, harmonies, etc- there are no schools, no curriculumns, no scales and proper fingering. There is a very DIY vibe about DJing, and until you actually stand behind decks and try and beatmatch, it seems easy. Even then, learning to beatmatch is really not an "artistic" endeavor. There is an illusiveness to what makes someone a good DJ vs a great DJ that allows everyone and their mother to think they have what it takes. Particularly because a huge part of it comes down to taste- the Dj's selections being the material- and everyone likes their own taste, so until you get out in front of a crowd, how do you know if your taste sucks or not? And with the influx of new "electronica" fans, this is made more intense -Unless one has a thorough appreciation for the skills it takes to create great sets, the "art" of Djing appears like an easy road to the top of MOUNT COOL!

honestly im not really down with this whole paying your dues thing....to me its how good you are not how long you've been schmoozing. I'll take a DJ who's sick but has been locked himself in his bedroom for 10 years than someone who started a year ago and just schmoozes all the time. when i hear a dj for the first time all i care about is his mixing skills, his track selection (most importantly), and his "flow" (ie: does the set progresses, tell a story, or is he just throwing records on randomly). the last one is really hard and truly shows the art aspect of djing imo.

but unfortunately this business is just like every other.....its not how good you are but who you know. :blank:

Originally posted by saigray

Before this all drifted off into "paying your dues" chatter, the question raised a basic issue that DJing has that other forms of musicianship don't. (See attached picture)

Maybe I'm just trying to raise hell here, but the reality is you are PLAYING RECORDS, not creating the MUSIC....anyone can put a record on a turntable... you don't have to read music, write melodies, harmonies, etc- there are no schools, no curriculumns, no scales and proper fingering. There is a very DIY vibe about DJing, and until you actually stand behind decks and try and beatmatch, it seems easy. Even then, learning to beatmatch is really not an "artistic" endeavor. There is an illusiveness to what makes someone a good DJ vs a great DJ that allows everyone and their mother to think they have what it takes. Particularly because a huge part of it comes down to taste- the Dj's selections being the material- and everyone likes their own taste, so until you get out in front of a crowd, how do you know if your taste sucks or not? And with the influx of new "electronica" fans, this is made more intense -Unless one has a thorough appreciation for the skills it takes to create great sets, the "art" of Djing appears like an easy road to the top of MOUNT COOL!

Yes, I do see what you're saying...being a songwriter is more conventially "artistic" and somewhat more challenging than djing....I play guitar besides djing, so I'm not a strictly 100% turntable girl, I enjoy other musical endeavors as well. I practice djing more frequently however (and take it more seriously than I do the guitar) and I think that becoming what is considered a "good dj" does take some key elements that are NOT so easy to obtain.

-Good track selection (with whatever genre u play)

-Proper placement of track within in a set (beginning of set, peak hr., afterhours, etc.)

-Beatmatching/Turntable skills (this is such a must in my book, I've heard way too many who can't do this well and it kills me)

-Using the previous 3 elements to create a great, energetic vibe throughout the night

If you are JUST PLAYING RECORDS, and u consider that the DJ artform, then, I dunno...u need to get a clue (and u can go to the top of Mt. Cool with the rest of them, as Saigray put it). What I'm saying is a great DJ knows how to not just play records and make the experience something more than that.

(And let's not forget those Turntablist dudes that actually use the turntable as an instrument, scratching and tweeking to the rhythm...)

Originally posted by sdeelite

-Good track selection (with whatever genre u play)

-Proper placement of track within in a set (beginning of set, peak hr., afterhours, etc.)

-Beatmatching/Turntable skills (this is such a must in my book, I've heard way too many who can't do this well and it kills me)

-Using the previous 3 elements to create a great, energetic vibe throughout the night

HEY! stop copying my posts!! :) :) :)

approaching dj'ing from a producer's point of view...

(i have a back catalogue of over 150 finished tracks)

...i can say, for me at least, that there is definately

an art behind what has to be done to create

a great set that upon hearing it people will

be totally 'aving it on the dancefloor, or even

just tickling the ears of a home listener.

Originally posted by dr0ne

HEY! stop copying my posts!! :) :) :)

Crazy...I didn't see your post until after I posted, it wasn't there when I clicked to respond, which means we were both basically writing the same thing as the same time without knowing! :woah:

oh, and btw dr0ne, I like the way you think! :D