Clubplanet Nightlife Community

kitten's S&D/Goldie review... add yours here! *WITH PICS & FUNNY STORY*

happykittn

First of all... can I be the first to say that I was VERY disappointed the doors weren't open to Embassy/Modern/Axis from Avalon? I had hoped I was paying $44 to see S&D, Goldie, AND JP... and was upset to find we'd be in one club, all night. Was anyone else aware of this? Oh well... it all worked out later in the evening...

Got to the door around 10:30pm... my girl Jesse and I didn't have to wait in line, which was nice... the bouncer pulled us aside and took us to the front. Does this usually happen?? Anyways... there was a mixed crowd inside... all types, from suits to ufo's and sneakers. Definite sausagefest, but not as bad as Factory... we walked in to see Sasha stepping up to the tables... made our way to the front of the stage, about 8 feet away from the man himself... and almost died in the process. The place was PACKED... there were some fucked up kids almost puking on the stage in front of Sasha, rolling their balls off... I mean, come ON... if you're gonna do that, go pass out somewhere else... not less than 10 feet in front of the dj. Seriously... ugh. >o.O<

Sasha was great, but it was just too damn crowded to really enjoy the music... I took a break at the bar with my friend Mike, who ran into his boy Tim, head of security at Axis... he told us we could go on over to see Goldie whenever we wanted... which was cool, but I wanted to see Digweed. When he came on, the place went nuts... I was DEFINITELY feeling his beats (moreso than Sasha's), and did a lil more dancing... but it was really still too packed to do much of anything. It was ridiculous... we were all squished together like sardines, which was frustrating because the music was good... venue was just way too small...

I wanted to see if I could find some of you CP peeps, so I took Jesse to chill in the VIP lounge for a little while... had a couple drinks, looked out for CP heads under the stage where the dj normally spins... nobody came up, which was disappointing because I really wanted to meet you guys... awww... :( Maybe next time...

At about 1am, we took off to Axis... which was AMAZING. The vibe was incredible, and Goldie was off the hook... he played some of my favorite tracks, and THERE WAS ROOM TO DANCE AND BREATHE... incredible!! Such positive energy... I honestly wish we'd gone to Axis earlier, instead of being stuffed into Avalon... S&D were great, but Goldie was fabulous... did anyone else have the chance to check him out?

FUNNY STORY, AS PROMISED:

Jesse and I chilled after Goldie finished his last and waited to talk to him... he hugged us and we chatted for a bit... Jesse decided to be a dork and ask for his autograph on the back of her S&D ticket. He scribbled something on it, and when we finally found a place with enough light to decipher his writing, we read: "Sasha SUCKS! Goldie"... :tongue:

Okay, I'm off to pass out now... I'm sure I left some stuff out, and I'll post anything else I remember when I wake up tomorrow. Feel free to SHARE YOUR OWN STORIES... I wanna hear... :D

Oh yeah... Jesse and I got bored waiting for our ride so we decided to fool around with my webcam... here are the results, pre-Avalon... if you recognize us next time, shout out...

Exhausted,

~kitten

RANT:

Did anyone notice how Boston Beat's booth wasn't set up?? Well I did seeing as how I was supposed to be helping them out. We never even got in. T he Avalon people couldn't help us since technically it was a "concert" and it was up to the tour manager...so i just went home sulked and threw on S&D live from homelands 2000.

Hey was in Avalon last night, for S&D. Actually, most all of the CP heads that I was with were over in front of the stage about 20 feet back, then we went up towards the side bar. It just too hot down on the dance floor.

But I didn't get too see Goldie, really was just too squished to even move anywhere. I found that the dance floor was packed, not as bad as I had thought it would be. But lots of meathead guys, and girls, some were just downright nasty!! But had a great time chilling with all my CP peeps, you guys are mad cool.

S&D were very cool, was dancing from the time that I arrived at 8:30 until closing, there were some very banging beats! The soundsystem was key too, I really enjoyed the sound of the hanging speakers.

Rise was cool, Mike had to drag me hom kicking and screaming, I had to work today and didn't want to leave as Ali was amazing. This kids got some skills. I wish I could have hung around longer, fun time....

So overall last night was a really good time, had a blast with everyone. We made our own little vibe amoung our group, it made the night in my opinion.

See everyone at Deep Dish next weekend....

Jessica

Kitten, some really cool pics. Wish you could have met up with us last night.

I wasn't overly impressed with S&D this time around. I thought that in Nov they rocked it much more. But oh well. I did have a great time last night though, with everyone:D Jess how bad were you feeling this morning?

I will have to agree on Ali rocking Rise. Carelli and I were talking about that on the way home from there. He is on point and I can't wait to catch him again!! See you fools next Friday. Deep Dish then to Rise for Porter:eek: Off to make something of this Sat.

peace

Drew

Originally posted by vikkii123

Had an awesome time Friday night but would have to agree with Drew they did rock it more back in November. Sorry I couldn't make it to Rise :( Heard it was a great time though hope every one had a great weekend :)

Yeah Rise was a good time, you will have to head over next time:D

I had a great time friday night - i agree that November's show was a little better, but they still put on a great show.

As soon as i walked in i was saying "Everyone will be on the stage - to the right, on the stage - to the right." but the only person on the stage was Jimmy VM, and I was sure he would have had no idea who i was. Sorry i didn't get a chance to meet up with any of you, but i'll wear a big sign next time so i can't be missed :D

Digweed was amazing - absoluty fantastic. Sasha was awsome but i just couldn't get into his set for some reason. JVM was outstanding as well - what do we have to do to get him to play a full set around here? I'd be the first one in for that show.

The only thing i wasn't too impressed with was the visuals they had on screen. Most seemed pretty repetitive and didn't fit too well with the music. There were two that really tripped me out and looked real cool - the one where there were the little tribal figures walking out of the fire very slowly - kinda creepy actually and the other that looked like an old school video game with a space ship shooting down aliens (the whole crowd went nuts when that one popped up)

In case anyone was wondering here's a very, very small tracklist. If anyone can add to this please do --

Envy - Falling (dub)

Lustral - Everytime (yunnis/mavi mix)

Sasha - Wavy Gravy (the last track of the night OUTSTANDING!!!)

Bedrock - Forged

Envelope - Packet (acetate)

Weekend Players - Into The Sun (chab dub)

Madoka - Dive

Underworld - Dark and Long (some new reworking)

Schmuel - Chilling Moments

Pete Lazonboy - Wave Speech

??? - Loverman (blackwatch mix)

2nd Hand Satellites - Orbit

Plus on the visual guy. My boy does the lights and he had Fri off and S&D's guy told Avalon not to do too much with the lights that they had it. But, towards the end if you noticed the laser bugging out that was them because they said fuck it!

Originally posted by a1wave

i have to say that S&D are good but not all that I expected... Ali Ajami at Rise was much more rockin IMO... maybe next time S&D will move me

Friday was my third time seeing Sasha and Digweed (saw them once at Twilo, twice at Avalon), and everytime I leave saying that exact same thing. I just don't think I like hearing them live... they're too low-key, they don't make me move. I think their mixing is as good as it gets, the songs they play are still good, but they just don't do it for me.

I'm wondering when I'll finally learn my lesson. It sucks paying $40 and not having a wonderful time.... especially when I know full-well I could have paid $20 to see someone else and have been blown off my feet. Not to mention, the crowd is getting more and more like little raver kids. I swear if I saw one more 18 year old holding a glowstick in their hand (for no good reason) while they danced like a moron I was going to snap. I did kind of snap on this one kid that kept hitting me in the head with his glowstick... am I getting too old to put up with that crap!?! :confused:

I was SO glad I saw Ali afterwards, he made my night. I wanted so bad to hand him a note that said "You're 100 times better than Sasha"... if only Jackie had a pen! ;)

Originally posted by nyis4meatheads

Friday was my third time seeing Sasha and Digweed (saw them once at Twilo, twice at Avalon), and everytime I leave saying that exact same thing. I just don't think I like hearing them live... they're too low-key, they don't make me move. I think their mixing is as good as it gets, the songs they play are still good, but they just don't do it for me.

I'm wondering when I'll finally learn my lesson. It sucks paying $40 and not having a wonderful time.... especially when I know full-well I could have paid $20 to see someone else and have been blown off my feet. Not to mention, the crowd is getting more and more like little raver kids. I swear if I saw one more 18 year old holding a glowstick in their hand (for no good reason) while they danced like a moron I was going to snap. I did kind of snap on this one kid that kept hitting me in the head with his glowstick... am I getting too old to put up with that crap!?! :confused:

:laugh: brian for the 40 minuts that i saw them at the crackshack in Malden in November i thought they were great! :tongure: althoughi i didnt see that at avalon that night, the ppl that did, said they were better at that "strp mall" than at the club.

and yeah that sucks that all clubs weren't open thtat night. did avalon even announce that they weren't doing that? i mean $40 is a deal for all three clubs, but NOT if its just one.

btw so how did the club handle the crowd control, etc on friday? just cruious to see how long the wait was in the lines and so forth. at the factory on friday, the line was down 46th, around onto the west side highway and wrapped back up 45th. Amazingly for a line that long, the wait was only an hour honestly i dont think that is that bad -- everyone knew they were going to wiat.

Originally posted by nycchic24

:laugh: brian for the 40 minuts that i saw them at the crackshack in Malden in November i thought they were great! :tongure: althoughi i didnt see that at avalon that night, the ppl that did, said they were better at that "strp mall" than at the club.

and yeah that sucks that all clubs weren't open thtat night. did avalon even announce that they weren't doing that? i mean $40 is a deal for all three clubs, but NOT if its just one.

btw so how did the club handle the crowd control, etc on friday? just cruious to see how long the wait was in the lines and so forth. at the factory on friday, the line was down 46th, around onto the west side highway and wrapped back up 45th. Amazingly for a line that long, the wait was only an hour honestly i dont think that is that bad -- everyone knew they were going to wiat.

Yeah, I think I need to catch them at a crack-shack then! :tongue:

Avalon didn't announce that, they just kind of did it (wow, shadiness at a club, who would have thought!?!).... The crowd control on Friday was really good. We got there semi-early (a little after 8 I think) and got in within 20 minutes or so. A bonus was that the will call and ticket holder lines moved at pretty close to the same pace, so no one was stuck inside or outside without friends for too long.

I'm shocked that the PVD line wasn't that bad... how on earth did they fit all those people into factory!?! (it's big, but isn't that big). My friend went to PVD (after we tried for days to talk him out of it), and complained that he didn't get in. (To give you an idea how clueless he is, after "not getting in" to PVD he went to Webster Hall (it should be noted that he's 24 and his girlfriend is 19). But Webster Hall... :vomit:

Yeah, I think I need to catch them at a crack-shack then! :tongue:

Avalon didn't announce that, they just kind of did it (wow, shadiness at a club, who would have thought!?!).... The crowd control on Friday was really good. We got there semi-early (a little after 8 I think) and got in within 20 minutes or so. A bonus was that the will call and ticket holder lines moved at pretty close to the same pace, so no one was stuck inside or outside without friends for too long.

I'm shocked that the PVD line wasn't that bad... how on earth did they fit all those people into factory!?! (it's big, but isn't that big). My friend went to PVD (after we tried for days to talk him out of it), and complained that he didn't get in. (To give you an idea how clueless he is, after "not getting in" to PVD he went to Webster Hall (it should be noted that he's 24 and his girlfriend is 19). But Webster Hall... :vomit:

are you sure he went to THE SOUND FACTORY on 46/11. from what i understand everyone got in.. my friend got there at 3:30 and there was no line anymore. he probably saw the line and punked out. my "he's not my bf" got there at 11:30 and got into line on 45th. he waited no more than 45 minutes. i gotta say that for the amt of ppl that showed up (rumor is 7000) thta the club handled it quite efficiently. once the line got mving, they got the ppl in the door pretty quickly and w/ relatively little hassle. but PVD was soooo worth it. you guys really missed out!

and webster hall???:rolleyes: gawd just go down the street a lil more and go to Vinyl :blown:

Originally posted by nycchic24

are you sure he went to THE SOUND FACTORY on 46/11. from what i understand everyone got in.. my friend got there at 3:30 and there was no line anymore. he probably saw the line and punked out. my "he's not my bf" got there at 11:30 and got into line on 45th. he waited no more than 45 minutes. i gotta say that for the amt of ppl that showed up (rumor is 7000) thta the club handled it quite efficiently. once the line got mving, they got the ppl in the door pretty quickly and w/ relatively little hassle. but PVD was soooo worth it. you guys really missed out!

and webster hall???:rolleyes: gawd just go down the street a lil more and go to Vinyl :blown:

Yeah, this friend is a MORON when it comes to this stuff. I sitll haven't even talked to him yet, I just heard all of this from Jackie. I guaruntee he saw the long line, wimped out and went to awful, awful Webster Hall... how awful. The first thing I thought, was WHY ON EARTH wouldn't you just go check out Danny T at Vinyl... it'd probably be the best night of the year to see him there... no crowd!!

What can ya do?? some people will never get it

Yeah, this friend is a MORON when it comes to this stuff. I sitll haven't even talked to him yet, I just heard all of this from Jackie. I guaruntee he saw the long line, wimped out and went to awful, awful Webster Hall... how awful. The first thing I thought, was WHY ON EARTH wouldn't you just go check out Danny T at Vinyl... it'd probably be the best night of the year to see him there... no crowd!!

What can ya do?? some people will never get it

yeah i mean go to roxy over webster hall -- lol

and yeah, i went with anti-factory ppl and they had a great time. one dude who had never been there before, walked and was like - "whoa. this place makes vinyl look like a dump" :)

AND my "factory friends" that are JP disciples that decided to venture out on friday even admitted that the music was excellent

look at that, music bringing two different types of ppl together :laugh: lol

I wouldnt be too pissed off @ Avalon for not opening up all the doors between the clubs Friday. Yes it was promoted as 'land x 4, but I don't think anyone was prepared for the tight stanglehold the Delta Heavy Tour Management would have on the place. I'm sure they had final say in the doors being kept closed. It's easier to keep an eye on the Avalon entrance to make sure everyone pays their $40 to get in, than all 4 doors. They had their own security, staff....everything it seemed except bartenders. They basicly rented out the club to host their event like a typical concert. Ali Ajami didn't even get let in they were so set on there NOT being any guest list what-so-ever (unless he paid). The fact they had the doors open for a bit is applaudable under these circumstances.

The fact that SF let in that many people in such a short amount of time shows that its much better to NOT have advanced tickets! What a waste to buy tickets in advance. Just let people in that show up. You don't get there early enough, tough. Standing in a will call line that was run by one girl Friday night SUCKED.

I've caught Digweed by himself once and the duo in last November at Avalon, BOTH were AMAZING memorable nights. I have to say that I'm glad I decided to pass that night from all of the negative reviews and the thought of WASTING so much space and putting the DJ booth on the stage was ridiculous knowing that you are going to have a sold out (over sold) night and decide to waste perfectly good chill and dance space for about 150-200 ppl that the stage can fill?

Heard that Jimmy Van M played a banging set and set the stage for the duo but they just fell a little short this time... probably from their set they played the night before at Sona. Undoubtly they are both AMAZING DJs... actually they are all including Jimmy Van M (major props to him)... but I think they just had an off night.

I'm going to be in Toronto @ the Kool Haus to catch this leg of their tour... and excited as there's going to be 3000+ ppl and hopefully the vibe will be good! Anyone going up there? Let me know! Maybe we can meet up inside!

Have fun this weekend w/ Deep Dish! They should be in Avalon instead of Axis but considering they will be playing in the more intimate enviornment, it will be bangin and the vibe should be great!