Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Would a radio station that played house, trance do good

i'm not getting into details right now, but the question to me is a dead end...America will never bring "underground" music to "mainstream" radio...it just wont happen..for better or for worse...europe has developed a culture while we sit here and simply create and destroy but never cultivate - whether it be from greed, ego, or pure prejudice...it is truly a shame...but nonetheless, for me at least, it's the truth...god bless the web and mp3s and internet radio stations...there in lies our salvation...

I think a radio station like that would be great especially for the New York metro area but the challenge would finding someone that would be willing to invest that kind of money. Most radio station owners just want to play it safe and go for mainstream formats so that they can charge more for advertising which is how they make their money.

Originally posted by danwilson

Lets say there was a radio station in NY, that played house, Trance and dance mixes. Lets say you put the best DJs from Ny on it. Vicious, Draper, Tenaglia, Sean Ink, Rob Corbett, and the rest. How would this station do.

Radio station would be cool, but I don't think it would ever happen.

As far as Vicious and Draper go.... blah.

This station could start off broadcasting at night and then expand. What are you thinking?

OK here is here is the problem- all told from someone who works for 2 stations in NYC.

First NYC is market #1 for radio and tv- NO owner wants to 'play around' with stations in the number one market. There is a person who shall remain nameless that wanted to turn a certain dance station near 103 on the dial into a more underground station - he brought the idea to the parent companys VP's, etc. and they said no way in hell.

There is no available frequencies to add another station in NY, so for a 'real' dance station to become a reality one of two things have to happen:

1.)An existing station changes its format

2.)A private group can try and buy the license to an existing station from its owners (expet to spend about 400-900 MILLION)

So since #2 probably is never going to happen, lets look at basicly the only two stations that could make the swich.

Z100 is trying to get into mainstream 'club' music now, but they could never go all underground and hard shit because they would loose their young kid, and older female ratings- which make up a large chunk of those who are listening.

KTU just tries to serve too many people. They want to hold onto the young crowd with dance mixes of balads, they want to hold onto the older crowd with all the old disco shit, and they want to be 'the beat of new york' with all the new club stuff. If they go to the extreme then they loose 2/3rds of their audience...

I PERSONALLY think that a station that was programmed well could do VERY well in this market. But it will probably never happen.

Bern

something like this prolly won't happen in our area, there just isn't enough demand for it...and while i dream of tuning into a station on a friday or saturday nite before going out and listening to some good beats like BBCs essentials, it just won't happen...in europe its integrated into their society not like it is here...most broadcastors are afraid to take such huge chances...ugh fawking MAINSTREAM teens...how many stations can you have that play the same shit?!

What are you guys on? How about fucking WNYU 89.1? They have good shit almost every night during the year whenever I tune in. If youre an NYU student, you can have a radio show (or you wait until the ppl w/ seniority for good spots leave) :P. There are other ones though im sure.

College radio is where its at.....nothing good EVER gets played on commercial radio....because they're not on the air to play good music just to make money....big labels come in with $$$ and stacks of shitty records and tell them "play this every hour for two weeks". No wonder then it becomes "the #1 hit".....

If I were all of you, I'd look forward to a 'pure dance' station coming to NYC soon. There are now 3 of these such stations playing in Chicago, Miami and Denver. Now for those of you who hoped it would be all progressive and hard house - that's not exactly what these three play. But they play a very very good mix of house, euro and mainstream trance ALL THE TIME!

Listen to these guys on the net, then go write KTU about how much they suck.

ENERGY 92.7 Chicago energy92fm.com

PARTY 93.1 Miami party931.com

Denver station just came on this week.

Also check out USDANCERADIO.com for more info about dance radio.

Keep your fingers crossed guys..

Lata

Djmadnan