Clubplanet Nightlife Community

why do some of u hate Oakie so much

because most of the people on this board are followers...

i feel oakenfold is pretty good...though when you are at the level he is, every single record he plays will be examined and questioned....ON TOP OF THAT, since everyone, i mean EVERYONE, knows who he is, having the distinction of playing merely playing 2 hour sets and being the world's highest payed DJ, he has to play to the crowd and try pleasing everyone at the same time....so of course people arent going to like him...

i say enjoy yourself...youll be checking out one of the pioneers of today's trance...

lets see...perfecto presents traveling (featuring half the tracklisting of another world)...swordfish (ie oakie whoring minself in hollywood)....his ibiza disc...

i admit it i liked another world a lot, but it seems like he changed his style to appeal towards the masses (esp the "alternative rock" crowd)

Originally posted by ynnej

Tonight will be my first time hearing him live, and im excited, i think his remixes are good and his cd and live sets on the radio.....So why do some of u hate..other then the reason he only spins for like 2 hours which i find cheesy.

I think it has to do with his drastic change of style over the past two years, he was on the cutting edge of trance in 99 (alright maybe a little commercial, but still elevated it in many regards)...now certainly more break beat/electronica...but he has his own style and should be applauded for that, i have to say that the best show ive ever been to was oakie at ra in '99 @ las vegas, and i'm sure he can still lay it down

Originally posted by highmay

because most of the people on this board are followers...

i feel oakenfold is pretty good...though when you are at the level he is, every single record he plays will be examined and questioned....ON TOP OF THAT, since everyone, i mean EVERYONE, knows who he is, having the distinction of playing merely playing 2 hour sets and being the world's highest payed DJ, he has to play to the crowd and try pleasing everyone at the same time....so of course people arent going to like him...

i say enjoy yourself...youll be checking out one of the pioneers of today's trance...

I have to agree with you, but I think it goes beyond just this board itself. I think Oakey is good, he's not what he used to be but I think people need to relax on ripping him. If you listen to a lot of his essential mixes from the past, you realize how good he was and can be in the future. I think he just got to popular, so people starting hating him - he gets more shit than draper on this board and you can't even compare the two!!!

Originally posted by ynnej

Tonight will be my first time hearing him live, and im excited, i think his remixes are good and his cd and live sets on the radio.....So why do some of u hate..other then the reason he only spins for like 2 hours which i find cheesy.

paul oakenfold is like orange soda, the first glass is heaven then its all down hill. And also not unlike orange soda, one has a tendency to "grow" out of it as time goes on. But then again, we can't expect something from everyone.

Originally posted by msoprano13

how can you hate break beats:confused: :confused:

after going to daytona and ALL you hear are breakbeats for an entire night? when clubs close there at 3, and you heard not ONE house or trance song? yes, you can hate breakbeats...

DJs use breakbeats to "wake up" the crowd...you hear the same repetetive beats for 4 or 5 hours straight, and a half hour of breakbeats is something that can throw a wrench in the routine, get new energy from the crowd, and at the same time, give them more diversified tastes...

breakbeats, for me, now, are OK...not something great...at least not yet...

Oakenfold's done a lot of things for electronic music...true. There's no one that can deny that. However, he is NOT the greatest DJ EVER, so proclaimed by many people. He is a businessman who knows what he's doing, that's all.

DJ wise, he isn't miserable or anything, but his skills does NOT justify his fee, his short sets, and the amount of hype that surrounds his person. There are much better DJs out there that has as much skill as he does and spins just as well, if not better, that you odn't have to spend a bundle on to see.

Whatever, I'm sure you'll have fun tonight ('cept the massive crowd, maybe), so enjoy yourself. Don't bother with what other people think.

Personally, I like Oakenfold. I have alot of his cd's and what not. I've only seen him live once and I dont plan on doing that anytime soon since most of the events he does get packed like crazy.....There are alot of clubbers who might hate him because he brings that music to a mainstream audience. But I think within the industry he is respected by alot of the dj's and producers. I guess with success comes the jealousy and hatred.....But one the other hand no one talks shit about BT who has worked with N'Sync...

after going to daytona and ALL you hear are breakbeats for an entire night? when clubs close there at 3, and you heard not ONE house or trance song? yes, you can hate breakbeats...

DJs use breakbeats to "wake up" the crowd...you hear the same repetetive beats for 4 or 5 hours straight, and a half hour of breakbeats is something that can throw a wrench in the routine, get new energy from the crowd, and at the same time, give them more diversified tastes...

. . . you went to 600 North didnt you ? . . . ;) . . .

amen to that

Originally posted by amdmaxx

Oakey Gatecrasher 99, Creamfields 99, China 99, Havana 99, 98...

Live @ space in Ibiza...

Essential Millennium mix and esspential 2001 New years mix..

All classics..

man....u are so right

99....his world tour...nothing could touch that...

it is disappointing that he's in this ego trip funk where anything besides hollywood stuff seems below his league....

but i too believe he will see the light again...and once again play the music that made him who he is....which will please all in waiting

Originally posted by msoprano13

how can you hate break beats:confused: :confused:

To quote Tom Stephan "it breaks my 4/4 disco bassline rule".

My own opinion is that breakbeats are fine in moderation, but I have trouble believeing Oakey even likes them; he just plays breakbeat now b/c it's trendy and he thinks it makes him look cool- much how he thinks playing Centro makes him look cool. My own opinion? He's a twat.

Originally posted by crobra

I have to agree with you, but I think it goes beyond just this board itself. I think Oakey is good, he's not what he used to be but I think people need to relax on ripping him. If you listen to a lot of his essential mixes from the past, you realize how good he was and can be in the future. I think he just got to popular, so people starting hating him - he gets more shit than draper on this board and you can't even compare the two!!!

i think your missing the point , people dont hate him because he is popular, hes been popular for years, pvd sasha and digweed carl cox are very popular but we dont hate them because they are amazing djs, we love them to say the least, he doesnt have that magic touch he once did, hes become a sellout and way too commercial and he did it to himself, all his sets are pretty much the same now too, hes more of a businessman than a dj...

ok its like this

Oakenfold the Good:

Havana Essential Mix <-- a genius mix

Miami Essential Mix

Live from Space EM

Another World

Global Underground - New York

Global Underground - Oslo

Oakenfold the Ugly:

Swordfish , one bad catch

Travelling, what the fuck was that???

P presents Ibiza, first 20 min on 1st disc are great, then its downhill from there

listen, oakey is a gifted dj, no ??, but the shit he plays lately is obnoxious

I use to be a big oakenfold fan from 1993 to 1998

He use to be good ..

Became a leader ..

But now since the recent 3 years

The guy does not give a shit about spining which he should be cause its his roots ..

He spins the same 2 hours for 2 to 3 months .. every place he goes .. song after song the same thing

Trance is old now .. Its more about pure house music now .. He needs to change his style .. even thou he is spining some new great break stuff .. but again every gig he plays will be the same ..

He makes new fans .. educational wise its fawking good .. but trust me the same ppl will turn him down later on..

He is more into commerical stuff .. but once u get into the underground .. u like it that way ..

He likes to make money .. the guy has 2 kids is married!!

New talents out there are amazing like how oakey use to be back in the days!!

children of the house, Its all about House music!!

Oakie was a big inspiration in life for me!!! He was one of the first DJ's to really blow my mind when he first played New York - When he rocked Vinyl like no other!!! - Now he showboats like a madman pointing into the crowd like he is a god... He was in my opinion an amazing Dj a few years back when he would work the mixer and really bang out record after record!!! Now he slaps the cross fader over and points at the crowd and everyone goes nuts - the true skills of a DJ are to take two records and blend them together to make one track that no one has ever heard not to just put a record on and point at the crowd. Anyone of us could mix one record into another but two let two records ride together for more tham a minute is the true skills of a DJ...

Mad props to Oakie he has taken Dj'ing to the next level in the accepted eyes of the commercial world and is making more money than most of us would dream of making!!!

Do we support the true artists within our own communities who bring us joy every night here in the hot ass apple or will we continue to pay crazy amounts of $$$ to see DJ's who have made it to the top because thay have spent shitloads of money on PR companies to get them where they are???

Long live the true art of mixing two pieces of Vinyl together!!!

Originally posted by bsb2002

he just plays breakbeat now b/c it's trendy

Not that this has anything to do with Oakenfold, but I'm getting sick of peole saying that breaks are trendy right now. Maybe it's popular for progressive DJs to throw in a breaks track here or there, but it's far from being the 'trendy' scene. If it was, there might be ONE night where they play breaks in a club somewhere in this city, and I might be getting gigs...

I can understand why some people don't like it, just like I hope those people can understand why I don't like trance or progressive, but there's DEFINATELY much more to the world of breaks than what you'd hear in FL (which even I generally don't like)...

Originally posted by brickhouse

Not that this has anything to do with Oakenfold, but I'm getting sick of peole saying that breaks are trendy right now. Maybe it's popular for progressive DJs to throw in a breaks track here or there, but it's far from being the 'trendy' scene. If it was, there might be ONE night where they play breaks in a club somewhere in this city, and I might be getting gigs...

I can understand why some people don't like it, just like I hope those people can understand why I don't like trance or progressive, but there's DEFINATELY much more to the world of breaks than what you'd hear in FL (which even I generally don't like)...

actually what i meant is it's trendy in Britain, not NY. In England right now people like Stanton Warriors, Plump DJs, Tayo, Koma and Bones, etc, etc, etc are suddenly very popular and hip and people are bandwagoning.